• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why I'll Never Cheer for a British Team

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wallace and Gromit said:
To the OP, other than your fellow Brit-bashers in the Clinic, do you think anyone cares?

This isn't becaue I'm a 'Brit-basher' I would have said the same thing about any team that would have laid it down to protect a placing.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
richtea said:
I've heard rumours that doing the same with MDMA helps you reach your destination quicker. Can anyone confirm?

You'd have to take a look at yourself once you started incorporating suppositories in your Saturday nights IMHO.

Dr. Maserati said:
Well, you appear to.

To the OP - your title begs the question, did you ever cheer for a British Team?

While I won't say that I've cheered for the British team, I have cheered for a number of British riders, Sir Chris Hoy is one of them. The comments about him being involved with the planning of this option has certainly tainted him as far as I'm concerned.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Markyboyzx6r said:
You pop into Dublin and ask the locals if you're in "West Britain". I'm sure they'll say yes and maybe even buy you a pint.

Crack on, it'll be worth a go.

Missed the point entirely yet again.

If I go into a city centre pub in Sheriff St, the tenters, Lord Edward st, Parnell St, Bolton St, Dolphins Barn(Dublin FYI)etc and ask the patrons what kind of folk play rugby in Ireland and they'll tell me amongst the many Bradley Wiggins tone of answer, West Brits.

But if I go into Donnybrook, Foxrock, DunLaoghaire or Killiney(Dublin FYI) i willl be told the opposite, Irishmen.

Depends where one asks.;)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
According to Wikipedia (sorry), the term `Great Britain' was first used in 1474, however Geofrey of Monmouth used the term Britannia Major (Great Britain) to differentiate it from Britannia Minor which was Brittany. I'm mainly Celtic, a mixture of Welsh, Irish, Cornish, with smaller amounts of English and Scottish in me, I prefer to be British, and not English, but that's just my romantic notions.

That is fine with me. The Celts are a fantastic race.:cool:

Some fine romantic notions on display in here lately :D

Waterloo Sunrise said:
I saw the thread title and thought it was going to be Daryl doing his little self-hating jew impression, but no, it was just a yank.

Yawn.

Great. It's not just a American conspiracy to hate on the British. The Jews are in on it too. I bet it is only a matter of time before the French and Aussies join the effort.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Hawkwood said:
Sort of, I saw a map of early (may have been 5th c) population movements around the British Isles, it was like looking at clothes in a washing machine. Celtic people moved from the West Country to Brittany and founded many of its churches. Native British/Celtic peoples were pushed to western and northern margins first by the Romans and then by the Anglo-Saxons. DNA tests have shown there is still an east/west split in the UK with those living in the East having more Anglo-Saxon genes. Then of course we have our Royal family....The lions of England flag that is flown for many sporting events, was originally the standard of the French House of Anjou!

My ancestry , apparently, has Irish, Spanish, Scot and Romany..but ultimately if we go back far enough anthropology and mitochondrial DNA suggests were all from Africa, my passport sais GB :rolleyes:

Dalakhani said:
They compete for a team that represents the UK, but happens to be mis-named "Team GB".

I do sometimes wonder how the N Irish feel about that: that they've simply been left out of the name for no logical reason. (Why can't the team be called "Team UK"?)

What's next? Just call it "Team England"?

(Didn't a couple of BBC reporters do that already this year?)

The team actually represents GB, NI and the crown dependencies (Jersey, Guernsey, Man), and those overseas territories that do not have their own NOC ( Anguilla, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Montserrat, Pitcairn Islands, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands, and Turks and Caicos Islands)

So neither GB nor GB&NI fully describes the remit of the BOA's team. It is the IOC that has given the GBR designation.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
My ancestry , apparently, has Irish, Spanish, Scot and Romany..but ultimately if we go back far enough anthropology and mitochondrial DNA suggests were all from Africa, my passport sais GB :rolleyes:

And you inherited some pretty fast genes!

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Have to laugh at the Aussie spin on this. Female reporter talking about the UK's one eyed fans.
Clearly, she wasn't present at the Melbourne World Championships, where the home fans raised the roof for the Oz team pursuit but you could hear a pin drop in the Velodrome for GB's run.:rolleyes:

Fact is, although they would like to think they are different, GB amd Oz share exactly the same mentality.

Yeah, EXACTLY the same mentality.

The mother and step-father of Australian Olympic debutant Kaarle McCulloch were subjected to a barrage of verbal abuse and taunts that led to police and security intervention at London's velodrome on the drama-filled opening day of track competition.

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
Well then its a shame we share the same passport

^o^ and what were you saying about being insulting?

whilst it's probably good that you toughen up you don't want to turn out like those in the link above ;)

autologous said:
Yeah, EXACTLY the same mentality.

Can't get into your link, but that's disgraceful.
This link works:
http://www.smh.com.au/olympics/cycl...-verbally-abused-by-brits-20120803-23kut.html
At least they arrest the b*stards.

Kaarle is quite good friends with a member of my family.

One a side note, the article also brings up the one eyed fans again.

piemonster said:
That's pretty appalling, quite ashamed of them to be honest.
I hope this is something we can all agree upon.
Shameful.

TRENDING THREADS