Wiggins Discussion thread.

He gets taken the **** out of far more than his fair share and today showed balls and strength reminiscent of Andy Schleck on 18.

The only real surprise is that 6 hours after he did that, a thread of this sort had not yet been started.
 
Jul 2, 2009
2,310
0
0
To be able to be a GC contender and one of the greats on the track shows an exceptional ability. The first to have done that since Moser, probably. Those on here who mocked him really showed their ignorance.

He's probably the best Belgian born stage racer since, I don't know, van Impe probably.
 
l.Harm said:
Dope!!!!

No, great performance today. Questionable how he'll perform on the really steep climbs.
Well, who are really the big threats on the steeper climbs? Rodrigues for one but good then that he manage to put time into him on a climb like today. Not sure who out of the others are that much more favoured over him on the really steep stuff. Nibali strikes me as someone who also prefers a climb like today. I'm hard pressed to think of anyone else that both favours steeper climbs and that also is a contender against Wiggins. One that I know likes the steep stuff is Kessiakoff but at the same time he is very inexperienced at this sort of thing so it's hard to see him really challenge for the podium. There is also a big question mark about who whether Kessiakoff can last 3 weeks.

My prediction for Angliru is that we will see the favourites moving along in a fairly collected way and the attacks will mainly come from riders that like the steep climbs but who aren't a huge threat in GC adding to that J-Rod of course.
 
I think Nibali is better than Wiggins on that climbs. Will be difficult for Wiggins to beat Nibali this Vuelta. It's not about being Nibali good on steep climbs, but about Wiggins being weak (probably) on that climbs.
 
Mar 9, 2010
526
0
0
everyone who voted for wiggins in the pre vuelta poll was practically laughed out of town. and now this?

:rolleyes:

would love to see brad get one.
 
Jul 25, 2011
31
0
0
The Hitch said:
He gets taken the **** out of far more than his fair share and today showed balls and strength reminiscent of Andy Schleck on 18.

The only real surprise is that 6 hours after he did that, a thread of this sort had not yet been started.
Yep I think u can expect him to b slammed just as quickly if he puts a foot wrong. His ride didn't surprise me that much after his strong performance in the Dauphine, though he did show some signs of fading in the final mountain stage, so if the TT puts him right back to the top of the GC, can he go the distance with some serious climbing to come? I reckon he's a good chance as no one else seems to be dominant at the moment. Bring on the Angliru, that should sort them out!
 
May 24, 2010
749
0
0
Clemson Cycling said:
Is there anyone outside the UK that likes Mr. Wiggo
Does anyone outside the US like Bottle or Pharmstrong???

Brad surprised the hell out of me today, I really didn't think he'd have the ability to tackle the top of Covatilla like that but all credit too him, he has established himself as a very very good stage racer over the last two years, learnt from his mistakes and gotten better. Tomorrow is key for him, if he can take sufficient time out of Nibs he becomes a strong strong contender. I think J Rod is out of it, he'll lose three minutes plus tomorrow to the good TT riders, Chapeau wiggo!!
 
May 23, 2011
943
0
0
Siriuscat said:
Does anyone outside the US like Bottle or Pharmstrong???
You would be hard pressed to find anyone IN the U.S. that likes Bottle. Aside from a few jock sniffers, there are few knowledgeable fans that will deny that Lance is a fraud with a nasty personality.

Wiggins is the British Bottle but with less wins.
 
May 24, 2010
749
0
0
Damiano Machiavelli said:
You would be hard pressed to find anyone IN the U.S. that likes Bottle. Aside from a few jock sniffers, there are few knowledgeable fans that will deny that Lance is a fraud with a nasty personality.

Wiggins is the British Bottle but with less wins.
Maybe so, bottle doesn't have the track palmares to compare with though and Brad has morphed from a pure trackie to a very good stage racer.
 
May 23, 2011
943
0
0
Siriuscat said:
Maybe so, bottle doesn't have the track palmares to compare with though and Brad has morphed from a pure trackie to a very good stage racer.
Nobody cares about track but a few brits and aussies. You might as well bring up his record playing croquet. As it is Wiggins has one stage race win, and that race had a crappy route.
 
Mar 9, 2010
526
0
0
Damiano Machiavelli said:
You would be hard pressed to find anyone IN the U.S. that likes Bottle. Aside from a few jock sniffers, there are few knowledgeable fans that will deny that Lance is a fraud with a nasty personality.

Wiggins is the British Bottle but with less wins.
you are everything that is wrong with this forum. all in one post. have you noticed your own personality? or is that just a standard you hold for other people?

when did this thread become about lance and levi anyway?:confused:
 
May 23, 2011
943
0
0
spanky wanderlust said:
you are everything that is wrong with this forum. all in one post. have you noticed your own personality? or is that just a standard you hold for other people?

when did this thread become about lance and levi anyway?:confused:
Do not hate the player. Hate the game.
 
Jul 20, 2011
577
0
0
Clemson Cycling said:
Is there anyone outside the UK that likes Mr. Wiggo
I am outside the UK and I like him. obviously not as bitter and twisted and most on here.

frankly started coming on here to keep an eye on transfer rumours, got drawn into a few discussions and now every time i read threads get utterly depressed by this place

over the continual bashing of riders, of anyone who does anything. honestly i wonder why some people in this forum even bother with the sport given the fact that apparently everyone dopes and they hate dopers.

will stick to reading the web site and wait a little longer to get transfer rumours confirmed and keep myself out of this sad depressing place.
 
daveinzambia said:
I am outside the UK and I like him. obviously not as bitter and twisted and most on here.

frankly started coming on here to keep an eye on transfer rumours, got drawn into a few discussions and now every time i read threads get utterly depressed by this place

over the continual bashing of riders, of anyone who does anything. honestly i wonder why some people in this forum even bother with the sport given the fact that apparently everyone dopes and they hate dopers.

will stick to reading the web site and wait a little longer to get transfer rumours confirmed and keep myself out of this sad depressing place.
We will miss your acumen. Really.
 
Jul 20, 2011
577
0
0
Moose McKnuckles said:
We will miss your acumen. Really.
exactly the sort of comment that makes it not worthwhile coming here.

congratulations i am sure you feel very proud of yourself
 
Moose McKnuckles said:
what the friggin h3ll does this mean? :)
Cricket = Paolo Bettini
Grasshoppa = some guy named David Carradine on 'Kung Fu'?
Just curious.

But while at it, I'll throw a litte love Wiggins way. Crap, I was disappointed he had to bail the Tour. Would have been nice to see what he would have done there. And as some others said already, he rode with balls today. Gotta love that.
 
I think that some of the Wiggins dislike comes from his apparent luck at finishing so high at a 'weak' Tour. The thing is though, is that Wiggins didn't really get his 4th place because of time trialling. Rather, he climbed very well on Verbier (which is not exactly Zoncolan, but tough enough to sort the GC out) and wasn't turn far behind on the Queen stage 17. If Bradley makes it onto the podium this Vuelta then he has proven his pedigree as a decent GT climber.
 
Nov 11, 2010
2,665
0
0
He's actually surprising me so far. I would have expected him to be over 10 minutes down. I was one of those that thought his 4th place at the Tour was a fluke, but I'm beginning to doubt that. The Vuelta's still far from over, so I'll be 50/50 on that. With the TT tomorrow, he has a good chance to move further up on GC.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY