• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why follow cycling?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I understand that this sort of topic has come up before but I just wonder with all the doping in cycling, why do you follow the sport? How can you watch the sport when you could make a plausible case to say that it is just based on lies and corruptioin?

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Why? Because I enjoy watching it.

Lies and corruption are a part of every sport, I don't see why I should stop watching cycling because of it. I notice among my friends that people who watch cycling for a long tend to get immune to the scandals, just appreciate the racing for what it is, maybe next week I'll find out someone else actually won the race, but I'll worry about that next week.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Because 1) its great to watch, dope or no dope 2) when they are speaking the truth the riders dont seem to think they are cheating each other 3) the entire history of mankind is littered with the failed attempts of old people like me trying to stop young people taking drugs, and it will never happen.

As long as they don't kill themselves in the process (even Ricco), and thank heavens we are past the worst of that, then I will continue to watch.

What ****es me off about the sport is (my perception of) the hypocrisy of the UCI, what an utter tool I consider McQuaid to be and the complete denial of other sports about their own PED issues - which mean morons shout and spit things at me when i am on my bike, particularly when TT/racing.

But none of that ****es me off enough to stop me riding or watching.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Its bloody fun! Yes I would prefer it clean, it would (hopefully) be better races. But yeah, the spring classics and the GT's is mightily fun to watch, and I will continue to do so, as long as I feel that way.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Being honest, I have a favorite team and I cheer for them. If they quit I think I would stop following the sport as much as I do now.

However, I should admit that I started to respect and like this sport more when I started to be a cycling fan. Before I thought that this sport is for "girls" (don't take it as an offense) if you compare it to say boxing or MMA. Now I think this sport is for really tough guys and great athletes with charisma and strong personalities.

So if my team quits I would still respect cycling for its history, aesthetics, great riders and traditions, but would not follow it partly because of doping scandals.

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
because we can empathise with the effort they're putting in, albeit at our own level, we all know the muscle burning, lung bursting efforts that are going on and it feels o so good to be sat on the sofa with a glass of wine watching someone else struggling. A because the end of a stage is as exciting as the start of an F1 race

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I understand that this sort of topic has come up before but I just wonder with all the doping in cycling, why do you follow the sport? How can you watch the sport when you could make a plausible case to say that it is just based on lies and corruptioin?

Why follow NFL? there is much more doping in that sport.

I follow both NFL and Cycling because when its "game time" I am entertained. Love the drama.

I just like it, as others have said. I think cycling is trying to clean up the sport and is doing more that other sports in that effort, and as long as that persists I think cycling will also be a cleaner sport than some other sports. So from that point of view, cycling isn't all that bad.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
At this point, it is a constant train-wreck of drama. In the off season, I pretty much just check into the clinic.

But I will say, if Contador is in the tour this year, I'll just check out. That would be a disappointment, but him racing is a dumb joke on the fans.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Oh come on, you are whining now cause Cadel Evans is going to get spanked at the TDF 2011? :D

Lots of hypocrisy as per usual...

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Because behind the smokescreen of lies and deceit, there is a sport unrivalled for what it brings to the table.

The raw beauty, emotion, intensity, intrigue, drama and amazing physical feats. I think that's as succinctly as i can put it.

If you have to ask the question, then you're heart's not really in the sport is it?

scribe said:
At this point, it is a constant train-wreck of drama. In the off season, I pretty much just check into the clinic.

But I will say, if Contador is in the tour this year, I'll just check out. That would be a disappointment, but him racing is a dumb joke on the fans.

I completely disagree. I'll be watching him race. So will you and you know it. Save the dramatics, you'll be glued to the screen just like everyone else.

Dumb joke on the fans? Yeah, if Contador doesn't race, it'll be a clean Tour, right? :rolleyes:

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
I completely disagree. I'll be watching him race. So will you and you know it. Save the dramatics, you'll be glued to the screen just like everyone else.

Dumb joke on the fans? Yeah, if Contador doesn't race, it'll be a clean Tour, right? :rolleyes:

They finally get one in their net, and they'd rather not do anything about it. Dumb joke, and I won't watch it.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
They finally get one in their net, and they'd rather not do anything about it. Dumb joke, and I won't watch it.

Huh?

Finally?

I guess I imagined Vino, Basso, Valv, Di Luca, Jan, Rasmussen, Landis and all those other small fry getting busted.

So if Contador doesnt do the Tour and Schleck wins it without really trying, then that would be a victory for clean cycling?

I like the poster who said 'if you have to ask, you dont really love the sport' if you love the sport then it transcends all the BS and you take an accomodating view of its indiscretions.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Winterfold said:
Huh?

Finally?

I guess I imagined Vino, Basso, Valv, Di Luca, Jan, Rasmussen, Landis and all those other small fry getting busted.

So if Contador doesnt do the Tour and Schleck wins it without really trying, then that would be a victory for clean cycling?

I like the poster who said 'if you have to ask, you dont really love the sport' if you love the sport then it transcends all the BS and you take an accomodating view of its indiscretions.

Baby steps. Effective controls are the only way to save the sport.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Why watch it?
Like others wrote, because I enjoy it. I'm not sure why doping/not doping would be a factor in my enjoyment level.

I'm more disappointed not to see top level talents like Valverde or Di Luca
Sports like football aren't stupid enough to go out of their way ban a Messi or C Ronaldo.
I'd rather see Contador in Grand Tours rather than watch "clean" battles between Hesjidal and Van den Broeck. And that's not meant as an offense to the last 2 riders because they're good... but not the best.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
bert1776 said:
Why watch it?
Like others wrote, because I enjoy it. I'm not sure why doping/not doping would be a factor in my enjoyment level.

I'm more disappointed not to see top level talents like Valverde or Di Luca
Sports like football aren't stupid enough to go out of their way ban a Messi or C Ronaldo.
I'd rather see Contador in Grand Tours rather than watch "clean" battles between Hesjidal and Van den Broeck. And that's not meant as an offense to the last 2 riders because they're good... but not the best.
Lets assume Ryder and VdB are clean. Do you actually think a clean Berto is better? And how do you know everything you are posting? Wouldn't it be nice to actually know....

scribe said:
Lets assume Ryder and VdB are clean. Do you actually think a clean Berto is better? And how do you know everything you are posting? Wouldn't it be nice to actually know....

I'm sensing a disturbance in the force, I agree with Scribe twice in one day (and it's early yet).

Fortunately D. Stoller has stepped up as twit of the day.
Originally Posted by davestoller
Lance retires and the thread goes into the "Clinic"?
This says all one needs to know about CN, the forums here, and the mods.
:rolleyes:

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:

Ye those ppl who said that are lying themselves... you know that you are going to see it I know that you will... maybe you are not going te be happy but you are going to see it...

If Contador were not going to ride Le Tour this year I'm still going to see it... I'd be sad cuz Contador wouldnt be there but I'd try to enjoy Alejet sprints and I'd be cheering him over ManxMan... or I'd be cheering other sprinters to beat ManxMan... I'd be cheering Basso or Soler or Cuddles to drop Andrew in the 1st mountain at 3% or praying that Andrew drop his chain again and have some big laughs... etc...

I just love the sport... maybe I dont know everything about it or all the stadistics or all the riders but I try to learn each day... Doping? C'est normal... cycling were just clean in the very beginning but since ancients times doping has been there... all the champions has doped and cycling is not clean nowadays... maybe you are angry with Contador's case and you can call him Contadope or Pharmador, etc.. but is hypocrite dont do the same with the whole peloton... or do you think that Contador is the only one juicying?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

well there are lies and corruption in all aspects of human activity generally so it is what it is. besides its sport i still like it anyways.

TRENDING THREADS