• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggo debacle

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Have Team Sky lost your support after Wiggo Binned?

• I love my Team Sky 4EVA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Winterfold said:
There are 7 worse riders than Wiggo on that list and 8 worse TTers.
I'd say 8 and 9
Red Rick said:
Hated Sky, hated Wiggins, but I think what they're doing to Wiggins now is pretty digusting. You start a project to get the first British TdF winner, within 5 years, and end up not only winning the TdF with that British rider, but also dumping him like thrash within 5 years
Interesting. I wonder if it says more about the Sky leadership or Wiggins?
willbick said:
The fact is Froome and wiggins dont get on. At all. 3 weeks in the same bus, same team, same hotel would inevitably be a disaster. Furthermore the press would be over them constantly like a rash looking for any froome/wiggo disharmony stories, constantly, for the whole tour. Nightmare.
Sounds like 2009 and that was ultimately successful....sorta :eek:
senatorrick said:
I've always and always will dislikes Sky, I actually like Wiggo a little more now because of Sky's actions, but are their actions justified because maybe Wiggo is such a big ******? We don't know for sure because were not behind the closed door.
I haven't always disliked them but yeah, I kinda agree with this. I keep thinking what a dumb decision this is but then I remember what a tool Wiggins is and I'm not so sure :p
Mishrak said:
Pretty much this. Denying Wiggins the ability to defend his Tour de France title is almost unheard of in all of sport.
I was trying to think of a good equivalent and the closest I could come up with was a defending NFL Super Bowl champion QB being benched before the start of the following season...
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Anyway. Wiggins has always been a selfish rider, unable to offer much for the team for very long. But he deserves a glory ride and it's sad he doesn't get it.
And this.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Posting it 10 times won't make it true.

He wanted to ride the Tour, but Froome wouldn't have it and an injury pretext was found. I doubt your sources are closer to the situation than mine.

I was at a cycling event during the 2012 tour when Shane Sutton (close enough for you?!) said he didnt think Wiggins would ride the 2013 tour.

murali said:
let us put it this way: BMC managed their riders better than Sky. in terms of classics, OPQS managed their riders better.
FS, i dont like the way the team Sky is managed.

If wiggo is going to focus entirely on tracks, then he should have been given a respectable exit.

BMC I suppose deserve some credit there but I think the result for Evans probably would have been about the same in both races, hovering inside the top 10. BMC management obviously knew Evans would not podium the Tour and would struggle to finish ahead of TJVG even though they both had miserable races last time they raced the Tour. It's TJVG's time to step up.

The Hitch said:
Then why did wiggins spend the first half of 2013 talking about doing the Giro Tour double :rolleyes:

Didn't think it through, did you:cool:

As if he ever seriously was gonna go for the giro/tour double lol. Froome was clearly the designated tour GC rider for the best part of a year leading up to july 2013. If Wiggins did say that he must've been being mischievous coz he would've been perfectly aware that it was never going to happen

Dont take as gospel everything people say to the press

willbick said:
As if he ever seriously was gonna go for the giro/tour double lol. Froome was clearly the designated tour GC rider for the best part of a year leading up to july 2013. If Wiggins did say that he must've been being mischievous coz he would've been perfectly aware that it was never going to happen

Poor memory eh?

There was a big controversy about it last year just like this year.

Wiggins said repeatedly that he wanted to do the Tour and Cound got furious about it. Even Froome released a response saying "I am the leader"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22340878
"The Tour de France is my focus, it's just that I'm doing the Giro before."

The Hitch said:
Poor memory eh?

Wiggins said repeatedly that he wanted to do the Tour and Cound got furious about it. Even Froome released a response saying "I am the leader"

His cognitive dissonance has blanked that all out because an Aussie offered a throw away opinion to some fan 2 years ago.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Poor memory eh?

Wiggins did admit that he had difficulty with motivation post Tour and Olympics though. To compound that he rode into a car at 30mph in the first couple of weeks back in training and disadvantaged himself during a key phase of preparation.

Unfortunately for Wiggins, what he said he wanted and what his lab figures may have said, combined with his form on the bike in the races he did manage to ride, meant that the decision to go with Froome was easy in the end.

LugHugger said:
Wiggins did admit that he had difficulty with motivation post Tour and Olympics though. To compound that he rode into a car at 30mph in the first couple of weeks back in training and disadvantaged himself during a key phase of preparation.

Unfortunately for Wiggins, what he said he wanted and what his lab figures may have said, combined with his form on the bike in the races he did manage to ride, meant that the decision to go with Froome was easy in the end.

And to add to this: Wiggins knows how to use the media to stir things up. It wouldn't surprise me if he had mentioned a giro/tour double simply to rough up the waters. I'm sure he sensed early on that he wasn't going to be doing the Tour. Just like he "sensed" it this year.

Jspear said:
And to add to this: Wiggins knows how to use the media to stir things up. It wouldn't surprise me if he had mentioned a giro/tour double simply to rough up the waters. I'm sure he sensed early on that he wasn't going to be doing the Tour. Just like he "sensed" it this year.

He then went into a deep depression about not being in the Tour.

Doesn't sound to me like the "masterplan" "trolling internet forums" that the more exciteable posters on here seem to interpret every single sky statement as.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jspear said:

And that's the irony isn't it? He'd been riding well this year, right up to the point that the team clearly told him - despite Brailsford's protestations otherwise - that he wasn't on the Tour shortlist. I'm a bit gutted that he's now seemingly focussing on the track. I'd love to see him trying to compete at Roubaix again.

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm starting to think that Wiggins downfall started in the moment when he accepted to ride that Giro.If he wouldn't accepted and pressed for a TDF place,with enough media pressure maybe his situation would be totally different today,even if at other team.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As this is my last day at home before the Tour, I just wanted to share what I have taken out of the poll.

1) 33% of ALL people voting classified themselves as (or were) Sky fans:-

- This is a huge proportion in my opinion given that this is an international forum.

2) Only 30% of Sky fans regarded the decision to leave out Wiggins as the right one.

Fair enough - it is always a tough decision to leave someone out as we have seen in other instances recently.

3) Of those total Sky fans - a massive 40% feel as though they have lost their passion for the team.

I think this is quite stunning and if I was chief at SKY this number would have me shaking in my boots.

However I suppose what is the most important thing for any Pro cycling team?

a) Keeping your best hope happy in order to win races

b) Keeping the fans happy by including popular cyclists

c) Keeping the sponsors happy by a mix of the above

I would think that c) would be the most important but as Team Sky IS the sponsor, maybe they are able to be more Draconian than most.

An interesting poll nonetheless and thanks to everyone who has participated.

Fight.The.Power said:
As this is my last day at home before the Tour, I just wanted to share what I have taken out of the poll.

1) 33% of ALL people voting classified themselves as (or were) Sky fans:-

- This is a huge proportion in my opinion given that this is an international forum.

2) Only 30% of Sky fans regarded the decision to leave out Wiggins as the right one.

Fair enough - it is always a tough decision to leave someone out as we have seen in other instances recently.

3) Of those total Sky fans - a massive 40% feel as though they have lost their passion for the team.

I think this is quite stunning and if I was chief at SKY this number would have me shaking in my boots.

However I suppose what is the most important thing for any Pro cycling team?

a) Keeping your best hope happy in order to win races

b) Keeping the fans happy by including popular cyclists

c) Keeping the sponsors happy by a mix of the above

I would think that c) would be the most important but as Team Sky IS the sponsor, maybe they are able to be more Draconian than most.

An interesting poll nonetheless and thanks to everyone who has participated.

Your poll essentially disqualified anyone who is neutral in their attitude to Sky from answering, so very little meaningful can be extrapolated from the results.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Armchair cyclist said:
Your poll essentially disqualified anyone who is neutral in their attitude to Sky from answering, so very little meaningful can be extrapolated from the results.

Maybe had there been a 'don't give a fcuk' option then this would reduce the % of people who are or were Sky fans. Fair enough.

But the main finding and reason of the poll was how many 'Sky fans' felt they disagreed with Sky or felt they could no longer support the Team.

I don't think 'neutral fans' had any bearing on this element of the poll whatsoever.

Thanks for your feedback.