• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why follow cycling?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
To anyone who followed the sport during the 1990's...We had Mr 60%'s by the score.
Are we expected to give the sport up over Señor 0.0000000000050 gram?

You're right, it's just one rider. It's not a systematic problem or anything...

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I follow cycling because its unpredictable. Any day could be any man/woman's day to shine and stand on the top podium. Sprints are pure short attention span theater, but the chess game to get to that point fascinates me. The tactics, the chases, the insane escape group that embarrasses the peleton, and the unfortunate riders that get swept up mere meters from the line. Its pure drama. Cycling is about life, its about feast and famine and there is more famine then feast, which makes those wins, that much sweeter. Cycling is not the easiest sport to pick up either, there is a steep learning curve, but once you get it, you get it. Even with doping scandals and disappointments, like an abused lover I keep coming back for more.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Gesink a juicer?

I'm skeptical about all who win in cycling.
But I'm also a patriot, especially when it comes to sports.
If Gesink continues to perform, I'll be watching this years Tour with increased interest.

Thus that sound hypocrit? Guess it does.

QS to other Dutchies on this forum: If Gesink wins the Tour, do we agree that he's a juicer?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
If Gesink continues to perform, I'll be watching this years Tour with increased interest.

QS to other Dutchies on this forum: If Gesink wins the Tour, do we agree that he's a juicer?

Favoritism for certain riders is normal. It's not hypocritical to want to see them win, as there is no proof they are not clean. Sorry, but winning does not make a doper, and the distinction is fair. The pressure should always be applied to the administration of controls. Sp

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:

Favoritism for certain riders is normal. It's not hypocritical to want to see them win, as there is no proof they are not clean. Sorry, but winning does not make a doper, and the distinction is fair. The pressure should always be applied to the administration of controls. Sport will never get clean(er) without that emphasis.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Met de Versnelling said:
Because behind the smokescreen of lies and deceit, there is a sport unrivalled for what it brings to the table.

The raw beauty, emotion, intensity, intrigue, drama and amazing physical feats. I think that's as succinctly as i can put it.

If you have to ask the question, then you're heart's not really in the sport is it?
Beautifully put. Indeed, if you have this reaction to cycling then apply the same logic/standard to all the other sports. If people did then there would be very empty NFL, AFL, NHL, MLB & Football stadia.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I understand that this sort of topic has come up before but I just wonder with all the doping in cycling, why do you follow the sport? How can you watch the sport when you could make a plausible case to say that it is just based on lies and corruptioin?
Because I understand the way that the sport has evolved and can't just walk away from it.

I've been following this sport since 83. I knew then that there were deals within deals & nefarious goings on. I saw Millar stiffed by the Spanish combine in 83, Fignon stitched up in Italy and I knew about the "bombs" that riders took in the final kms to get a boost.

Cycling has a rich and colourful past but that is not a reason to ditch it, far from it it is a reason to look deeper into it. It is a sport that has always been one that the fans can truly emulate their heroes. The only way any average joe gets to play at Wembley or the San Siro is if they're a terminally ill kid. Any of us can ride the roads that Coppi, Merkcx or Fignon raced on. You can even ride the Manchester Track in your lunch break! No way in hell could you get to have a kick-about on the pitch at Old Trafford!

As Met de Versnelling posted, if you have to ask this question then perhaps you'd be better off following Crown Bowling or Tiddleywinks!

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
This is a great sport. There are clean riders and there are doped riders, but every race has competition, drama, and suffering. Throw in the unpredictable factor and I have been hooked for decades. When I look at my bike I get excited and can't wait for my next ride. I think of races and racing when I am riding and I push harder. Competitive cycling in general just gets my heart pumping - I have trouble explaining to others why I love this sport so much because a lot of it boils down to it being a passion and my love of the bicycle in general.

The thing is, nothing in this world is perfect. Athletes who dope are assholes in my opinion. But, I'm not going to give up on the sport or not watch it because of the bad apples. Hope is something I believe in and I hope for clean competition and I hope for progress in positive ways in cycling. If I gave up on everything where cheating is involved I would have had to walk away from my country a long time ago.

TRENDING THREADS