• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why I'll Never Cheer for a British Team

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
mastersracer said:
...because the true Olympic spirit is captured much better by USA basketball going Harlem Globetrotter on Nigeria...

As an American and kid's basketball coach, I was embarrassed by that game. One thing I've always preached is that you never run up the score. That game was over by half-time. They should have used the second half as a practice for games that were coming up.

The British media should again be ashamed of themselves though. On Irish radio tonight I listened to the interview where Hindes explained very clearly, wiht barely an accent, what he did, how he did it, why he did it and how it was planned. A British journalist then came on and used the lost in translation defense. The presenters laughed and how ridiculous he sounded. I find it sad that journalism has been reduced to this.

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I love the guy but he has an extremely thick German accent.It's more attractive than a scouse accent but you wouldn't confuse him with someone from marlborough.

autologous said:
Yeah, EXACTLY the same mentality.

It's an Anglo-Saxon thing. In the USA they have been convinced that it would be the French and or the UCI who would take down Armstrong. In the end, it was his fellow Anglos "Floyd" and "Tyler" who did the job. Bizarrely, he is also a victim of PC and America's ethnic complexities: It's time for 'whitey' to lose one of their poster boyz instead of the usual airheads from the projects.

Welcome to 21c America!

JimmyFingers said:
Appalling, appalling thread and very insulting to the British

But then that was the point, wasn't it

The World would be a safer place without the British Foreign Office and the City of London. As long as they are with us we can never be certain that the 2016 Olympiad will take place ... :)

Fidolix

BANNED
Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Britain should have been disqualified from Saturday's finals in lightweightdobbeltsculler where Mads Rasmussen and Rasmus Quist won gold.

So clear is the message from the Danish coach, Thomas Poulsen, who followed the drama closely, since one of the British shortly after the start of fell from his seat, after which the course was canceled and the judge called for restarting.
"The English should have been disqualified. Now I was just down there and saw it. He simply falls of the seat. It is a ro-error," says Thomas Poulsen.
Ro-error not mechanical damage
Within the first 100 meters, the roers are entitled to a Restart, if there is a material damage, but not if there is a fault of the roers themselves.
"So the Englishman hurries to take his seat up and say that there is something wrong with it."
"They should have been thrown out of the race," notes Thomas Poulsen of Britons who went on to win silver medals.

He rode like the other coaches along the lake to follow the race.
"I am running just behind the English coach, and he swears and svovler," says Thomas Poulsen.
"So the coach went over, and then he turned up the seat. There are some small holders and then screwed one of just to get it to look as if there was something wrong," says the coach.

France has subsequently applied for protest against the British, but the Danes have not, despite the fact that they agreed with the French to shut down a protest together.
The French boat came in fourth place.

It begins to look like the Brits are just poor sportmens with a terrible sportsmansship. Win at any cost seems to be the key word for them.

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Fidolix said:
Britain should have been disqualified from Saturday's finals in lightweightdobbeltsculler where Mads Rasmussen and Rasmus Quist won gold.

So clear is the message from the Danish coach, Thomas Poulsen, who followed the drama closely, since one of the British shortly after the start of fell from his seat, after which the course was canceled and the judge called for restarting.
"The English should have been disqualified. Now I was just down there and saw it. He simply falls of the seat. It is a ro-error," says Thomas Poulsen.
Ro-error not mechanical damage
Within the first 100 meters, the roers are entitled to a Restart, if there is a material damage, but not if there is a fault of the roers themselves.
"So the Englishman hurries to take his seat up and say that there is something wrong with it."
"They should have been thrown out of the race," notes Thomas Poulsen of Britons who went on to win silver medals.

He rode like the other coaches along the lake to follow the race.
"I am running just behind the English coach, and he swears and svovler," says Thomas Poulsen.
"So the coach went over, and then he turned up the seat. There are some small holders and then screwed one of just to get it to look as if there was something wrong," says the coach.

France has subsequently applied for protest against the British, but the Danes have not, despite the fact that they agreed with the French to shut down a protest together.
The French boat came in fourth place.

It begins to look like the Brits are just poor sportmens with a terrible sportsmansship. Win at any cost seems to be the key word for them.

Except it was shown on TV the coach did not do anything to the seat, he handed one of the rowers a screwdriver, the latter then appeared to tighten a screw on it. A rowing site is saying a wheel came off, the BBC is saying a wheel came loose. Without beng there at the time and inspecting the seat I can't see how anyone could know what actually happened.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
richtea said:
On this very specific point (which I assume is a reference to Wiggins' consistency from Paris-Nice through to the Tour): Last year, Evans won T-A, Romandie, 2nd in Dauphine and then the Tour. In 2010, Contador won Algarve, Paris-Nice, Castilla y Leon and 2nd in Dauphine (similarly consistent in 2009). What is so exceptional about Wiggins?

He's British.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I think it's time someone started a thread called "why we hate the United Kingdom"

Just get on with it and stop sniping from your various vantage points. You'll feel much better about it, ahh go on.. go on... go on, go on, go on

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
WonderLance said:
You are obviously all xenofobic, I think we can all agree on that.

Its not like they are french or italians who are obviously all cheaters

The French and Italians, crooks and villains the lot of them. And don't get me started on the Swiss

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
And this is related to road cycling how? .[/URL]

um, this is the clinic

why is this important to me?

because in the games where they banned the badminton players for unsportsmanlike behaviour, the british administrators conveniently turned their heads to ensure a gold medal

didnt these guys go away to a secret training camp, or was that the sky guys?

either way, anything for gold. rules, or not rules, sportsmanlike or unsportsmanlike

double standards, humbug! anything for gold

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Ozzie2 said:
um, this is the clinic

because in the games where they banned the badminton players for unsportsmanlike behaviour, the british administrators conveniently turned their heads to ensure a gold medal

either way, anything for gold. rules, or not rules, sportsmanlike or unsportsmanlike

If it was a secret training camp how do you know about it?

Ozzie2 said:
um, this is the clinic

The British have nothing to do with track adjudication.
That's down to the UCI appointed commissar, who is clearly pretty officious, judging from his recent outings here and in Melbourne.

Ozzie2 said:
it would appear that this is privately taken footage of the crash in discussion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js4T4u_-C7Q

on this basis, i discuss whether this can remain on youtube or not

Yeah, that certainly make things a lot clearer.:rolleyes:

Oh and hi WonderLance. Great to have you back for your unique slant on things!

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Ozzie2 said:
um, this is the clinic

What `British administrators'? I thought the commissaires, referees, and umpires were from all over the World. The badminton players made it so obvious to anyone who has played the game what they were doing that they were simply plain stupid. I could have served better and I last played the game 25 years ago. The commissaire who disqualified the British women's team sprint team, was also the one who was looking intently at a part of the track by the British men's start gate after they asked for a restart. But yeah this `British administrator' was apparently trained to disqualify half the British teams!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Way back in the 1980s when I was first volunteering as a race official I heard of crashing to get a restart. I think it was the US team pursuit and it might have been the 84 or 88 olympics. That said is many coaches from all nations council their riders about using a crash to get a restart. The risk is a rider might not get back on the bike if the crash has complications. You could say the crash carries a big risk too. Maybe there should be a rule but I have seen enough weird crashes that some look intentional but clearly could not have been.
Cycling does have rules about taking up the chase but I think if it was strictly enforced then many races would be stopped and the riders sent home for touring. I remember a cat 3 race where a women's group passed them and we are not talking a strong women's field it is just that the men were touring. We stopped the men and said prizes are suspended and results are next. We gave their prizes to the other categories. The men improved but as soon as a break was established the rest stopped chasing and went back to touring. It was sickening that all these volunteers came out to give these guys a bike ride on closed roads? Certainly was not a race.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Care to quote a link?

There was a time around here that such blatant trolling would not be tolerated.

An old Aussie quote for you princess. "Harden the F up."

Cry us all a river, cry us all a river. Boo hoo. Britain is doping. Good for them. It will dry up eventually and the moment of glory will end. Where will the results come from then? Deal with it.

You weren't being trolled. Someone calls team GB out for being dodgy and they are suddenly a troll? Bahaha. Typical reaction from you. Go give Waterloo and the rest of the whining poms a call and grab a beer and celebrate your brief moment in the sun and spotlight sporting wise. It will end soon.

Better, go fill a seat in a stadium and do something to make your country look competent as viewers of sport and support other nations. What...umad that at the closing ceremony you won't hear the words "Greatest Olympics ever" by the head of the IOC? Yeah, that's right, those evil Aussies will hold that for a long time. We actually filled seats and cheered for everyone. GB? Lots and lots and lots of empty seats. Nothing more pathetic than that. In prime ribbon and colourful sports. GB deserves all the flack it cops.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Cry us all a river, cry us all a river. Boo hoo. Britain is doping. Good for them. It will dry up eventually and the moment of glory will end. Where will the results come from then? Deal with it.

So that is what has happened to the Australians this Olympics? I was wondering why they were so poor

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
An old Aussie quote for you princess. "Harden the F up."

You weren't being trolled. Someone calls team GB out for being dodgy and they are suddenly a troll? Bahaha. Typical reaction from you. Go give Waterloo and the rest of the whining poms a call and grab a beer and celebrate your brief moment in the sun and spotlight sporting wise. It will end soon.

Better, go fill a seat in a stadium and do something to make your country look competent as viewers of sport and support other nations. What...umad that at the closing ceremony you won't hear the words "Greatest Olympics ever" by the head of the IOC? Yeah, that's right, those evil Aussies will hold that for a long time. We actually filled seats and cheered for everyone. GB? Lots and lots and lots of empty seats. Nothing more pathetic than that. In prime ribbon and colourful sports. GB deserves all the flack it cops.
You should read your own papers it seems all they are doing is crying.
And suddenly what the head of the IOC says matters? Haha.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
You should read your own papers it seems all they are doing is crying.
And suddenly what the head of the IOC says matters? Haha.

Nobody with an iota of intelligence listens to the Fairfax or Murdoch owned media. Let alone about sport. Australians with brains watch and figure it out for themselves.

English. Buy a ticket, fill a seat and cheer. Or have a cry, like I said. You opened yourself up for suspicion by responding. To disprove suspicion, you should have shut your mouth. Add your name to the list and vote for Pedro champ. Or as I said, buy a ticket to something you've never seen before and watch an event.

I honestly don't care where the Aussies finish. Competing is good enough in my book. But then again, your comment and response implies the opposite. Not very bright are you?

I'm about to head over to the Olympics doping thread. Let me guess...you Melo, masters and the common ilk will be crying and deflecting for 50+ threads? Sad man. Sad. You don't like it, don't read it. You disagree, state so once. But you guys are gluttons for punishment, you just keep coming back. Think someone who ISN'T BRITISH is doping...use your brain and start a thread. Brits on this forum are hilarious or straight to the point. The Olympics are about fairness and everyone getting a chance. Not sullen sooks and bad sports. Falling off your bike is dumb. Leaves you open for a disqualification.

Oh and I'm the first one to call Aussies out for doping. Brits deflecting as I said are weak. Can't even call your own out. No, they attack the Brits who do. Heck Melo called someone who clearly isn't Wonderlance a blatant Troll. That's gotten many around here banned. Yeah, favouritism for Britain is ripe. Lap it up whilst you can.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
So that is what has happened to the Australians this Olympics? I was wondering why they were so poor

Poor. Disgusting attitude chump. Say that to an Aussie face to face. You're the same type of person who berated Andy Murray for losing and now jumps on his nuts when he wins. Disgusting. People giving there all and falling short is not poor. Disappointing for them, yes. Enjoy life as a coward. Better yet, drop me a line next time you are in Australia.

There are thousands of athletes who get sweet F all at the games. They poor too? No, the poor are those who cheat. Those who blatantly dope and those who feel the need to impeach the spirit of fair play...ahem, drop their bike. Get your head sorted out and grow a pair. People falling short aren't poor. Was Victoria Pendleton poor for stuffin up her first event? Nah, just your jingoism and rampant national ferver run amok into the loony bin. As I said, cry us all a river and get back to the point. Quit deflecting.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Poor. Disgusting attitude chump. Say that to an Aussie face to face. You're the same type of person who berated Andy Murray for losing and now jumps on his nuts when he wins. Disgusting. People giving there all and falling short is not poor. Disappointing for them, yes. Enjoy life as a coward. Better yet, drop me a line next time you are in Australia.

There are thousands of athletes who get sweet F all at the games. They poor too? No, the poor are those who cheat. Those who blatantly dope and those who feel the need to impeach the spirit of fair play...ahem, drop their bike. Get your head sorted out and grow a pair. People falling short aren't poor. Was Victoria Pendleton poor for stuffin up her first event? Nah, just your jingoism and rampant national ferver run amok into the loony bin. As I said, cry us all a river and get back to the point. Quit deflecting.

Funniest post I have read on here so far

TRENDING THREADS