• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggo debacle

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Have Team Sky lost your support after Wiggo Binned?

• I love my Team Sky 4EVA

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 10, 2011
Visit site
murali said:
Sky lost my respect the moment they decided not to let Wiggins defend yellow jersey in favor of dawg.

Pretty much this. Denying Wiggins the ability to defend his Tour de France title is almost unheard of in all of sport.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
It's how things go in sports, there is always someone skinnier who can push higher watts. This time it went really fast, but it's always how it goes anyways. Well, and sometimes it goes down more peacefully. But I guess Froome has his reasons to distrust Wigans, now he is top dawg, he gets to make the calls...

willbick said:
The fact is Froome and wiggins dont get on. At all. 3 weeks in the same bus, same team, same hotel would inevitably be a disaster. Furthermore the press would be over them constantly like a rash looking for any froome/wiggo disharmony stories, constantly, for the whole tour. Nightmare.

And finally, Wiggo is simply not a natural domestique.

I agree

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Expected this, so really doesn't effect my view of them in any way. It's pretty obvious the dawg has taken over the reigns and is calling the shots now.

And after Wiggins failure of a 2013 season, I don't think Sky put much faith in him to ever repeat the performances of 2012 again. And even if he could get back to that level, he's sure as hell not going to repeat those performances in any GT other then the Tour. Which now belongs solely to the dawg.

I am pretty sure I posted a comment in this thread earlier today, have there been post deletions??

And if so Why?

Sky as a brand are detestable. Wiggins should have stayed with Garmin. He is a berk but his achievements on a bike will always be up there for me.
Froome is a duplicitous cheat in my book.Wiggins always had talent....Froome acquired his suddenly. I'm quite surprised to find myself feeling even more antagonistic towards SKY than I did before....but that's the way it is.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
armchairclimber said:
Sky as a brand are detestable. Wiggins should have stayed with Garmin. He is a berk but his achievements on a bike will always be up there for me.
Froome is a duplicitous cheat in my book.Wiggins always had talent....Froome acquired his suddenly. I'm quite surprised to find myself feeling even more antagonistic towards SKY than I did before....but that's the way it is.

While Wiggins transformation wasn't as absurd and insulting as Froome's which is probably unique in all of sports, it is an eye brow raising one as well. If you think Froome is a cheat, and you should, you should not be be willing to completely swallow Wiggins evolution as a road rider.

SeriousSam said:
While Wiggins transformation wasn't as absurd and insulting as Froome's which is probably unique in all of sports, it is an eye brow raising one as well. If you think Froome is a cheat, and you should, you should not be be willing to completely swallow Wiggins evolution as a road rider.

I wouldn't worry about the lunatics too busy reading the guardian to offer a sensible opinion of anything within 5 degrees of separation of Rupert Murdoch.

Anyway. Wiggins has always been a selfish rider, unable to offer much for the team for very long. But he deserves a glory ride and it's sad he doesn't get it.

SeriousSam said:

1 take it to the clinic

2 what exactly is hard to swallow about a brilliant time trialler (wiggins) winning the tour by basically riding it as a 3000k time trial? you might not like it as a cycling purist but you seem to suggest it is somehow dodgy which is ridiculous. the fact is wiggins HASN'T 'evolved' as a road racer - he just does what he's always done, basically ride every race as if its a TT.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
I wouldn't worry about the lunatics too busy reading the guardian to offer a sensible opinion of anything within 5 degrees of separation of Rupert Murdoch.
I can't quite figure out why I'm supposed to be offended but as a Guardian reader, I kind of am despite not really seeing how what I've posted relates to your comment. Well done!

willbick, sorry. I thought this thread was in the clinic based on you calling Froome a cheat but I realise now you meant something else.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
If you support team sky, you will support the decision to omit Wiggins from their TdF team. Best interests of Froome = best interests of Sky.

And where is the option in that list to say "not a fan but still think it is the right decision for Sky"?

darwin553 said:
If you support team sky, you will support the decision to omit Wiggins from their TdF team. Best interests of Froome = best interests of Sky.

And where is the option in that list to say "not a fan but still think it is the right decision for Sky"?

I'm sure there are people here who support/like Sky and still do not like the decision to omit Wiggins. You say "best interests of Froome," I say it is just the wants of Froome. Sky's lost not bringing Wiggo on board.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
murali said:
Sky lost my respect the moment they decided not to let Wiggins defend yellow jersey in favor of dawg.

Agree. Someone who has won, still has form, isn't injured and hasn't ever seriously raced against the guy you put in his place, would seem like a good bet.

Always wondered about that decision.:confused:

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Carols said:
I've always disliked Sky but this is a real kick in the teeth to a former Tour winner who is on form. The reasons behind the decision are understandable; team cohesion and peace, but Still. Leaving out a winner from 2 years ago, the first Briton to win the Tour, when the Tour starts on home soil is pretty base IMO. Makes me dislike Sky even more!

any different to BMC?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Lupi33 said:
any different to BMC?

Not really the same case. Evans and Tejay don't have anything against each other like Froome and Wiggins do. And Evans made the conscience choice to target the Giro this year. He was given Tour leadership last year and has now willingly passed the torch to Tejay.

Afrank said:
Not really the same case. Evans and Tejay don't have anything against each other like Froome and Wiggins do. And Evans made the conscience choice to target the Giro this year. He was given Tour leadership last year and has now willingly passed the torch to Tejay.

I don't think it was too willingly from some of his statements. Let's just say they talked him around and convinced him it would be a good idea.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
movingtarget said:
I don't think it was too willingly from some of his statements. Let's just say they talked him around and convinced him it would be a good idea.

let us put it this way: BMC managed their riders better than Sky. in terms of classics, OPQS managed their riders better.
FS, i dont like the way the team Sky is managed.

If wiggo is going to focus entirely on tracks, then he should have been given a respectable exit.

willbick said:
1 take it to the clinic

2 what exactly is hard to swallow about a brilliant time trialler (wiggins) winning the tour by basically riding it as a 3000k time trial? you might not like it as a cycling purist but you seem to suggest it is somehow dodgy which is ridiculous. the fact is wiggins HASN'T 'evolved' as a road racer - he just does what he's always done, basically ride every race as if its a TT.
Why did you tell him to take it to the clinic then push the clinic discussion in this thread even further:confused:

murali said:

Lol you guys are hilarious. Dont let the facts get in the way of a good Sky rant! Wiggins made his own decision not to ride the Tour in 2013 coz he couldnt be arsed to go through the intense training regime again.