• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggins Discussion thread.

Page 150 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
willbick said:
he wasnt the best climber but he was the best on the overall parcours. If Froome was a rival he might have taken a minute or 2 out of him on the climbs but Wiggins would've still won the overall due to his superior ITT. I dont know why you think it was a laughable result. If you didnt like the course fair enough but Wiggins was a worthy winner on the course. He didnt lose a single second to a rival (from another team!) on the whole tour.

Please try to be a little less prejudiced.

he wasn't the best on course either. froome lost over 2 minutes in stage 2 crash and if he was allowed to attack he'd taken 5 minutes at leats on wiggins. also wiggins completely dropped dead after a froome attack and nibali and jvdb were ahead of him as well.

wow

that's the IF town fair :rolleyes:

come see, ladies and gentlemen: IF....

he won, I know it hurts, but he won :D

it amazes me how the people who hope to see Froome crushed by Quintana o Nibali or --insert a rider's name-- are so p1ssed about Wiggo winning the Tour, to prefer Froome as the 2012 Tour winner

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
pastronef said:
wow

it amazes me how the people who hope to see Froome crushed by Quintana o Nibali or --insert a rider's name-- are so p1ssed about Wiggo winning the Tour, to prefer Froome as the 2012 Tour winner

Just so we're clear, which people are you referring to?

Wiggins preparing for is role in July:

BgMbZgaIQAAV29k.jpg

Ryo Hazuki said:
he wasn't the best on course either. froome lost over 2 minutes in stage 2 crash and if he was allowed to attack he'd taken 5 minutes at leats on wiggins. also wiggins completely dropped dead after a froome attack and nibali and jvdb were ahead of him as well.

The fact that Van Garderen finished in the top five puts things in perspective.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
pastronef said:
wow

As for me (and imo few others) its because there is a feeling that Froome shoulda/woulda has won,already in 2012 he was better rider for that route...it has nothing to do with Froome's popularity at this forum:)
simo1733 said:
I like Wiggo's Half Union Flag.

Very nice indeed;)

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
pastronef said:
wow

would you be ****ed if a rider won the tour who turned out doped? fale form of compeition. this is the same thing. wiggins winning the tour is as bad as a doped cyclist winning it these days

Ryo Hazuki said:
would you be ****ed if a rider won the tour who turned out doped? fale form of compeition. this is the same thing. wiggins winning the tour is as bad as a doped cyclist winning it these days

so it is as bad as Froome winning the 2013 tour these days.
but Wiggo is so disliked that people prefer seeing Froome winning the 2012 Tour.
I'm not a Wiggins or Froome fan (I prefer an other team who gets much love on here, Garmin :p)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
At least Wiggins may actually be going back to the Tour this July, assuming he finds the form he needs – he believes he will have to be capable of getting on to the podium or near it to earn his place alongside Froome in Sky's squad. That looked remote last June, when he told the Guardian that he was having serious doubts about whether he would ever find the mental strength to make the sacrifices he needed to in order to return to France. That followed a spring of speculation about who would lead Sky.

He explains: "From the moment I won the Tour in 2012 it was always [seen as] inevitable – 'when are you going to start the preparations to defend it next year?'. People would ask that but in my head I'd be thinking, hold on a minute, I've only just come to terms with this one. There came a point where it was fight, flight or freeze, so my initial thoughts were, I don't want to ride next year, I need a year off.

"I was quite vulnerable then," he says of the days after he quit the Giro d'Italia with a knee problem. "There was so much going on. I'd had that injury. I felt quite low. Chris was winning everything. It was such a drastic change from the year before. I'd been knocked off the treadmill – finally. I remember the tone of that interview. It was very much relief. It wasn't giving up, it was more, yeah, OK, maybe I can accept it now.

"But a couple of weeks after that I got my knee sorted, came out to Majorca, started training ... going up all the climbs I'd been doing in training [in 2012]. I realised when I was out here again that I loved training and that I loved the sport. When I watched bits of the Tour [I realised] that I missed it and that I wanted to go back. I'm not done yet."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/feb/14/bradley-wiggins-not-done-yet-with-tour-de-france?

gooner said:
Happy to see Brad is considering a start in The Commonwealth Games
ITT which would be on the Thursday after the Tour finishes.

For all his World Championships and Olympic Golds, Wiggo has no
Commonwealth Golds. He does have a total of three silvers from
the 1998 and 2002 Games, which would be a fantastic career
for most cyclists...but perhaps Mr. Wiggins would like to right
the wrongs of 2002 when the Aussies swept the medals in a
number of the cycling events at the Manchester Games.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Brad dreams of entering the Roubaix Veledrome having dropped Fabian and Boonen in the last 5k. He dreams of riding them off his wheel in last 5k. Sometimes though his dreams are interrupted by the nightmare realisation that Froome could have destroyed him at the 2012 Tour and that he also owes Froome a Tour of Spain !.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Sky bought Wiggins 2012 Tour by buying off Froome. Exactly the same as Doping in my book. Huge advantage to Sir Wigg. That edge vaporised the moment they gave him the title in 2012. It would drive me ****ing crazy knowing the truth. That's why he ****ed up the whole 2013 season. Must eat the ego maniac up.

arvc40 said:
Brad dreams of entering the Roubaix Veledrome having dropped Fabian and Boonen in the last 5k. He dreams of riding them off his wheel in last 5k. Sometimes though his dreams are interrupted by the nightmare realisation that Froome could have destroyed him at the 2012 Tour and that he also owes Froome a Tour of Spain !.
No, my friend, that will never occur because Dr. Steve Peters is on
the the staff of SKY/21st CENTURY FOX/PINARELLO/RAPHA
to make sure things like that don't happen.
http://www.teamsky.com/profile/0,27291,17543_8342932,00.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-KI1D5NPJs
I also highly recommend Dr. Peter's book "The Chimp Paradox",
especially if you are a competitive athlete, my friend.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
arvc40 said:

The key word here being "dream." Because that's all a top result in Roubaix will ever be for Wiggins, a dream.

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Wiggins shouldn't be underestimated in the finale of a selected group. His tt and pursuit pedigree carries some weight. But he needs to get to the finale first.
I doubt he has experience to choose path and avoid jams while trying to get there with the best.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
me i think exactly the opposite:)

i think he still is one of the peloton's biggest engines but i don't know i just can't see him staying safe from all those crashes and splits

+1 you can have as big engines as you want, staying save will be the most difficult task. I don't see how sky train can nurse him all the way through the cobble section like the way they did in the mountain.

Reminding me of how he descended the wet road in the Giro. I hope this isn't going to be as bad as that. (you know.. when his nerve takes over him):D

TRENDING THREADS