• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins 2009 hemoglobin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
New to the forum, saw this on another site yesterday. Can anyone shed any light on the validity of the following:

Bradley's result from the second rest day in 2009 was suspicious. Hemoglobin should fall during the Tour but his rose. Here's what anti doping expert Michael Ashenden had to say about Floyd Landis' hemoglobin results from the 2006 Tour:

"Going from 15.5 to 16.1 (in hemoglobin) is not that unusual when not competing," Ashenden said by phone from Australia. "But it is very unusual to see an increase after a hard week of cycling. You’d expect it to be the reverse. You’d expect that to fall in a clean athlete. An increase like this in the midst of the Tour de France would be highly, highly unlikely.

"There’s nothing where I could point to one value and say, ‘This guy definitely doped.’ But it raises red flags for me. I would definitely recommend to anti-doping authorities that an athlete presenting these values should be target-tested for blood doping."

Wiggins' hemoglobin result rose from about 14.4 on the first rest day to about 15.2 on the second rest day. Highly highly unlikely in a clean athlete.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
you can increase your hemaeglobine level by taking lots of iron preprates or perhaps even through injection. on a restday especially this will have some effect. his hemaeglobine didn't increase like armstrong from 12-15 during the tour 2009. THAT is suspicious

Pablo275 said:
New to the forum, saw this on another site yesterday. Can anyone shed any light on the validity of the following:

Bradley's result from the second rest day in 2009 was suspicious. Hemoglobin should fall during the Tour but his rose. Here's what anti doping expert Michael Ashenden had to say about Floyd Landis' hemoglobin results from the 2006 Tour:

"Going from 15.5 to 16.1 (in hemoglobin) is not that unusual when not competing," Ashenden said by phone from Australia. "But it is very unusual to see an increase after a hard week of cycling. You’d expect it to be the reverse. You’d expect that to fall in a clean athlete. An increase like this in the midst of the Tour de France would be highly, highly unlikely.

"There’s nothing where I could point to one value and say, ‘This guy definitely doped.’ But it raises red flags for me. I would definitely recommend to anti-doping authorities that an athlete presenting these values should be target-tested for blood doping."

Wiggins' hemoglobin result rose from about 14.4 on the first rest day to about 15.2 on the second rest day. Highly highly unlikely in a clean athlete.

He is British, so he can't be a cheater according to this forum:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.