• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why I'll Never Cheer for a British Team

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
auscyclefan94 said:
I agree, there is no difference at all. They should have their medals taken away. Absolutely disgraceful. Give the silver team, gold.

No different to having a man drop out of the team pursuit, just after the half way mark, because he was slowing up the other three.
Guess who pulled that little stunt, yesterday?
Gamesmanship, not cheating.

Have to laugh at the Aussie spin on this. Female reporter talking about the UK's one eyed fans.
Clearly, she wasn't present at the Melbourne World Championships, where the home fans raised the roof for the Oz team pursuit but you could hear a pin drop in the Velodrome for GB's run.:rolleyes:

Fact is, although they would like to think they are different, GB amd Oz share exactly the same mentality.

Oh and not a peep about Forsterman and Bourgain's "spirit of the rules" inclusions.

Carstenbf said:
Ah, so it's allright as long as you keep you mouth shut about it?

Where did I say it was?
More experienced athletes/coaches use the rules to their advantage, too, but don't talk about it to the media.

You know, I'm fine with that actually. Stupid rules + top professionals, and we'll see things like this.

BUT, then the brits don't get to take the "high and mighty" route, acting like ambassadors of sportsmanship and fair play. I think thats what ticks people off at times.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It's a sad story of a young impressionable German who joins Team GB only to be forced into a programme of cheating and [clinic edit] so widespread and acknowledged within the team that our young victim naively tells his sordid tale to the friendly awaiting press but alas how was he to know that what he had been taught was unsportsmanlike, was cheating, and so that night the young German goes to bed and is thankful that he is part of Team GB and not some far flung team from Asia and so he will be free from much of the usual pressures and derision that cheating may bring.

Machu Picchu said:
It's a sad story of a young impressionable German who joins Team GB only to be forced into a programme of cheating and [clinic edit] so widespread and acknowledged within the team that our young victim naively tells his sordid tale to the friendly awaiting press but alas how was he to know that what he had been taught was unsportsmanlike, was cheating, and so that night the young German goes to bed and is thankful that he is part of Team GB and not some far flung team from Asia and so he will be free from much of the usual pressures and derision that cheating may bring.

Care to quote a link?

There was a time around here that such blatant trolling would not be tolerated.

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
So it comes to winning at any cost?
The problem is first and foremost there has not been broken any rules, so it's the rules you have to reassess, the man is just honest and stand up and say what others already know and the question is, if not all teams have made such an agreement to crash if an accident occurs. Whether it is good sportsman ship or not is debatable, but who think it's great to win because others have accidents.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Care to quote a link?

There was a time around here that such blatant trolling would not be tolerated.

Well I would post a bbc link but they appear not to have bothered :rolleyes:

link

As far as trolling, hopefully we're all able to enjoy some good humor here but perhaps as your man says "common sense is not so common".

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Fidolix said:
So it comes to winning at any cost?
The problem is first and foremost there has not been broken any rules, so it's the rules you have to reassess, the man is just honest and stand up and say what others already know and the question is, if not all teams have made such an agreement to crash if an accident occurs. Whether it is good sportsman ship or not is debatable, but who think it's great to win because others have accidents.

I wouldnt call it "honesty" but not playing it "smart" (in a bad way, of course).

According to the last reports of cyclingnews at the post victory press conference he changed his version of the facts.

Machu Picchu said:
Well I would post a bbc link but they appear not to have bothered :rolleyes:

link

As far as trolling, hopefully we're all able to enjoy some good humor here but perhaps as your man says "common sense is not so common".

Where does it state your claim of:
"a programme of cheating and [clinic edit] so widespread and acknowledged within the team"

There is no good humour towards GB, here, during these games, just the contrary.
Humour at the expense of GB, for some, maybe.

Once again: It's within the rules, so it isn't cheating.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Where does it state your claim of:

There is no good humour towards GB, here, during these games, just the contrary.
Humour at the expense of GB, for some, maybe.

Once again: It's within the rules, so it isn't cheating.

Hindes comments relate to a team strategy of ‘bad start – go down’ which I (tongue in cheek) called a programme of cheating, as far as the GB rubbish I can only assume you to be a rather humourless individual as I’ve no issues with the majority of the comments on this forum.

And what does the rules have to do with cheating? one can easily cheat yet stay within the rules and before you ask link.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
King Boonen said:
So rather than take action the thread just gets shifted?

and how is moving the thread not taking action? might not be the correct action but as I said (and you have demostrated) "common sense is not so common".

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
OP.

Don't cheer for a British team, then. Like we care. There's more than enough of us cheering for them already.

The Clinic doesn't like the British. Okay, we get it.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
No different to having a man drop out of the team pursuit, just after the half way mark, because he was slowing up the other three.
Guess who pulled that little stunt, yesterday?
Gamesmanship, not cheating.

IS that what he said right after the heat? That he was slowing them up?

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Apart from the second point, all of those definitions imply breaking the rules as far as I can see.

1. act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage

He did both these things, whether it was against the rules is irrelevant, it was still cheating.

Machu Picchu said:
1. act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage

He did both these things, whether it was against the rules is irrelevant, it was still cheating.

Surely both honesty and fairness are governed by the rules? I would have thought that by definition you can only behave dishonestly if it is against the rules? And he hasn't lied, he's even said what he did. Although it feels like we are arguing semantics now.

I'd agree it might not be in the Olympic spirit, but then again surely the point of sport is to win within the rules? Which he did.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
and how is moving the thread not taking action? might not be the correct action but as I said (and you have demostrated) "common sense is not so common".

So again, why has this thread found its way to the Clinic?