• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Why would Andy Schleck be carrying his urine test at a restaurant?

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Why would Andy Schleck be carrying his urine sample at a restaurant?

I don't follow Andy on Twitter, but stumbled across this while Googling AFLD News. I understand that English isn't his first language, and he's limited to a number of characters on Twitter, but this raised an alarm for me. I'm totally cool with him being tested right after a stage, and then again at a time when it would be totally unexpected. But I read WADA's IO Report last year with the testing protocols, and know that if a urine sample isn't witnessed, it's useless, as it could be from someone else, or things could be added, etc. He says it was at the hotel, so it would have been easy to go somewhere private.

So why does Andy make it sound like he went to the bathroom alone and had to carry the sample through the restaurant? Once it was sealed in front of the tester, it should have been sealed and remained in their custody.

I hope that the AFLD is doing a thorough job at the Tour, but this is worrisome. Is there something I'm missing?

andy_schleck
i never complain over the doping-control but today i had one after the finish an i arrive to the hotel an other on come on UCI ALFAD!!!! about 9 hours ago via web

andy_schleck
there were 1 h in between you guys must communicate a bit better!thats not good enough and shows no respect to the rider about 9 hours ago via web Retweeted by you and 67 others

andy_schleck
the control happen in a restaurant so i had to walk with my urine sample true the tables where other people were having dinner!!! about 9 hours ago via web Retweeted by you and 100+ others

https://twitter.com/andy_schleck/status/92351077772558336
https://twitter.com/andy_schleck/status/92351576475320321
https://twitter.com/andy_schleck/status/92352021184774144

Remember when Óscar Pereiro was tested in a restaurant? There wasn't enough room in the toilets so they had to do it in the corridor. The testers had come to the right place at the wrong time, and Óscar was at a meal and refused to change locations as he had no obligation to.

So many problems with the testing procedure that, in the event something had flagged up (unlikely as he hadn't raced in about four months at the time) he could probably have quite easily have gotten off.

May 30, 2010
Visit site
hughmoore said:
Do the athletes keep a "B" sample to be tested in defence?

Or do the testers keep both?

Hugh

This forum cracks me up sometimes. Everyone is an expert on dopers doping peds etc but don't know the basics

athletes pee in a jug and pour half of the jug into an a bottle and the other half into a b bottle. They don't get to keep the b. What would be the point of that? All of their **** goes to the testers

May 19, 2010
Visit site
According to Ekstra Bladet he was tested on Plateau de Beille. That was the reason he was flown down from Plateau de Beille in the helicopter with Vanendert and Voeckler. Then he was tested again, by another testing authority in the restaurant of his hotel. According to A. Schleck it was only one hour between the tests. And then this morning he was tested at the hotel by UCI.

Brian Nygaard says: "They call, we pee" and that the only annoying thing was that the hotel hadn't made a separate room available to do the testing in, as they should do.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The riders that brag about their testing and complain about the testers like this story are just looking for a public media circus. Look at me I just took a test, ouch the needle hurt, I had to pee into a cold cup, wa wha whaaaa...

Just test and if anything get a backup sample for yourself, then shut up already, you get paid enough to satisfy any such testing distractions and its in your friggen contract so if you don't like it quit. Then there's the regular Joe's who get tested should they also tweet every time they get a sample extracted or requested? Twitter would crash if they did.

He took the sample through the restaurant like a 2 year old would, look everyone here's my sample, yes look over here I'm holding it so you can all see it, eewwweeegh... Drama...

enrecul said:
This forum cracks me up sometimes. Everyone is an expert on dopers doping peds etc but don't know the basics

athletes pee in a jug and pour half of the jug into an a bottle and the other half into a b bottle. They don't get to keep the b. What would be the point of that? All of their **** goes to the testers

For anyone interested, on this page is a link to a video explaining the procedures used by ASADA, which follows WADA/international protocol:
http://www.asada.gov.au/testing/index.html

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
thirteen said:
excuse me for being cynical, but this feels a bit like he's vying for the "most tested athlete" award.

maybe he expected to blow away the competition on Plateau de Beille?

:rolleyes:

Testers are drawing so much of him that he can't blow away anything :D

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
To be fair the test was not in a restaurant but in Leopard's private mobile kitchen/dinning room. It is amazing

x2_6e7f314

x2_6ff16b3

TRENDING THREADS