• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins could miss TDF due to chest infection, knee injury

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Deflection noted. Forum consensus is that yes, Wiggins had the team hold Froome back. Seriously dude, you already know this if you've been around here since last July. Whether you AGREE with it, well that is your issue. But it is the generally accepted version of events. If Froome was unleashed, it was going to be a much different race. He looked like he was on a LEASH. These things are obvious if you've watched enough cycling. But again, that's your problem.
Froome was held back in the mountains, no one is denying that but I don't remember there being a consensus he held back on the TT which is what you are saying. Hence my point about the Olympics. Strawman argument noted.
You thought wrong. Read the thread. Only the uber Wiggins fans are praising him. It's called an EXCUSE. Again, your issue, not mine.
So because people have posted an opinion makes it fact.

Again, with the hypothetical's on something that has been written. Why do that? We know what happened. Cav was wasted and fell over so many times it wasn't funny. He was a dead weight. Hence why he NOW RIDES for OPQS.
Again with the hypotheticals? Even though you whole argument is based on a hypothetical since no one on the board knows the truth.

The fact remains, if Wiggins is as good as his fans have said he is, then YES, there is most definitely a spot for him as a helper for Chris Froome. Problem is there is more than enough evidence to suggest the sheer idea of that is unpalatable to Wiggins. Catching on??? He doesn't want to ride, so they made whatever reason up AFTER the matter to excuse his absence. If he had tendinitis badly enough, he'd be in surgery and we'd have heard about it a week and a half ago. It's internal politics based of PERSONALITY. Otherwise known as EGO.
Or he wants to try and be ready for the Vuelta. Perhaps he does not want to ride for Froome. Perhaps Brailsford decided it would be best to have just Froome and not Wiggins. We can only speculate but as usual you try and make opinion try to sound like fact. The irony is that you would do well on Fox News.
Catching on???

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Ninouka said:
Sorry I was being intentionally obtuse and disingenuous in order to highlight the fact that you are attributing an oppinion of Froome by Wiggins that he is unlikely to have.
You have no way of knowing this, replace 'peasant' with 'footsoldier' and it will be clear.

Libertine Seguros said:
Sastre was a badass. That was his fourth straight GT, he'd been on the podium of all 3 (only promoted to 3rd in the '09 Giro during the '09 Tour, of course, but he had won two mountaintop finishes), he had nothing in the tank, but when the Romme/Colombière double came and he had nothing left at all, he was still the first one to get on the attack and kickstart the action amongst the GC men, even if he blew up when the others came back past him and he lost minutes.

When was the last time a defending Tour champ didn't show up? I mean, it happens at the Giro and Vuelta sometimes when people are going to the Tour instead (Menchov 2010, Contador 2009 at both) but usually unless there's a suspension the defending champ will show up. Now we can have the debate, which was the less dignified Grand Tour defence, Juanjo Cobo being dropped in the opening TTT or Wiggins not showing up? Even then, though, Movistar did right by Cobo and when Valverde crashed in red and Sky put the hammer down, they had Cobo and Intxausti up the road; Intxausti was clearly in better form (eventually finished 10th) but they knew it was not fair to ask the defending champion to domestique on stage 4 when they're still in the GC mix (and because of the TTT, in a good spot too). Sure, Cobo was domestiquing in week 3 when he'd already fallen way out of the race, but in the early running, the defending champion gets some privileges.

Cobo is a legend.

Sky seriously need to hire him to dom for Froome.

I think Bradders has serious delusions of grandeur. You're right about Sastre. In 2009 the guy was completely overshadowed by the Lance comeback but it dignity all the way with Carlos.

I think Wiggins actually believes he's Indurain.

Just goes to prove cycling is not all about numbers. Well apart from IQ. That number is lacking.

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
You have no way of knowing this, replace 'peasant' with 'footsoldier' and it will be clear.

Sweetheart - I really like and respect Bradley Wiggins. The fact some people have a different oppinion does not bother me. On topic I am really disapointed that we will not get to see him compete at this Tour. It is somewhat interesting to speculated on the reasons behind his withdrawal. The speculations on the part of those who are are inclined
to dislike BW are sometimes especially fanciful.

Ninouka said:
Fearless Greg Lemond - why do you think Froome is a peasant?

Chances are he grew up in some comfort and privelidge with a sense of entitlement and superiority that sadly accompanies white people growing up in Africa.
I dont know much about him so please correct me if I am wrong.

Born in Kenya. Raised in South Africa. Lives in Monaco. Claims he has always felt "British."

thehog said:
I think Wiggins actually believes he's Indurain.
Just goes to prove cycling is not all about numbers.
Well back in the 90's Silvio Berlusconi was paying Big Mig about
2.5 million pounds to start the Giro. As cyclings biggest star in
2012 Big Wiggo probably got a wee bit more this year. Those
are the only numbers that count. Now, what colour leather
interior will the wife choose for the new Roller?

oldcrank said:

First, aside from some little, unimportant island, Wiggums is not anywhere close to being a star like Indurain. He is just an anti-social, one hit wonder whose racing is as boring as watching paint dry.

Second, if Wiggums was paid more than five pounds to ride the Giro then after that miserable performance in Italy, there should be a demand for the money to be paid back.

1st. 2012 Tour de France
1st. 2012 Paris-Nice
1st. 2012 Tour de Romandie
1st. 2012 Criterium du Dauphine
1st. 2012 x seven ITT stages
1st. 2012 Olympic Games time trial
1st. Kid from Kilburn to win Tour

The sports biggest star demands the sports biggest fee.

oldcrank said:
1st. 2012 Tour de France
1st. 2012 Paris-Nice
1st. 2012 Tour de Romandie
1st. 2012 Criterium du Dauphine
1st. 2012 x seven ITT stages
1st. 2012 Olympic Games time trial
1st. Kid from Kilburn to win Tour

The sports biggest star demands the sports biggest fee.

The guy should be able to make enough from the 2012 season alone to be set for a long, long time (what with various endorsements, media opportunities etc that can come from it on top of prize money, salary et al). But just because he had a stupendous year (and he did, make no bones about it) does not instantly make him the sport's biggest star, just one of an ensemble cast of the elites. Contador, Boonen, Valverde, Cavendish, Gilbert, Sagan and Rodríguez all have cases they can make. Even just to an Anglophone audience it's a close call between him and Cavendish. Wiggins probably wins out on the palmarès front to the public, but that'sonly because the general population are more familiar with winning the Tour and Olympic golds and don't need points classifications or stage win totals explaining to them to understand Wiggins' achievements.

must... try... to... avoid... mentioning... Vos...

Don't be late Pedro said:
Who is making excuses? You are hazarding a guess at why he is not riding the Tour. I am suggesting an alternative reason. Either could be true.

What makes you think Froome held back? Was he also holding back in the Olympics?

I think that if Wiggins had ridden and had pulled out that many people would be saying that he took up a spot that could have been used by another rider.

Cav did indeed ride and they lost another rider (Siutsou). Again, if things had not gone Wiggins way I am pretty sure people would have been saying how they should never have taken Cav (which would seem a reasonable argument).

Going by what Rod Ellingworth said on Road to Glory had Cav not won the Rainbow Jersey he wouldn't of gone.

dolophonic said:
interesting because when he pulled out of the Giro i dont remember his knee injury being mentioned.http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-pulls-out-of-the-giro-ditalia

I mentioned it!

And long before he pulled out

I saw the strapping on an early wet stage.....thought I posted this at the time and yesterday, but its easy for things to get lost amongst all this poison.

Forum special: trouble is, the vitriol undermines any relevant observation made elsewhere

Pereiro rode like a champ during Floyd stage, even though he probably knew whats going on with Landis

Wigans never did a ride like that in his life, thats for sure

Edit: I was looking forward to see him dropped in penultimate climb, well we will get to see The Dawg show

oldcrank said:

Sadly it's already been confirmed that Wiggins was not paid to ride the Giro. Apart from his regular salary.

Didn't matter if he was there or not. He was a sideshow. A comedy act. Did you see that decending? :rolleyes:

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Sadly it's already been confirmed that Wiggins was not paid to ride the Giro. Apart from his regular salary.

Didn't matter if he was there or not. He was a sideshow. A comedy act. Did you see that decending? :rolleyes:

I'll miss him in the Tour for all that. Let's hope he rides the Vuelta :D

TRENDING THREADS