• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why I'll Never Cheer for a British Team

After reading all of the information about how the Olympic team from Great Britain pushed the envelope of rules by having an ambiguous way to purchase the Olympic bikes through their website, to have the latest admission by the British team just makes me sick.

It may be in letter of the rules, but seems to violate the spirit of the Olympics.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...-sprint_232933

Hindes, who made the switch from Germany to Britain only a year ago, has made the demanding “man one” starting position in the three-man event his own following a series of stunning performances over one lap of the track.

But he came close to sending Britain crashing out of the competition when his front wheel skidded only seconds after he left the start gate with Jason Kenny and Sir Chris Hoy on his wheel.

The top two teams from the first round qualified for the gold medal match. And, facing the prospect of losing just a fraction of a second to his rivals with a slow start, Hindes decided on some remedial action.

“So I crashed, I did it on purpose just to get the restart, just to have the fastest ride. It was all planned really,” said Hindes.
Pretty pathetic in my opinion.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Must be somewhere you can shoehorn intentionally crashing as part of the marginal gains ethos. Along with heated shorts...though it would be hilarious if they received vibrating shorts instead, but Brailsford may have caught on after too many track cyclists were smoking cigarettes after their warm up.

Marva32 said:
After reading all of the information about how the Olympic team from Great Britain pushed the envelope of rules by having an ambiguous way to purchase the Olympic bikes through their website,

In the Clinic I started a thread about British cheating with bikes that are obviously not really commerically available.

As for intentionally crashing, what is the difference between this and the badminton players?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
In the Clinic I started a thread about British cheating with bikes that are obviously not really commerically available.

As for intentionally crashing, what is the difference between this and the badminton players?

There is no difference between this and the Badminton.As for the the bikes, I don't think they even provide any advantage other than Made ti measure.

BroDeal said:

In my mind, there is no difference.

simo1733 said:
There is no difference between this and the Badminton.As for the the bikes, I don't think they even provide any advantage other than Made ti measure.

I don't think they provide any advantage because British Cycling does not have the money that the big bike companies have to do aerodynamics and materials research and development. How many millions did Cervelo spend on development of the P5? BC is wasting money. If custom frames are desired then there are several companies that make custom carbon for less money than it costs to roll your own.

Even so, it is clear that the Brits are cheating. For road events it does not make a difference or is probably detrimental to the Brits. For track events it may matter since none of the big companies have an incentive to put any money into track frames.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

Any bike is commercially available if you have enough money - Pat McQuaid talked about the high cost track bike frames (>$100K) a few years ago.

I note that Wiggins rode a Pinerello during his TT race.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Deliberately crashing. Patent cheating. They should be DQ and thrown out of the games like the Chinese and Koreans in badminton. Obviously the famous oath taken by the athletes at the opening ceremony should be eliminated altogether as it is a huge waste of time.

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
So lets get this right, every other team is fair and sportmanslike and the big bad british team cheat there way to winning,

Wow you guys are really bitter, us brits arent very good at many sports but when we do everyone wants to knock us down!

I have to admit the young Hindes must be thick as **** to actually say on camera he crashed on purpose

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
pugdog said:
Deliberately crashing. Patent cheating. They should be DQ and thrown out of the games like the Chinese and Koreans in badminton. Obviously the famous oath taken by the athletes at the opening ceremony should be eliminated altogether as it is a huge waste of time.

This.

You do crash on porpouse and you're so smart to even admit it on an interview? And the UCI/IOC not doing anything??

maestro01 said:
So lets get this right, every other team is fair and sportmanslike and the big bad british team cheat there way to winning,

Wow you guys are really bitter, us brits arent very good at many sports but when we do everyone wants to knock us down!

I have to admit the young Hindes must be thick as **** to actually say on camera he crashed on purpose

Don't make this into some persecution BS, if Hindes crashed on purpose, and even more so if it's accurate that this "option" was discussed beforehand by his coaches (!), it's extremely unsportsmanlike. Not only because it's being a sore loser, but also because it breaks the other team's concentration on the track as well.

It's not about what other teams do or don't, it's the British team getting caught with it's hand in the cookie jar here.

eta:
kiysc.jpg

Did people see the interview he gave or just read the workds on the page?
The reason I ask is that I only saw the interview and he was laughing as he said it. It seemed to me that the comment was made with plenty of ironic intent.

I also think that as the rival teams and officials were all over the other rule infingements last night at the velodrome there is very litte chance that he would have got a restart for a deliberate foul rather than a human/mechanicial error

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
spalco said:
Don't make this into some persecution BS, if Hindes crashed on purpose, and even more so if it's accurate that this "option" was discussed beforehand by his coaches (!), it's extremely unsportsmanlike. Not only because it's being a sore loser, but also because it breaks the other team's concentration on the track as well.

It's not about what other teams do or don't, it's the British team getting caught with it's hand in the cookie jar here.

eta:
kiysc.jpg

Probably got confused with the thread title, does look like persecution BS

All that said, crashing on purpose is without doubt unsportsman like. Barely believable that its legal. Unpleasant to see even for a brit.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

The German's have the same deal with their track bikes but no one has said anything

Is the track team making the road section Team GB's biggest success?

OK: The rules allow for a re-start, if there is a "technical problem" within the first 10 pedal revolutions.
It happened in the first heat and does happen fairly frequently.
Certainly, Hindes appeared not to get out of the gate properly.
Hoy and Kenny put their hands up, before Hindes took his "dive",
signifying a problem.
More often than not, a restart is given.

What isn't normal, is for a rider to make such a comment, post event.
At 19, after the excitement winning an Olympic GM, he let his enthusiasm get the better of him and was too open with his explanation.

In truth, this sort of thing happens fairly regularly, as the rules allow such leeway.

France’s national team chief for track, Isabelle Gautheron, said the team
knew Hindes had crashed to obtain a restart, but that it would do nothing to
change the result.

In a telephone call with AFP, she said: “It’s pretty obvious from the video
pictures that he crashed to get the restart.

There is nothing in the rules to sanction such an action. But now that
he’s come out and said it, I hope the authorities consider making a change to
the rules."

The rules DQ'd the GB girls from their Team Sprint, they don't apply to the men.
Swings and roundabouts.

As for the badminton comparison, they were DQ'd for not trying to win.
i.e. Trying to lose.

I think you will find that GB were not trying to lose, but the opposite.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:

I agree, there is no difference at all. They should have their medals taken away. Absolutely disgraceful. Give the silver team, gold.

TRENDING THREADS