• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why Not Legalize Doping?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Justinr

BANNED
Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
A professional wrestler. Doping? Gtfo

In my view whats more laughable about the whole US Pro wrestling thing is not that they are obviously pumped with steroids but that the 'match' is so appallingly 'choreographed' and fixed. They're worse actors than soap stars!

punyhuman said:
And really, "there's lots of folks who have not doped"? I will need proof of this. Is this a minority number?

That's a first. If your honest opinion is that most cyclists dope (not pros, but all racing cyclists, all categories), then that is a pretty jaded view. Yes, I have known of newbies and masters doping, but I don't look around at everyone in the peloton thinking everyone is on the juice. Seriously, do you race?

punyhuman said:
That's only your opinion and not shared by many others.

Now it's your turn to define "many". Your right in that it's my opinion. I do know of quite a few folks who share it. It seems your not getting a lot of traction on this forum, so who are these many you refer to?

To the OP - this is my previous argument from another thread. Might make you think again:

42x16ss said:
Straight up NO. This would send us back to the glory days of:

Riders dying in their sleep from too high a haematocrit like in the early 90's due to excessive EPO

Riders having terrible reactions to poorly carried out blood transfusions like Manzano, Hamilton, and Ricco

Riders almost bleeding to death when they crash because of blood thinners taken to stop their blood coagulating due to too much EPO like Joe Papp

Riders collapsing and even dying from exhaustion due to exceeding their physiological limits and not knowing because of painkillers and amphetamines like Tom Simpson

Riders getting diseases such as anaemia because they don't know how to take their doping products correctly (eg: EPO without B12 and Iron supplementation - this happened to a couple of ex AIS riders I knew)

Riders causing permanent hormonal and physiological imbalances from too much HGH and/or Testosterone and other anabolic substances like Tammy Thomas

Then there's riders running the risk of getting cancer or who knows what else from taking experimental/unreleased/unapproved drugs

If you don't mind the sport having this, fine, but most of us do.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
True, but who wants to be a pro rider and not be the best and win a bunch of races? I'd agree there would be some for whom being a pro cyclist for a living is about doing what they love (riding a bike). And who wouldn't feel the need or want to win everything (I truly envy those people). But there is an inherent competitive nature in anyone that takes the path to become a athlete. And most people even if they would prefer to be clean, will be driven by their competitive nature to dope so they can be competitive with others.

Also with the winners doping, I'm sure there would be domestiques that would take it up too. Those that race because it's just what they love to do would likely fall under the category of doms, and they may feel the pressure to dope to keep up with the other domestiques that are doping.

If racing is what floats a particular rider's boat then they can simply "find their level" and race there with no pressure to dope.

Unless you're the absolute biggest fish in the pond then you're going to lose most of the time at your level, even if you are the second best GT rider rider of your generation. Anyone thinking otherwise when they embark on a pro cycling career is deluding themselves, doping or no doping. Being the second best GT rider will undoubtedly be more lucrative than being the second best amateur crit rider in your area, but as I said earlier, being paid to race a bike is a decidely odd concept.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
This thread is proof positive that no thread in the history of the intertubes has ever been worthwhile when it starts with "...lurking for a long time and decided to post..." or some other variant.

You fools are in a troll echelon.

The problem I have is the complete inconsistencies and hypocrisy of the entire situation. The drugs/items on the banned list are completely arbitrary.

Here is an example. Let's go with the premise that we are claiming that we are looking and wanting to see the best "natural" athletes compete, however they were born.

Ok, well then, why is it that some people are allowed to take some allergy medication, that will either allow them to race, or not? Yet, somebody who has a undetermined pituitary problem and can't maintain a 100ng/mL testosterone level naturally, has to just suffer and isn't allowed to at least take something so they can get up in the morning, train, eat, live a normal life, and maintain a level of let's just say between 300-700ng/mL by taking extraneous testosterone?

Some riders, if they can't take their allergy medication, have to entirely pull out of a race and are now unable to compete. Matt Goss was a fine example the other day when his domestique went back to the car, dropped his allergy medication/lost it, and Goss flipped out, couldn't eve ride/compete any longer. It is a similar circumstance I would take that to mean it is absolutely a performance enhancing drug, due to the fact, they can't even go out and compete to their bodies unexplained reaction to external elements in life causing demise and health issues.

Same for asthma medication, doesn't even require a TUE...that is completely acceptable to take. To make some claim it isn't performance enhancing is complete ridiculous. If you can't get on a bike and go ride, that isn't performing. You take a hit of your allergy meds/asthma inhaler, and all of the sudden, you can go out and compete ride...how is that not enhancing performance in some shape or form?

Testosterone of course has a stigma based off ignorance and stupidity perpetrated by most people that somehow if you take extraneous testosterone and your level is say 600-700ng/mL, well below the max limit naturally found of nearly 1200ng/mL, you are some kind of "roider" and are now have some completely unfounded/unproven advantage all of the sudden.

In the example of allergy medication, people have similar symptoms, poor quality of life, can't live and act just plain normal, not talking superhuman...due to an unknown and entirely unexplainable natural occurring phenomenon.

Ban it all, or be sensible/reasonable and apply the exceptions fairly.

May 18, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
This thread is proof positive that no thread in the history of the intertubes has ever been worthwhile when it starts with "...lurking for a long time and decided to post..." or some other variant.

You fools are in a troll echelon.

At least we get to see MI back off from his DPF opinion on the subject. That part is interesting. :D

zigmeister said:
Ok, well then, why is it that some people are allowed to take some allergy medication, that will either allow them to race, or not? Yet, somebody who has a undetermined pituitary problem and can't maintain a 100ng/mL testosterone level naturally, has to just suffer and isn't allowed to at least take something so they can get up in the morning, train, eat, live a normal life, and maintain a level of let's just say between 300-700ng/mL by taking extraneous testosterone?

Haha. It's called a TUE for testosterone and a NADO can issue a TUE for test. It doesn't happen frequently for a good reason.

zigmeister said:
Testosterone of course has a stigma based off ignorance and stupidity perpetrated by most people that somehow if you take extraneous testosterone and your level is say 600-700ng/mL, well below the max limit naturally found of nearly 1200ng/mL, you are some kind of "roider" and are now have some completely unfounded/unproven advantage all of the sudden.

Test works! It's awesome for improving recovery. The improvements are seen over weeks. Just don't cross the T/E ratio!