Wiggins Restricted

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
14,634
3
0
pmcg76 said:
How I laughed when I read that, and as usual some fanboys got their knicker's in a knot.

I would think that the comment by JV almost make's up for all the other spin he puts out there.
I LOLed also, but was Vaughters just being catty or was it a serious comment? Did Astana not push the pace like Bruyneel's teams usually do? If so then Wiggins is in for an even bigger surprise this year than the more mountainous course suggests.

Also, Vaughters praised Wiggins ability on a flat course with a hill at the end. Can this be construed as Wiggins won't be so good on a real mountain stage with several big passes? That is the way I read it.
 

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
623
0
0
BroDeal said:
From the latest CN story:

Wiggins: "It wasn't really anything personal with the riders and I spoke to most of them before I left. I know I couldn't have got fourth without the help those guys gave me. But I think I can do better this year and make improvements in certain areas I felt I was always restricted with at that team."
Wiggins is the real deal. He should be feared.

Of course, if he does well he won't get credit for it here.
 
Mar 18, 2009
14,634
3
0
Carboncrank said:
Wiggins is the real deal. He should be feared.

Of course, if he does well he won't get credit for it here.
Reading comprehension problems again, I see. I think Dim could tell you all about Wiggins' potential. Just because others think that Wiggins is a pretender who lucked out on the worst TdF course in living memory does not mean that there are not Wiggins supporters/believers.
 
BroDeal said:
I LOLed also, but was Vaughters just being catty or was it a serious comment? Did Astana not push the pace like Bruyneel's team's usually do? If so then Wiggins is in for an even bigger surprise this year than the more mountainous course suggests.

Also, Vaughters praised Wiggins ability on a flat course with a hill at the end. Can this be construed as Wiggins won't be so good on a real mountain stage with several big passes? That is the way I read it.
Actually Contador said the same thing--that there were a couple of times during the TdF that he wanted the team to ride faster.
 
Mar 19, 2009
248
0
0
Hugh Januss said:
Perhaps he is speaking of some facet of his "preparation"?
i'm sure he is. probably referring to the specific role Garmin had earmarked for him (i.e 'super domestic for VdV) and therefore the targeted training designed to tune his engine so he could ride up front to the base of the big claims.

if Wiggins wants to win a GT he needs to improve his climbing and also needs a team that will protect him 100%. he has the potential to be win Indurain style if he can bring his track form into TT's and at least hang on in the mountains.

at Garmin, he'd be wasting energy on VdV.
 
Wiggins better off produce some good results in this opening season to silence the critics-otherwise his inflated campaign won't last long. As far as JV comments on him, I think he's mad because he couldn't really use the buy out money to get AC or anybody with serious prospects to podium this year.
P.S: the JV comment on LA is spot on
 
mherm79 said:
i'm sure he is. probably referring to the specific role Garmin had earmarked for him (i.e 'super domestic for VdV) and therefore the targeted training designed to tune his engine so he could ride up front to the base of the big claims.

if Wiggins wants to win a GT he needs to improve his climbing and also needs a team that will protect him 100%. he has the potential to be win Indurain style if he can bring his track form into TT's and at least hang on in the mountains.

at Garmin, he'd be wasting energy on VdV.
Uhm, okay not exactly what I meant, but that's alright, I bet it's not what JV had in mind for BW either.
BTW What is a "big claim"?
 

Carboncrank

BANNED
Jul 27, 2009
623
0
0
BroDeal said:
Reading comprehension problems again, I see. I think Dim could tell you all about Wiggins' potential. Just because others think that Wiggins is a pretender who lucked out on the worst TdF course in living memory does not mean that there are not Wiggins supporters/believers.
What I meant is that he won't get credit. He'll get called a doper.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
1
0
BroDeal said:
From the latest CN story:

Wiggins: "It wasn't really anything personal with the riders and I spoke to most of them before I left. I know I couldn't have got fourth without the help those guys gave me. But I think I can do better this year and make improvements in certain areas I felt I was always restricted with at that team."

How was Wiggins restricted by Garmin? Did they force him to occasionally get a haircut?

Another nice tidbit: "Some one was always going to get hurt along the way but that's the way it is."

Looks like he did not care who he hurt to get his way.
BroDeal said:
I might as well stick this in here as well:

Sky, the most hated team in pro cycling

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/feb/04/bradley-wiggins-david-millar-team-sky?

Wiggins accuses other pros of being jealous:

Bradley Wiggins has responded angrily to criticism of his move to Team Sky and the squad's methods, accusing his former team-mate David Millar and others in the sport of "jealousy".
Wiggins needs to STFU. he is an absolute *** and needs to stop making a fool of himself.
 
Jun 18, 2009
374
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
I don't think we should claim this guy as as an aussie at all. Aussies aren't ***.
That's right; all Aussies are awesome. None of them are ***, even the murderers and rapists are just misunderstood.
 
Dec 29, 2009
409
0
0
mherm79 said:
i'm sure he is. probably referring to the specific role Garmin had earmarked for him (i.e 'super domestic for VdV) and therefore the targeted training designed to tune his engine so he could ride up front to the base of the big claims.

if Wiggins wants to win a GT he needs to improve his climbing and also needs a team that will protect him 100%. he has the potential to be win Indurain style if he can bring his track form into TT's and at least hang on in the mountains.

at Garmin, he'd be wasting energy on VdV.
after 2009 i don't think so. VdV has already had his career year and while i think that wiggins has also he does have more potential to actually win a GT.

ed rader
 
Sep 9, 2009
6,391
0
0
BroDeal said:
Looks like he did not care who he hurt to get his way.
I'm still trying to work out who got hurt here. Wiggins got paid (far too much), and Garmin got a pretty serious pay-off for a guy with a 1 year contract and no hope of doing anything in a GT with more than mountain.
 
Sep 20, 2009
263
0
9,030
So he is 50% australian and 50% Belgian so why is he interested in being English?

I note in the latest Cyclesport that Sky is not British Cycling but owned by Sky Sports!!!
 
Mar 12, 2009
701
0
0
i cant see what wiggins said in these articles that is irating so many. i think the comments of millar were more inflammatory and garmin are trying to stir things up. they have previous-ie stage to besancon last year
 
Aug 12, 2009
3,639
0
0
Carboncrank said:
Wiggins is the real deal. He should be feared.

Of course, if he does well he won't get credit for it here.
He won't, so no credit will need to be apportioned. A massive IF, I will give credit where it is due. But Brad can't won't do it. I'll reserve other comments for the clinic.
 
Jan 31, 2010
183
0
0
Hmm we'll see how he does, but for some reason I don't see him end up top 3. His TT will suffer a bit when he concentrates on the climbing too much I'm afraid, and apart from verbier he didn't really shake off anybody that's in for top 3 too :s. He should be taken seriously though :)
 
Jul 30, 2009
1,735
0
0
stefrees said:
i cant see what wiggins said in these articles that is irating so many. i think the comments of millar were more inflammatory and garmin are trying to stir things up. they have previous-ie stage to besancon last year
+1 JV is playing this brilliantly, everyone feels sorry for him and he got way more than even Sky thought Wiggins was worth for a 1 year contract

He's obviously getting confident about his spinning abilities with that comment about LA, he would have known how it was going to be received.

All this off/early-season *****iness and handbags - livens things up for sure
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY