• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why is TdF 09 so boring?

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Is it the profile of the courses, Armstrongs comeback and Astanas extremely strong team, or is it the GC profiles (Schlecks, Vandevelde, Menchov, Sastre, Evans etc) lack of guts and willingness to attack?

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
The race started out promisingly in Monaco but the TTT simply killed everything stone dead. It must be pretty soul destroying if you're a guy like Evans losing a couple minutes in the individual classification simply because you have a weaker team than the other guys. The Pyrenees were a joke as well. No-one is going to put in a big effort in on a Cat 1/HC if there is still 50km of flat to the finish. Every day. Lousy route planning.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
red_explosion hit the nail on the head. The TTT on the fourth day reduced this to a two man race. The TTT should be gotten rid of. All it does is eliminate riders from the GC just because of their teammates ability. Stupid and unfair. A good team will show its worth on the other 20 stages. No need to give them an even bigger advantage by having a TTT.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Lets all pray that tomorrow breathes some life into the race. If the last week is as exciting as it could be, the organisers will be geniuses. Otherwise, worst tour de france ever.

Ventoux will be good either way, but come on, one good day in a 3 week race?

A

Anonymous

magliarosa said:
Who cares if someone starts a new thread. If you have one long thread, then scrolling through the thread is tiresome.

welcome to the forum.. i think you may be in a minority in thinking that way...

as for boring, i have seen worse tours, there is something happening every day even if a lot of it is happening off the bikes... See if you still think its boring after ventoux.. Or, how often with one week remaining have we not had a pretty good idea who is going to win the tour... MOst years its pretty much done by the second sunday..

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
The last week could feature the second coming of Jesus and it still would not make up for the first two weeks.

If the last seven days are good, then I think it would more than make up for the last two weeks. Please give me something to hold on to, something is wrong in the universe when you question if you are even going to bother watching the TDF or not.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
The top 4 GC riders are within 8 seconds of each other, yet you think this tour is boring?

That said, it's a combination of all these factors. When you've got 1 team composed of mainly GC capable riders, it's going to skew the results, esp with the TTT. I don't think it's gutlessness on the part of the other riders, it's just that there's only been minimal opportunities for GC riders to make worthwhile attacks, esp with Astana seemingly shutting down any attack. Turning the Col du Tourmulet into an afternoon stroll was a wasted opportunity.

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
TdF Boring

1. TTT - get rid of it
2. Poor route planning
3. Not enough mountain finishes or relatively short technical downhill runs to the finish
4. Formula driven breakaways
5. Sort of crap racing seen yesterday where there was the possibility that Hincapie would be "gifted" the Yellow Jersey.

iceaxe

BANNED
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
HappyPedals said:
The top 4 GC riders are within 8 seconds of each other, yet you think this tour is boring?

That said, it's a combination of all these factors. When you've got 1 team composed of mainly GC capable riders, it's going to skew the results, esp with the TTT. I don't think it's gutlessness on the part of the other riders, it's just that there's only been minimal opportunities for GC riders to make worthwhile attacks, esp with Astana seemingly shutting down any attack. Turning the Col du Tourmulet into an afternoon stroll was a wasted opportunity.

the two guys currently in first and second are non contenders. contador and armstrong are just zombies riding in the peloton. absolutely nothing interesting has happened yet.contador and armstrong of course are going to do good in the mountains because they have been ushered along by their individual slave helpers. they are storing up tons of energy. it is totally boring way to do a race.

TRENDING THREADS