• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Bradley Wiggins ever finish in the top 5 of a Grand Tour again?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think Wiggo can stand on the podium in the coming years - if he stays with Garmin - they seem to have helped him a lot reading his own comments. Also, I think he's got the right 'headspace' for it (unlike Evans).

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't think he will at the tdf but at other GT's maybe. You have guys like Nibali, Kreuziger, Van den Broeck rising up in this sport and guys like Sastre, Menchov and Evans who will most likely be back at the top of the sport again. If he was a stronger long time trialist i would say maybe but the Annecy TT proved that he isn't even when he was fighting for a podium spot.

auscyclefan94 said:
I don't think he will. You have guys like Nibali, Kreuziger, Van den Broeck rising up in this sport and guys like Sastre, Menchov and Evans who will most likely be back at the top of the sport again. If he was a stronger long time trialist i would say maybe but the Annecy TT proved that he isn't even when he was fighting for a podium spot.

I think his TTing is as good as anyone's, I think he suffered from nearly three weeks of racing. If he improves his potential to ride well for three weeks then he could well get a top 5 again given a favourable route. Look at the Monaco results: beaten by Spartacus and Bertie the best timetrialer in the world and the best stage racer in the world.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
uphillstruggle said:
I think his TTing is as good as anyone's, I think he suffered from nearly three weeks of racing. If he improves his potential to ride well for three weeks then he could well get a top 5 again given a favourable route. Look at the Monaco results: beaten by Spartacus and Bertie the best timetrialer in the world and the best stage racer in the world.

Compare a 15km tt with a tt that is 3 to 4 times long. Totally different time trial.

auscyclefan94 said:
Compare a 15km tt with a tt that is 3 to 4 times long. Totally different time trial.

Agreed but the Annecy TT was more suited to wiggins than the Monaco one. wiggins should have done better really - he either messed up his pacing, was tired after three weeks racing or losing the weight has affected his power in the TT's. Cadel lost a 1.14 on that course and It should have suited him too.

I think cadel, cancellara and Wiggins would have beaten AC if the Annecy TT was on the opening day.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
I have a hard time seeing him do it again. Reminded me a lot of Vande Velde at last years tour.

...and Vande Velde finished 8th this year after a bad crash at the GIRO.....so top 15 again you must mean yes.

Clemson Cycling said:
I guess if Contador lands at Garmin that might change the plans a bit

I suspect his biological passport looks dodgy.

You should have seen Dave Brailsford's face when asked if he'd like to get Contador in the new British "Sky" team.

A short pause where he looked the interviewer square in the eye, and a very purposefully neutral "no".

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Animal said:
I suspect his biological passport looks dodgy.

Don't think so--not yet, at least. Brailsford simult. praises Wiggo while expressing grave doubts about some other riders' biopassports. He really tried to recruit Bradley for Sky, but latter opted to stay at Garmin.

See: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jul/27/tour-de-france-team-sky-wiggins-cavendish

Wiggins/Garmin's blood values were supposed to have been posted by UCI, at former's request, on Monday. Will have to try to find them.

But puzzled why Garmin would consider Conti. Some people have wondered about Garmin, admittedly.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
As a member of the Argyle Armada, I'd love to see Contador on Garmin. However, it won't happen. I think he'll sign with Caisse D'Epargne.

Wiggo had a great tour, and hung in with the best climbers until the very end. I don't see why he couldn't have another top 5. He could end up on the podium if Garmin went after a pure climber. If they had someone who could help out in the big climbs without thinking of his overall standing, watch out. When Barloworld "folded" I was praying that Soler would end up at Garmin, but at the time it was for VDV.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
I don't think he will at the tdf but at other GT's maybe. You have guys like Nibali, Kreuziger, Van den Broeck rising up in this sport and guys like Sastre, Menchov and Evans who will most likely be back at the top of the sport again. If he was a stronger long time trialist i would say maybe but the Annecy TT proved that he isn't even when he was fighting for a podium spot.

I would suggest he has a better shot than Asschin.

I also don't get this negativity about Wiggins and Vande Velde. Wiggins has a lot of potential and I wouldn't be suprised to see him ride this well again.

and Vande Velde just finished in the Top 10 for the second straight year, despite the fact that his training was completely thrown off by his injury and he also rode for his teammate. While he was finishing the Tour in 8th place despite his setbacks- Sastre, Menchov, and Evans were all falling apart. Sastre at least finished in the top 20, while Evans and Menchov weren't just disappointments, but disasters.

I don't think either Wiggins or Vande Velde can realistically beat Andy Schleck or Contador, but whose to say that can't be Top 5 riders next year? Kreuziger hasn't done anything to show that he's more than a Top 10 rider. Nibali showed that he was a strong rider, but so had Cunego and Popovych when they were young.

A

Anonymous

perico said:
I also don't get this negativity about Wiggins and Vande Velde. Wiggins has a lot of potential and I wouldn't be suprised to see him ride this well again.

and Vande Velde just finished in the Top 10 for the second straight year, despite the fact that his training was completely thrown off by his injury and he also rode for his teammate. While he was finishing the Tour in 8th place despite his setbacks- Sastre, Menchov, and Evans were all falling apart. Sastre at least finished in the top 20, while Evans and Menchov weren't just disappointments, but disasters.

I don't think either Wiggins or Vande Velde can realistically beat Andy Schleck or Contador, but whose to say that can't be Top 5 riders next year? Kreuziger hasn't done anything to show that he's more than a Top 10 rider. Nibali showed that he was a strong rider, but so had Cunego and Popovych when they were young.

Another thing to consider when you talk about VDV is that everyone was just so complimentary of Lance for doing so well after having suffered a broken collarbone and finishing 3rd. The injury was on March 23rd. VDV injured his lower back and hairline fractured his pelvis in the Giro and placed 8th at the Tour and many of you are acting like that isn't even more amazing.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I going for wiggins to get 3rd next year(in the tdf), only schleck and contador ahead of him.... if they dont get caught doing sometihng they shoudn´t.

Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
No chance he'll podium at the tour - he lost a handful of minutes on what little climbing we had. You could double that deficit by actually having some pyrenees next time with mutiple cat 1's.

Menchov and Sastre had really bad tours. And say what you like about Evans but he has come second in 2 tours by less than a minute. 2 of the top 10 all time smallest losing margins were those of Evans. One tour does not make those 3 guys useless and Wiggo suddenly above them.

He cannot get a better watts/kg he's 29 and apparently so underweight he will have to put a bit back on now. We've witnessed his peak that's it - I am a Brit for whatever that's worth just not delusional.

Bagster

BANNED
Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
I have a hard time seeing him do it again. Reminded me a lot of Vande Velde at last years tour.

Not a great analogy given VdV's disrupted training this year due to injury.

Personally I think Wiggo will be even better next year and will have improved his climbing even more.

TRENDING THREADS