• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins, a truly epic ride

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There was nothing wrong with GB's tactics. By far their best chance of the win was to get Cav to a bunch sprint. Obviously getting him to a sprint was gonna be tough but with a bit more help from other teams they cudda done it. Its silly to say 'they shudda had a plan B' because you cant have a plan B - the riders are knackered trying to execute plan A. Its pathetic that because Sky/Team GB dont win every race people say they are tactically poor!!

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Nothing epic. Rather pathetic result and suspicious (yet again) performance, I must say. 4 guys pulling for the whole race and almost controlling everyone is just ludicrous.

Winterfold said:
DB has done great, but they should have had the flexibility to cover the move by Spartacus, Boonen, Valverde etc on the last climb. It wasn't rocket science, it was clearly the place to attack, and once it went they were outnumbered. And completely knackered.

Of course if they had won we would all be hailing Prince Brailsford :D Overll, Cav will have a face like a slapped **** for a bit, but objectively it was an exciting race and a beautiful day out in a way that the result not going your way doesn't spoil.

I hope they can build a decent classics team around Geraint Thomas, and keep hold of Flecha for a bit longer to help him learn some more.

And we need a big one day race in the Surrey Hills every year, some of the more testing climbs will be seen in the Tour of Britain this Autumn.

What? Cover the move with tired riders and end up dropping Cav? What would be the sense in that? They were clearly riding to Cav's pace on the climb.

thehog said:
When Cav won MSR HTC rode on the front for 300km.

I just couldn't stop laughing all day at their tactics. It was like they just thought they could ride Cav to the finish line.

Nibili was great. That was Pantani styled *** stirring. No chance of winning but threw a grenade into the race. As did Gilbert.

Lucky there are little tactics in the iTT. DB will just send Wiggins and Froome forward.

With a slightly stronger and more committed German team I think it would have worked. With the riders that GB have available (ie lacking world class one day riders) the tactics were completely understandable. Try everything to hold it together for a sprint for arguably the best sprinter of all time. That was their best chance of winning the race.

sartoris said:
Nothing epic. Rather pathetic result and suspicious (yet again) performance, I must say. 4 guys pulling for the whole race and almost controlling everyone is just ludicrous.

Someone pulling the strings would call that "a fairytale".

BTW. What are the stats for Wiggins daily effort? 90-100 kilometers covering the wind? The guy should have a monument if i ever saw one...

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
No_Balls said:
Someone pulling the strings would call that "a fairytale".

BTW. What are the stats for Wiggins daily effort? 90-100 kilometers covering the wind? The guy should have a monument if i ever saw one...
I read somewhere that he wants to give P-R a proper go. Always like to see the GC guys properly attempt the monuments.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
JRanton said:
With a slightly stronger and more committed German team I think it would have worked. With the riders that GB have available (ie lacking world class one day riders) the tactics were completely understandable. Try everything to hold it together for a sprint for arguably the best sprinter of all time. That was their best chance of winning the race.

It never would have worked. The barrage of attacks simply would have continued. Germany had three domestiques left and then they needed to be so commited to sacrifice the leadout for Cav's glory. :rolleyes:

Swiss and Spain were fresh and were pulling at the front. And Italy was waiting in the wings. Then add in Boonen, Sagan etc. The tactic stunk.

And they could have used Cav's presence so much better. Germany pulled this stunt of in 2000 with a really comparable team. Let the sprinter hang in the pack, let others take repsonsibility and sent out David Millar at the front.

In the worst case you have one of the best rouleurs who has proven that in a pinch he can win a race and who is in great form at front. And in the last 70 km a fresh Froom and wiggo are without any contention absolute worldclass. Add the psychological/strategic advantage that you always have Cav if the breaks get reeled in.

Sorry, the notion that just sacrificing two of your strongest pawns from the start is a good tactic is ludicrous.

The fridge in the blue trees said:
It's peloton!

And the ride wasn't epic.
Agnoli at MSR? As "epic"
Agnoli at the Giro: As "epic"
And x others.
Good effort, yes, for sure. Great effort, yes, but epic? No. Has been done before, has been done better, Agnoli at Milano Sanremo this year could actually be described as epic, as one of the best rides you ever saw.

So, I really feel you need first to learn how to spell peloton, since the spelling you use really is just horrible, and second, that you need to watch more cycling, not just british riders. Wiggins, good effort, nothing more, nothing less.

Now this is a funny post:D

Wiggo rode well today.

This is why I like 5 man teams.

williamp78 said:
I think this is a very fair statement. Team Sky have flattered to deceive at the classics. Too many variables to control.

GB really lack a true one day racer hence it made sense to go all in for cav today. The break was too big and too well drilled to bring back.

What tactics will they use for the world champs? Who will be team leader? Froome?

They probably lacked Thomas yesterday. Good rider to control if needed, but also a pretty good 1 day racer with a good finish who could have been useful to cover attacks.

Franklin said:
No insinuations, go to the clinic for those.

That said, I really feel I have to say that cycling fans need to recoginze that Wiggins delivered one of the most Epic rides we have ever seen.

When he dropped from the peleton grabbing his left side I thought he was done. But he went at it again. He has my deep respect for his ability to suffer.

As they didn't win this phenomenal effort could be forgotten soon enough, so I decided to praise him here.

Again: For insinuations, go to the clinic. I'll gladly spar with anyone over there. This is simply a recognition of a valiant effort.

Usually "epic" is part of an ultimately victorious ending and that obviously is not the case here. The British geared their race completely around a Cavendish sprint win,likely riding the fumes of elation from their success at the Tour they rode as if they had a team of nine riders instead of the reduced max of riders allowed for the Olympics. It was not enough to control the event and the other teams outfoxed them and their strategy was a failed one in the end. Wiggins did his best but the best I can describe his effort as is valiant, not epic.

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
It would have taken a lot of pressure off the team as a whole, and forced other teams to work in the peloton if it were possible for GB to put Millar in the break. Great race, loved the smaller team format.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
@CadelOfficial
Froome in quickest, these 'skinny' guys have transformed TT'ing this year. Wiggo still unbeaten in '12

‏@millarmind
52km/h average. ****ing hell. And he gave 100% to the team in the road race on Saturday. Inspiring.

@MarkCavendish
As if being the 1st British Tour de France winner didn't make enough history, @bradwiggins just won his 7th Olympic medal! GOLD. #proud

@thejensie
And how strong was Bradley, keeping the pressure and his shape from the Tour till today. Like Christian Vandevelde said - Rockstar.

@ChristianVDV
Rock star for life. @bradwiggins has now eclipsed many of the rockstars he looks up to. Go on Brad.

Paris-Nice, Romandie, Dauphine, Tour and ITT gold at Olympics. His season is untouchable. Is he a one hit-wonder?

And as a king he has a heir in Froome

Sky is now a regime

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Chapeau to Wiggins.

And it is great to see such magnificent crowds at both the RR & TT today.
It shows how popular cycling can be when you have a well run event and the chance of local success. I hope it continues.

It's with gritted teeth, as I don't like his personality, his style of riding (well, in TT it's ok, uphill not) and his way of riding (defensive), but what a season for Wiggins. This season's Gilbert and that's maybe an insult to Wiggins.

snackattack

BANNED
Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
528704_10151073440494530_1505248949_n.jpg

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Paris-Nice + Romandie + Dauphine + Tour + ITT gold at Olympics.

I simply can't believe that. No cyclist has ever been able to do that in a single season. And all of a sudden we have a 32 y.o. ex-pistard "epic rider" who climbs like Contador and TTs like Cancellara and doesn't seem to reach his peak.

The higher he (and Sky) gets, the bigger the fall will be. I'll be waiting for that.

What a shame this sport has become :(

TRENDING THREADS