• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins' blood values

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Anyone on the forum a doc. or medical professional who can comment on these? May be a good case study for us to get our head around the bio-passport, etc., but we need comments from a medical professional who knows what they are talking about in terms of specific blood values (not just hematocrit, etc.)

Elapid maybe?

"He's now asked the UCI, cycling's governing body, to publish his blood values taken for their biological passport programme – an anti-doping system that monitors riders' physiological data.

The data will be available on Monday, as will all his results from his team's internal testing programme."

"....'Everybody at [British Cycling's headquarters in] Manchester had always said I've got the numbers [physiological capacity] to do well on the road. The playing field is more level too, now,' – by which Wiggins means there are fewer dopers, giving him a better chance to shine – 'and before I've maybe been distracted by the track, not focused enough, and I've lacked the self-belief as well.' "

Not sure where they will be posted, UCI or Garmin site on 27th?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...l-be-watching-over-me-on-ventoux-1760541.html

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I would be skeptical. The passport is a PR ruse.

I would also like to see all Dan Martin's numbers. He rode well in Catalunya, then sucked in Dauphine, to the riders he beat easily in Catalunya. I do not automatically believe a pressa that says "tendinitis". I do not disbelieve, but there was a disparity in form in a few weeks, and this could be perfectly plausible, and an indication of the ups and downs of a clean rider, and the random nature of form.

Don't buy the spin, Contador set the VAM of 1860, and Wiggins rode in with the second place finisher group. That to me, does not seem plausible, that the Tour has got cleaner, with those results. Seem Wiggins has got astronomically better. Why is the question. Could be perfectly honest. But to me, I am highly suspicious and disbelieving, and know that foreign language forums, have called him on it.

I would prefer him to be clean.

Ashenden has said you can bypass the passport, but I would not mind Ashenden and Parisotto to do the once over.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Okay, let's see....

blackcat said:
Ashenden has said you can bypass the passport, but I would not mind Ashenden and Parisotto to do the once over.

Good idea. Lets hope we can get some folks like that to comment, and get some values from the Giro & Tour (per Elapid's comment on fine tuning).

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am a surgical oncologist. I can read complete blood profiles, but other than knowing the effect that EPO has on hematocrit, reticulocytes and some other red cell indices, I would not know what the biological passport controllers are looking for with their trends or other forms of doping.

I am skeptical of the biological passport and do think it is a PR exercise for the UCI. Kohl admitted he used the biological passport results to fine tune his own parameters. This is also one of the criticisms of teams using internal doping programs, because they have the ability to monitor and fine tune blood results through internal monitoring. Not saying it happens, but it is certainly there to abuse.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
I am a surgical oncologist. I can read complete blood profiles, but other than knowing the effect that EPO has on hematocrit, reticulocytes and some other red cell indices, I would not know what the biological passport controllers are looking for with their trends or other forms of doping.

I am skeptical of the biological passport and do think it is a PR exercise for the UCI. Kohl admitted he used the biological passport results to fine tune his own parameters. This is also one of the criticisms of teams using internal doping programs, because they have the ability to monitor and fine tune blood results through internal monitoring. Not saying it happens, but it is certainly there to abuse.
actually, Garmin say that the riders are not able to access their profiles. So that assumption would be incorrect, in reference to Garmin. That they have going for them, unless they have changed the protocol, or were lying in the first place.

I am not sure Kohl is correct, and the new passport, they all get temporal feedback on their profile.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I am not saying that teams with internal screening programs are using these internal results nefariously, but I am saying that the potential exists to abuse the system.

These internal screening programs are independent and run by well-regarded scientists, so there is a high likelihood that they are not being used to fine tune blood results. Some do question Damsgaard's impartiality though after he accepted gifts from Team SaxoBank (but it was only a bike) and was fired from Bispebjerg Hospital where the original program was established.

blackcat said:
I would be skeptical. The passport is a PR ruse.

I would also like to see all Dan Martin's numbers. He rode well in Catalunya, then sucked in Dauphine, to the riders he beat easily in Catalunya. I do not automatically believe a pressa that says "tendinitis". I do not disbelieve, but there was a disparity in form in a few weeks, and this could be perfectly plausible, and an indication of the ups and downs of a clean rider, and the random nature of form.

Don't buy the spin, Contador set the VAM of 1860, and Wiggins rode in with the second place finisher group. That to me, does not seem plausible, that the Tour has got cleaner, with those results. Seem Wiggins has got astronomically better. Why is the question. Could be perfectly honest. But to me, I am highly suspicious and disbelieving, and know that foreign language forums, have called him on it.

I would prefer him to be clean.

At least Wiggins looks and breaths like a man who has just ridden a tour stage when interviewed, Contador looks as if he's just been to the shop to get his mum a pint of milk!!:)

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Looks like these issues are all "in the blood", but agree on breathing as something that stands out as a clue (e.g., also Menchov at Giro).

Lemond:

""What I've watched for the past 15 years has been almost robotic racing. I used to gasp for air and had to think about when I could take a sip of water – my sport drink – I'd try and time it for a flat section on the switchback of a climb," said LeMond. "[Now] I see people talking on the 'phone' [radio] riding a climb at the front of the Tour de France. For me it's surreal – I don't recognise the sport anymore."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lemond-laments-cyclings-loss-of-innocence

Walsh:

"The old idea of the rider going up [a tough climb] and breathing uncontrollably ended with EPO, particularly if the rider got onto a sophisticated program and their doctors knew what they were doing. On one day in the mountains, a guy who is clean and well prepared and very fit could compete with some of these guys. But he’d burn up so much energy trying to stay with guys who were doped, that when the next day came, he couldn’t compete. That was the big advantage that the blood dopers had - they’d just turn up pressure the next morning. And if they blood doped, they were also using recovery products like testosterone."

http://www.macleans.ca/canada/features/article.jsp?content=20070727_150415_8508&page=2

Fits Wiggo's profile, i.e. consecutive days problem in mountains (stage 17 after 16).

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-reiterates-willingness-to-publish-passport-data
“I did it in 2009 and people still said I was doping,” Wiggins said.

“Whatever you do with the passport information it’s almost a no-win situation. I’ve spoken to the doctors on the team about it and they’ve said the blood passport isn’t clear-cut on doping or not doping. There are so many variables in it. So if I was to do that certain people would scrutinise it and say it’s either too stable or it’s up and down. It’s something I’m looking into doing but it’s something I’ve been advised against, but it’s something I’d like to do and I’ve got nothing to hide. So I don’t see why it shouldn’t be out there.

Still waiting... Been 3 months now. 4 months from Giro to "safe period for release" September JV - wonder if Wiggo will follow this pattern too.

“For some people no matter what you do it’s not going to be enough unless they can live with me for 12 months, which I’m not prepared to do. The test of time is more important and the continuation of the job that the UCI are doing. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve been tested this week and I guess the more we do of that the better for our sport.”

I wonder how many times it actually was...

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
elapid said:
This is also one of the criticisms of teams using internal doping programs, because they have the ability to monitor and fine tune blood results through internal monitoring.
If I was doping, I'd dam well be doing my own Personal Monitoring Program. How hard is it to do the tests or get a private lab to run the samples?

Sep 29, 2012
Sep 29, 2012
In my research for this next set of blog posts, I've found something interesting.

tl;dr:
Brad lost a lot of weight going from trackie (82kg) to GTer (69kg).
Losing weight should lead to a loss in total blood volume (TBV) and therefore total Hgb mass.
A reduction in total Hgb mass should lead to a reduction in absolute power via a reduction in VO2max.
Brad has maintained or increased his absolute power, as evidenced by his flat TT improvements.
Something is not right.

Explanation:
We have asked how it is possible that Wiggins can lose 13kg from 82kg and yet maintain the same absolute power. The naive argument being:

muscles make power,
therefore less muscles = less power.

We even delved into where he lost muscle from: upper body, lower body, how can you tell, how do you control that? How much was fat, how much was muscle?

Physiologists, however, should have jumped right in and said the loss of muscle is mostly irrelevant. Instead Krebs Cycle spent a lot of time banging on about elite rowers losing weight but no power, Brad having fat to lose, there was lots of upper body muscle, etc, etc, blah blah. But that was all a smoke screen (similar to all the imaginary MAOD "discussions" that he and acoggan perpetuated for page after page. Very sneaky).

The weight loss from rowers argument was irrelevant for a number of reasons:
1. the rowers who did not lose power lost little weight
2. the rower who lost the most weight (only 8kg vs Brad's 13kg) did lose power
3. it contradicts an earlier post of Krebs, where he recounts Cadel Evans losing weight but losing absolute power in the process (discussed later).

Here's an example of Krebs' argument:

Krebs cycle said:
What I believe could have happened in 2009 (not saying it did, but just that the possibility is real) is that compared with 2007 when he was allegedly 77kg and 5% bf (according to Boyer), Wiggins lost 6-7kgs from a combination of upper body muscle mass (3-4kgs), whole body fat mass (1kg), lower back and core (1kg) and lower body (2kgs). Yes, this is a massive bit of speculation here. Maybe he lost 7kgs from lower body muscle and dropped absolute power, but maybe he lost 7kgs from his upper body and lost no power. We don't know so its not worth arguing over or pretending that you do know.

Maybe his absolute power decreased slightly, but his decrease in CdA partially offset that and he maintained velocity, but we are now starting to talk about subtle differences when looking at performance on the flat. Doping produces big, noticable differences, but again, that never happened.

But the discussion of upper vs lower, %bf, yadda yadda is all sophistic - ie "apparently sound but really fallacious" arguing, intended to muddy the discussion, misdirect and generally obfuscate.

Why?

Because the things that matter in generating power, are things like oxygen transport, and oxygen consumption (eg mitochondrial density). Weight of muscle per se doesn't mean a lot at this level, where a rider has been training and racing for years, has his mechanical efficiency sorted, maxed out his VO2max, plasma expansion, etc through intense training and racing, etc, etc, things he would have had to do to be world champion at anything on the track, and even for the autobus he regularly rode in as a pro roadie, just making the time cut.

The impact of the weightloss is not the loss in muscle mass. It's the loss in total blood volume, and subsequent loss in total hemaglobin mass and therefore loss in VO2max.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20335738
Maximal oxygen uptake (VO2max), which, in a way, represents endurance performance, is, according to Fick’s equa-tion, determined by the oxygen supply of the blood and by the oxygen consumption of the skeletal muscle.

Nadler's formula says this:

TBV = 0.3669 * (Ht in m)^3 + 0.03219 * (Wt in kgs) + 0.6041

if we simplify the formula, given changing your height is not easily doable, we have

TBV = K + n x weight
where
K = 0.3669 x (Ht in m)^3 + 0.6041
and n = 0.03219

This formula basically says: if you lose or gain weight, you lose or gain TBV.

"Normal" hematocrit is 42% (~14g/dL). So if you've just lost weight, over time, your body's total hemaglobin mass is going to equalise, leaving you back at 14 g/dL Hgb.

Simplified, TBV is proportional to VO2max, and subsequently absolute power.

And we even have an example, provided by our very good friend, Krebs Cycle, who said:

Krebs cycle said:
It is very difficult to loose [sic] a lot of weight and maintain absolute power. Cadel tried this approach mid way through his world cup mtb career and he went from about 66-67kg down to about 62-63kg over a period of at least 6 months (I think it was more like 8 or 9 though). He lost absolute power but managed to slightly increase w/kg.

Does the Nadler formulae and my hypothesis fit the observation?

Rider: Cadel
Height: 1.74m
Weight: 67kg
Avg Hgb: 14g/dL
Abs power : 400 W (used for illustrative purposes)

TBV @ 67kg: 4.7l
tHgb mass = 14 * 47 = 658g Hgb
Abs power: 400W = .6W / g Hgb
p::w = 400/67 = 6W/kg

TBV @ 62kg: 4.5l
tHgb mass = 14 * 45 = 630g Hgb
Abs power: 382W @ .6W / g Hgb
p::w = 382/62 = 6.17W/kg

His total power goes down a bit (4.5%) but his power to weight increases ~3%. ie he could climb slightly better, but his flat TT would suffer - where power to CdA is the determining factor.

Let's look at Brad now:

Rider: Bradley Wiggins
Height: 1.9m
Weight 1: 82kg
Weight 2: 69kg
Avg Hgb: 14g/dL
Abs power : tP W (left as a variable - apologies for making it look confusing, but the results fall out at the end. Bear with me).

TBV @ 82 kg: 5.7l
tHgb mass = 14 * 57 = 798g Hgb
Abs power: tP Watts = tP / 798 W/g Hgb.
power::weight = tP/82 W/kg

TBV @ 69kg: 5.3l
tHgb mass = 14 * 53 = 742g Hgb
Abs power: tP x 742 / 798W = 93% tP
power::weight = 0.93 x tP / 69 = tP/74 W/kg

So Brad's absolute power would be expected to decrease 7%, but his power:weight would increase 10.8%.
NB: If his original weight for comparison was 77kg, the differences would be ~5.4% decrease in total power, ~5.6% increase in power::weight.

Brad certainly climbed better than he ever has at this Tour, thanks to the improved P:W. Unfortunately, Brad's complete and utter drubbing of everyone in the 2012 Tour de France long TTs & Olympic Games TT would seem to indicate there was not the expected 7% decrease in power.

In fact, given he was at the head of the race, we would expect his performance against other riders to at best remain static, or slightly diminsh, thanks to the wonders of plasma expansion. Instead, we see his TT performances do this:

Stage 9: Chris Froome needs 3% more power to match Wiggins
Stage 19: Chris Froome needs 6% more power to match Wiggins

Stage 9: 10th place needs 13% more power to match Wiggins
Stage 19: 10th place needs 15% more power to match Wiggins

Conclusion: Something isn't right.

Assumptions:
* no significant difference in plasma expansion between Brad being World champion on the track and training and racing as a pro on the road for the 8 years before he has an unexpected 4th at the 2009 Tour de France. Safeish as he lost weight.
* there was sufficient time during the weight loss for blood parameters to stabilise, reaching their original values. Safeish, it happened over a number of months.
* whether an athlete's stable Hgb is 12 or 16 g/dL - it would return to that value. I have used 14g/dL for the calculations merely to provide an example.
* I have used the standard Nadler formulae for TBV. Whether an athlete's TBV follows Nadler's equation exactly or not, their height will not change, and their blood volume definitely will due to weight loss - that phenomenon is not in dispute.
* oxygen consumption remains static. With decreased muscle mass, there remains the distinct possibility that you lose mitochondria in the process, meaning oxygen consumption would also diminish.
* ther factors affecting oxygen consumption (eg thermoregulation) that may improve with muscle loss, are outweighed by the loss in Total Hemaglobin Mass.
* Total Hgb mass correlates well with Total blood volume and Hgb (g/dL) is constant. This is based on the observation of the volume regulating system in action for blood withdrawal and transfusion, namely:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20335738
Blood withdrawal leads to a decrease in [Hb] because of a rapid ex-pansion of plasma volume compensating for the loss of blood
volume and a delayed and slow increase in tHb-mass until the original [Hb] is attained again within 30 d ((22); Figs. 4 and 6,
arrows b and c). In contrast, in blood transfusion studies, the erythropoietic system is suppressed within 21 d after trans-fusion, as indicated by a decrease in reticulocyte count, until the individual [Hb] and tHb-mass is restored

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
By my math a change from 82kg to 74kg using your numbers is a 10.8% increase in power to weight (or 11%, not 10% as in your post).

Sorry if I missed it but what is the basis for assuming that power is directly related to total plasma?

Sep 29, 2012
Preemo said:
By my math a change from 82kg to 74kg using your numbers is a 10.8% increase in power to weight (or 11%, not 10% as in your post).

Fixed thanks.

Preemo said:
Sorry if I missed it but what is the basis for assuming that power is directly related to total plasma?

Based on my understanding of this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20335738 - cited above.

Endurance power ~= VO2max ~= Oxygen transport + Oxygen consumption.

Assume that even though the athlete has lost muscle mass, Oxygen consumption stays the same - ie is constant pre and post weight loss. We therefore have:

Endurance power ~= VO2max ~= Oxygen transport

Oxygen transport = Total Hemaglobin Mass.

Endurance power ~= VO2max ~= Oxygen transport ~= Total Hemaglobin Mass.

Endurance power ~= Total Hemaglobin Mass.

Keeping in mind I am talking about the change in endurance power after a (significant) loss in weight.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks.

I can't access the study but read the abstract. Also, I'm just a bloke who rides a bike so I have no special insights into these areas.

Having said that, the study was probably done with people who were relatively steady in the weight over the period they were measured. Changes in weight may have other effects. For example a quick google of "muscle mass blood plasma volume" found this study (http://www.jssm.org/vol7/n3/12/v7n3-12pdf.pdf) which is accessible to the public which shows that cycling with one leg causes less heart rate drift that cycling with two legs. Possible implication may be that the decline in VO2Max may not be proportional at 1:1 with total blood volume.

Just saying - I think everything else in your chain of logic is pretty sound, but this is possibly more complicated that a 1:1 ratio between VO2Max and blood volume.

A way to test it would be to plot a scatter chart of mass vs VO2Max for an athlete from any sport and see if they support a relationship like you hypothesize. A google exercise for another night.

Sep 29, 2012
Apologies - I hate not being able to read the study.

I have a link to a PDF download, here: http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...h4GwCA&usg=AFQjCNGrQ4TOyjolI2k7Eo6JcTYSkGXg7g

I am relying on the Nadler equation to show a reduction in weight leads to a reduction in total blood volume. The study shows / cites:
1. Hgb returns to original values post total blood volume change and
2. VO2max correlates well with total Hgb mass

which is, I believe, all I need to make the assertion I have, as the comparison is for an athlete with his heavier self, not another athlete.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Anyone on the forum a doc. or medical professional who can comment on these?

"He's now asked the UCI, cycling's governing body, to publish his blood values taken for their biological passport programme – an anti-doping system that monitors riders' physiological data.

The data will be available on Monday, as will all his results from his team's internal testing programme."

Excuse me but what does the UCI have to do with Wiggin's blood values and their release? On the day they are to announce their reply to USADA file???

What a f***ing joke.

1. Presumably the data are Wiggins', and Team Sky's. not UCI's. It is not appropriate for UCI to "own" this data. Yes to do the tests, yes to be able to declare a rider positive (under current and highly questionable UCI responsibilities), but not to release the data (no different to patient medical data). That should be the rider's or team's. UCI's role to control doping is already very troubled to say the least. Totally inappropriate for UCI to release this data. And even more so on Monday.

2. UCI has a vested interest to declare team Sky clean. It fits the story that "cycling is now clean". That "the blood passport works". That we "can trust" them. Not only is UCI releasing this data a conflict of interest, it reeks of an impending snowjob.

3. The data release is a good sign. But it needs to be:
A. complete, ie not missing vital parameters & time periods
B. together with explanations of qualitative events, training camps, illness, tapers, etc, so it can be appropriately interpreted
C. released at an appropriate time, free of other media interest, by team Sky, and independent from UCI media spin opportunities that "the sport is now clean"
D. If the data (ultimately) is not owned by the rider (which would arguably be an ethical issue) then UCI needs to hand it over to an independent organization/consultants for interpretation and release (as per A,B,C)

There are plenty of folk here on the forum and elsewhere who will be able to interpret it. That is not the issue.

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Apologies - I hate not being able to read the study.

I have a link to a PDF download, here: http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...h4GwCA&usg=AFQjCNGrQ4TOyjolI2k7Eo6JcTYSkGXg7g

I am relying on the Nadler equation to show a reduction in weight leads to a reduction in total blood volume. The study shows / cites:
1. Hgb returns to original values post total blood volume change and
2. VO2max correlates well with total Hgb mass

which is, I believe, all I need to make the assertion I have, as the comparison is for an athlete with his heavier self, not another athlete.

Interesting stuff.

How accurate is the Nadler equation wrt calculating the bv for a trained athlete?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Don Quixote said:
Interesting stuff.

How accurate is the Nadler equation wrt calculating the bv for a trained athlete?

How accurate does it need to be? There's still a positive relationship between body mass, bv and power.

Sep 29, 2012
Don Quixote said:
Interesting stuff.

I went looking for that - and for kids it's not too accurate as is, but for adults it's apparently pretty safe. Not sure on trained athletes.

The study I linked shows remarkably higher blood volume than what I have calculated, no doubt due in part to plasma expansion (up to 1l during the Tour de France is mentioned), but as the next post points out: the relationship is not in dispute, and should be consistent enough between pre and post-weight loss that the accuracy I have used provides an example of the effect, even if it is actually different for an individual.

It's not 100% clear but in my assumptions I write,

although I have used 14g/dL for the calculations and an unmodified Nadler formulae for TBV, the natural values of these 2 variables would seem to be consistent for the rider, and decrease with weight loss. Whether their stable Hgb is 12 or 16 - it would return to that value. Whether their TBV follows Nadler's or not, their height will not change, and their blood volume definitely will due to weight loss - that phenomenon is not in dispute.

I should separate them out to make it clearer.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
The naive argument being:

muscles make power,
therefore less muscles = less power...

The impact of the weight loss is not the loss in muscle mass. It's the loss in total blood volume, and subsequent loss in total hemaglobin mass and therefore loss in VO2max...

His total power goes down a bit (4.5%) but his power to weight increases ~3%. ie he could climb slightly better, but his flat TT would suffer - where power to CdA is the determining factor.

Brad certainly climbed better than he ever has at this Tour, thanks to the improved P:W. Unfortunately, Brad's complete and utter drubbing of everyone in the 2012 Tour de France long TTs & Olympic Games TT would seem to indicate there was not the expected 7% decrease in power.

Conclusion: Something isn't right.

This for me is the most questionable bit about Brad: The (flat) TT performances vs climbing ability. His 2012 climbing ability improvement was amazing, but to also see his TT ability retained if not improved is simply "remarkable". Reduced weight per se ought not improve TT's. Unless the reduced weight is very disproportionately fat & upper body, hence the relevant muscle mass as % of total body weight is increased.

On the other issue - Less weight meaning less blood volume required and less absolute Hb makes sense, but not lower VO2Max, as presumably this would be proportional to reduced total muscle mass and body weight/'circulatory requirement'. So would we not expect VO2Max to remain same/similar?

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
That is a great study. Thanks for sharing it. I really found Figure 6 very illuminating and as you point out it supports the relationship between VO2max and total blood volume.

I'm now pretty much on the same page as you but I would caution that these studies are based on body weight remaining the same and blood volumes changing and Nadler is based on untrained people.

So Wiggo should have become a better climber and a poorer TT rider but didn't, right?

You know pre-USADA I would have argued to give him the benefit of the doubt but now I don't trust any of the top riders except Cadel.

TRENDING THREADS