• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why is Contador never the story?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

He goes up to get his trophy for the race and Paul and Phil spend more time talking about Schleck, how amazing he did, how he is the future, how poor old Alberto is washed up, how scared he was of the giant Schleck, and on and on. Then, OF COURSE, we had to have a side bar about the beautiful fragrance emanating from Lance’s shorts, it having been a good 20 or 30 seconds since his name had been mentioned.

What is the deal?

I heard endlessly about the sterling character and inevitable triumph of Schleck, even though it seems to me that for just about a week now every day AS has promised to whoop everyone’s *** and he never did it. And now that even Phil and Paul have admitted that Chaingate was due to shifting and not some act-of-God mechanical, I have not heard AS apologize for his comments. Frankly, AS seems more like some rich spoiled frat boy.

Nonetheless, AS is a good story to tell: 3 years best young rider, doing the tour without the support of his brother, 2nd two years in a row. Of course he deserves significant attention.

But what about Contador? We hear his team is no good, but they do well. We hear he can’t handle the cobbles, he does just fine. We hear he is out of shape, he equals everything Schleck has to toss his way. Isn’t that a great story of triumph? And doesn’t he have a personal story to tell? We hear (justifiably) about Lance overcoming cancer, well, Alberto has his own story about physical breakdown too doesn’t he? And as for character: he was in an impossible position last year when The World’s Greatest Team Manager didn’t know how to deal with the terrifying problem of having two really good riders and he never whined about it. He conducts himself with dignity.

So why is he never the story – even when he wins?

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
That's just USA TV coverage. The Versus crew made money off Armstrong's success and are terrified of losing the US audience in a post Armstrong era. Since AC put a wet blanket over Armstrong's comeback, which for these guys is the same as threatening their collective paychecks, he will forever be the bad guy.

JohnNordin said:

He goes up to get his trophy for the race and Paul and Phil spend more time talking about Schleck, how amazing he did, how he is the future, how poor old Alberto is washed up, how scared he was of the giant Schleck, and on and on. Then, OF COURSE, we had to have a side bar about the beautiful fragrance emanating from Lance’s shorts, it having been a good 20 or 30 seconds since his name had been mentioned.

This first paragraph will make you very popular with many cycling news forum posters.

I think Contador is the story. Maybe not on Versus, but then Contador has won before, and Andrew has only just showed his best form, while conti was expected to top anyway. You can only go so far talking about contador, they need other stories.

But in my experience it is about contador. On eurosport they talked about him, in the Spanish Press they (obviously) heil him as a king and he will be on the front page of every paper.

henryg said:
That's just USA TV coverage. The Versus crew made money off Armstrong's success and are terrified of losing the US audience in a post Armstrong era. Since AC put a wet blanket over Armstrong's comeback, which for these guys is the same as threatening their collective paychecks, he will forever be the bad guy.
Versus are doing it wrong then. Focusing on Armstrong to the detriment of everyone else will only ensure their doom in the next years. The smart long-term thing to do is to take advantage of the extra audience Armstrong brings to build a true fan base.

Of course that never happens anywhere. Whenever an athlete succeeds at a non-traditional sport (for their country), the press just focuses on him. Any true fan base will have to build itself spontaneously, as the media only care about the short-term bling, and furthermore, are unable to care about anything beyond that.

A

Anonymous

saganftw said:
because hes not the winner public likes,hes quite shy,dominant on the bike,no off bike issues to talk about,hes not outspoken,he is friend with everyone

nobody likes good guys

I think this is true for the US market. I would think in other countries, he gets a bit better press.

He rode a safe Tour this year, and says he may go for the Giro/Vuelta double next year. I for one think he will ride the Tour again because of this year. We can only hope that they allow Ricco in next year (I know he is a douche) also. Ricco should be able to make it a 3 way race with no time to play track stand or "huggy huggy let me give you the win." I also think Schlecklet will spend a significant amount of time in the wind tunnel and on the TT bike over the next year.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Because he doesn't speak english. There is absolutely nothing else to it.

In my now decade long experience, english speaking commentators (particularly british and american), place non-english speaking nations/champions slightly above great apes.

He speaks no french either, and that's not a good thing for a 3 time tour winner, in passing/

nia O'Malley said:

In my now decade long experience, english speaking commentators (particularly british and american), place non-english speaking nations/champions slightly above great apes.

He speaks no french either, and that's not a good thing for a 3 time tour winner, in passing/

he does speak english,but i guess not very well to do interviews...or hes just too shy to speak english...on the other hand i dont think he cares that much about being star

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Belokki said:
he has blue eyes:rolleyes:

take your racism elsewhere!:mad:

...and where were you with your outrage when your like-minded pal SilentAssassin offended Contador's family, Spaniards and Latino's alike in another thread you've just posted in?

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
saganftw said:
he does speak english,but i guess not very well to do interviews...or hes just too shy to speak english...on the other hand i dont think he cares that much about being star

The reason he doesn't conduct interviews in other languages is that he is fearful that he will not come across as intended and thus have his words twisted. . . . and I believe that this is exactly why he is not endearing to anyone outside France. Personally, is just enjoy the show. I wanted Schleck to beat Contador because I like to see competition and last time out he dominated so easily. I support neither but think this rivalry is going to develop into a huge one over the next few years!

SlantParallelogram said:
For the same reason that Indurain was never the story. They were/are both so dull. Jan Ullrich was fairly boring as well, although his inconsistency at least added a little drama.

To be fair, all of them might seem more interesting if I knew more of their personal stories and history.

I have always liked Jan Ullrich because he was "the last of the East German superstars." What I mean is that he was the last of the riders that were developed under the iron curtain system where they were not allowed to run any professional races. He was still a junior when the Soviet, East German, and other countries removed that self-imposed ban. However, he is still from that system.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
One would think that Versus would spring for a Spanish language translater. Shoot, they could grab one of the many fans standing around that speak both languages. They just don't think of it as a priority. I don't recall one interview with Astana's Martinelli or with any of the Astana bosses/ds'. They IMO underestimate their audience. It's insulting.
Hire some multi-lingual folks and open up their options.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
La Pandera said:
One would think that Versus would spring for a Spanish language translater. Shoot, they could grab one of the many fans standing around that speak both languages. They just don't think of it as a priority. I don't recall one interview with Astana's Martinelli or with any of the Astana bosses/ds'. They IMO underestimate their audience. It's insulting.

agreed. Especially after watching RAI where di Stefano interviews riders in multiple languages.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Indurain no more than Contador are at all "dull" if you understand/speak spanish. Very nice, very smiling, very pleasant happy characters.

This proves my point actually.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
nia O'Malley said:

Disagree. I thinks it's more of the case that british and american commentators tend to concentrate on british and american riders. I've watched the TdF in several different languages and each one tends to favor their own home country's riders. There's no harm in it. heck, the Canadians on Evasion talk about Ryder all the time and they're speaking French!! (well, it's kind of French)