• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why I'll Never Cheer for a British Team

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
To the OP, other than your fellow Brit-bashers in the Clinic, do you think anyone cares?

Well, you appear to.

To the OP - your title begs the question, did you ever cheer for a British Team?

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
King Boonen said:
Surely both honesty and fairness are governed by the rules? I would have thought that by definition you can only behave dishonestly if it is against the rules?

Obviously not.

King Boonen said:
And he hasn't lied, he's even said what he did. Although it feels like we are arguing semantics now.

The act was dishonest, he admitted the act but then retracted this at a later press conference thus he too (with the help of Team GB management) became dishonest.

King Boonen said:
I'd agree it might not be in the Olympic spirit, but then again surely the point of sport is to win within the rules? Which he did.

I really couldn’t care about the Olympic spirit but for those who do then I’d imagine this very much goes against it, and yes they keep the win and I've not said it should be otherwise.

King Boonen said:
Macchu Piccu's first post I think, although deleting it might have been a better option.

This could be true, I forget how fragile some are around here and how quick they are to welcome censorship.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Markyboyzx6r said:
OP.

The Clinic doesn't like the British. Okay, we get it.

To correct you, there a posters in the Clinic who do not like cheating no matter the nation. That the Olympics are held in London, UK and the GB cycling team heavily linked to Team Sky (if not the same beast) are part of the continuing discussions on doping where posters see fit.

For one who does not like generalised sweeping statements, especially in regard to your sport of rowing, it may be time to look in the mirror.

As Darryl Webster so correctly pointed out, the idea that the British have higher morals than other nations implies and that they are not prone to cheating is a total myth, but one that certain sections of the media and population like to promote.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
B_Ugli said:
So again, why has this thread found its way to the Clinic?

I don’t know, it is a forlorn thread that started its life in ‘Professional road racing’ and is now being forced to walk a long and desolate path until it finds its way home (‘Track-General’ I’d imagine would be more suitable).

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Machu Picchu said:
This could be true, I forget how fragile some are around here and how quick they are to welcome censorship.

So as no one knows why this thread was moved to the Clinic can somebody move it back onto the main forum (although reading the way its gone this is probably too late).

I dont mean to bleet on about this but its infuriating when a thread takes even a hint of straying into Clinic territory it is banished before anyone has a chance to get the discussion back on track. Its also annoying that you cant so much as mention stuff pertaining to Clinic without the whole thread being uprooted and re-planted in the Clinic. I think the mods need to realise that in the world of Pro-Cycling some discussions will stray a bit but ignoring that to be the case is a bit like trying to re-write the history books!!!!

Benotti69 said:
To correct you, there a posters in the Clinic who do not like cheating no matter the nation. That the Olympics are held in London, UK and the GB cycling team heavily linked to Team Sky (if not the same beast) are part of the continuing discussions on doping where posters see fit.

For one who does not like generalised sweeping statements, especially in regard to your sport of rowing, it may be time to look in the mirror.

OK, so assuming this is actually the case, and based upon Clinic threads and posts we have a handful of suspect Chinese, 8 badminton players and everybody who wins a medal for GB who are cheats.
Right.

Rowing? Well more ammo for you. GB girls win another gold. Definitely suspect.
This pair have only been undefeated since 2010.:rolleyes:

Can someone show me to the suspect NZ thread?
Only a couple of million population and two crushing gold medal rowing wins today alone, must be proof they are dodgy, surely?:p

B_Ugli said:
So as no one knows why this thread was moved to the Clinic can somebody move it back onto the main forum (although reading the way its gone this is probably too late).

It was moved because MP made an unlinkable (false) claim regarding GB having "program for cheating".
Unsubstantiated accusations of systematic cheating won't fly in the racing section.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Well, you appear to.

To the OP - your title begs the question, did you ever cheer for a British Team?

I'm interested in why someone makes such a post. I'm very happy if not cheering for GB make him/her feel good. It matters not to me. I'm cheering for GB and don't give a **** who anyone else cheers for, or if they sit in a dark room booing everyone.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
It was moved because MP made an unlinkable (false) claim regarding GB having "program for cheating".
Unsubstantiated accusations of systematic cheating won't fly in the racing section.

Looking back though the MP comment was largely ignored by everyone and the thread continued in a non Clinic type manner with a non clinic type title.

So again, why move it? A slight over-reaction dont you think?

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I think the fact that Hindes was so open about it makes it clear that he see's as not a big deal and thats it common practice within the team sprint event to do this. The difference is he was the first to admit to it publicly, doesn't mean other teams dont do it.

It seems like some posters are taking any opportunity they can to bash the British at the moment. Obviously success breeds jealousy. If this had been the German team no one would have batted an eyelid.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
B_Ugli said:
Looking back though the MP comment was largely ignored by everyone and the thread continued in a non Clinic type manner with a non clinic type title.

So again, why move it? A slight over-reaction dont you think?

Moving it was correct, however as I've already said it should have been moved to the ‘Track-General’ section as it primarily is about the cheating going on at the track.

Some bleating by others got it moved here though. :rolleyes:

Machu Picchu said:
Moving it was correct, however as I've already said it should have been moved to the ‘Track-General’ section as it primarily is about the cheating going on at the track.

Some bleating by others got it moved here though. :rolleyes:

Finally.
Something we agree upon.

Please don't go and start another there, though.
With all these GB bashing threads, I'm missing the Olympics.:p

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
OK, so assuming this is actually the case, and based upon Clinic threads and posts we have a handful of suspect Chinese, 8 badminton players and everybody who wins a medal for GB who are cheats.
Right.

Rowing? Well more ammo for you. GB girls win another gold. Definitely suspect.
This pair have only been undefeated since 2010.:rolleyes:

Can someone show me to the suspect NZ thread?
Only a couple of million population and two crushing gold medal rowing wins today alone, must be proof they are dodgy, surely?:p

I am sure if we could all speak Chinese we would be discussing the Chinese.

TeamSky/GB cycling are topical because of their recent performances have merited discussion.

I have never posted all GB olympians are cheats. Get off your high horse Mellow and take a bit of your avatar for a second.

If you would like to initiate discussion on other nations feel free to start a thread.

To give an example of why Sky/GB are topical, here is what Marco Pinotti said in a recent interview

The worlds are in seven weeks and I need to rest, rebuild and have a third peak of form which might be not so high.

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...mpic-ride-and-next-targets.aspx#ixzz22UQk1qpD

SkyGB can peak most of year it would appear.

I have not added anymore to the discussion of rowing as others have pointed to the cheating by GDR etc. so left it to more knowledgeable posters. But i repeat i never said the female rowers doped. I put a quote and newspaper comment together to see if peeps thought more of it.

I am not that bothered about rowing Mellow as i thought would have been obvious by my lack of further posting on the subject.
There are many sports at the games and i have not watched much of it all.

Remember that cycling has a high count of doping cases, because of due diligence by certain police forces and anti doping agencies. We know other sporting federations do a much better job than the UCI in protecting their sport from such findings.

As for NZ doping. Stephen Swart admitted it and the papers took him to task for daring to admit to it. So no doubt like other nations they look to the 'dirty reds' for doping and consider homegrown athletes are not like that.

It took Kimmage, Walsh and another journalist to call Michelle Smith out for her performances for Ireland in swimming and they were lambasted for daring to suggest their first ever 3 time olympic gold medalist would dope.

So not many dare raise their head above the paraphet in their own backyards.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Finally. Something we agree upon.

Please don't go and start another there, though.
With all these GB bashing threads, I'm missing the Olympics.:p

No worries, although hold your horses, there may be something to this:

OLYMPIC RECORD - GB SET OLYMPIC DRESSAGE RECORD
Charlotte Dujardin has set an Olympic record for Great Britain at the dressage, scoring 83.663, which is well clear of any other score to date (everyone else has scored in the 70s or lower).

:D

And then it was "a little guidance" and a protective hand from this scum:

Britain has come a long way since the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games: back then the country as a whole only earned one gold medal in rowing, and now in London they already have two golds in cycling alone with more likely to come, and new world records in team sprint and team pursuit.

Huge gains in cycling will always be met with suspicion of doping because of the sport's sordid history, but UCI president Pat McQuaid is
confident that the programme is clean and that it is its philosophy of pursuing marginal gains which has led to its success - up to and
including the Tour de France win and Olympic gold by Bradley Wiggins, and now more gold on the track.

"There is a lot of cynicism of success of Team Sky. I think a lot of that is misguided," McQuaid said before the Games commenced.

"They have constant communication between their support personnel and the athletes: they have doctors, physiologists, psychologists, sports psychologists, psychiatrists, sports psychiatrists, kinesiologists, chiropractors, nutritionists, dieticians, even an acupuncturist. They are all there to support the athletes, to ensure they can perform at the highest level.

"That works against doping. because it is when an athlete loses form and goes into a little ravine and he's trying to climb out that he considers a doping programme. The fact they have people who can judge when a rider is going down and talk to him and bring him back out - professional people - form that point of view it's a new approach, a very modern approach. I think the teams and competitors in coming years will adopt a similar approach."

It has been a 16 year journey for the British program, which has blurred the line between its development programme and professional teams with the evolution of Team Sky. It has taken huge investments of money and effort, beginning with the track cycling programme and then adding the road.

In 1996, Chris Boardman and Max Sciandri took bronze in the road events, and the entire country netted only 15 medals. The British Olympic committee looked at track cycling as a sport in which the medal count could be improved. After increasing the focus on track cycling development over two years, the team improved in 2000 to win gold in the kilo (Jason Queally), silver in team sprint (Chris Hoy, Queally and Craig MacLean) and bronze in the women's pursuit (Yvonne Gregor) and men's team pursuit (Paul Manning, Chris Newton, Bryan Steel, Bradley Wiggins).

In 2004 the progression continued with cycling doubling its gold medal count: Wiggins won the pursuit, Hoy the kilo, and it was silver for the men's pursuit team, bronze for its Madison pair. Then in Beijing, everything came together in a perfect storm of medals - seven golds on the track in addition to Nicole Cooke's road race win, four silver and two bronze, and Great Britain had nearly as many medals in cycling alone than their entire country's medal count in the whole Atlanta Games.

"The secret of that success wasn't so much 'throw money at it and you'll win'," McQuaid said. "It's what you do with it. I think British Cycling through Peter Keen, followed by David Brailsford spent the money very wisely: in terms of attention to detail, developing athletes and
developing support groups for the athletes, personnel and equipment.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/marginal-gains-bear-fruit-for-great-britain-in-olympics

It is obvious he is "we" with Sky.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
No_Balls said:
And then it was "a little guidance" and a protective hand from this scum:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/marginal-gains-bear-fruit-for-great-britain-in-olympics

It is obvious he is "we" with Sky.

I wonder what other lines get 'blurred'?

It has been a 16 year journey for the British program, which has blurred the line between its development programme and professional teams with the evolution of Team Sky. It has taken huge investments of money and effort, beginning with the track cycling programme and then adding the road

With huge investment comes the demand for results. As we have seen with the hiring of Leinders and Bartalucci ;)

Machu Picchu said:
No worries, although hold your horses, there may be something to this:

OLYMPIC RECORD - GB SET OLYMPIC DRESSAGE RECORD
Charlotte Dujardin has set an Olympic record for Great Britain at the dressage, scoring 83.663, which is well clear of any other score to date (everyone else has scored in the 70s or lower).

:D

Clearly, the hand of TeamSky/GB is behind this.:D

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Clearly, the hand of TeamSky/GB is behind this.:D

The sport has history ;)

2004 Olympic Games
Riding his horse, Waterford Crystal, he became an instant national hero, being the only Irish medalist that year. However, on 8 October 2004, it emerged that Waterford Crystal had tested positive for a prohibited substance. Components of the 'B' sample were stolen, as were documents from the Irish Equestrian Federation offices. However, the B blood sample also tested positive for prohibited, but not performance-enhancing, substances, which had been prescribed to the horse some time earlier.

Some people go to any length to get an edge.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Are you serious? I dare you to go tell an (Southern) Irishman he's British and see the reaction

I said the sport not the country. As i said don't come into the clinic with your emotions you'll end up looking stupid ;)

In Ireland this event would be viewed as something only the West Brits do. :D

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
Why is this thread, which is about dubious use of the rules in track cycling, in a subdivision of the road racing forum that is to do with drugs?

Cheating and doping are bedmates.

TRENDING THREADS