• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wiggo Poll

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Bradley Wiggins ever finish in the top 5 of a Grand Tour again?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Animal said:
I suspect his biological passport looks dodgy.

You should have seen Dave Brailsford's face when asked if he'd like to get Contador in the new British "Sky" team.

A short pause where he looked the interviewer square in the eye, and a very purposefully neutral "no".

Garmin was ready to sign him if Astana failed, which means that his numbers must look fine. Or Garmin is willing to look the other way to bring him on board. Either way, I think it is a non-issue.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
i would bet my house on it that cadel will beat wiggins at any other grand tour in the future.

If I lived in Australia, I would take you up on that. I am trying to remember, how may world championships does Cadel have? Wiggins has far more actual talent.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
If I lived in Australia, I would take you up on that. I am trying to remember, how may world championships does Cadel have? Wiggins has far more actual talent.

Cadel won the world champs in mtb and the world cup series. You can't say that wiggins has far more actual talent as on the track a lot of the top riders in the sport focus on road and then go over to track just for the olympics. They hand out those world championship jersies like hotcakes in the track.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
Cadel won the world champs in mtb and the world cup series. You can't say that wiggins has far more actual talent as on the track a lot of the top riders in the sport focus on road and then go over to track just for the olympics. They hand out those world championship jersies like hotcakes in the track.

Really, what year? (and of course I mean as a professional)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Really, what year? (and of course I mean as a professional)

1995 junior world mtb championships
1997 -1999 silver at world mtb championships
1995 bronze at junior world road time tria champion
1st x 2 in 1998 & 1999 world cup mtb championships

He didn't win a world championship as a pro but has won as a junior, under 23 and has come very close to becoming a world champioship. Also winning the world cup series 2 years in a row is no mean feat.
I tell you it is a lot easier to win a world champs on the track than to win on the road or mtb. Like i said at the track world champs they hand out the rainbow jersies out like hotcakes at mcdonalds.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
1995 junior world mtb championships
1997 -1999 silver at world mtb championships
1995 bronze at junior world road time tria champion
1st x 2 in 1998 & 1999 world cup mtb championships

He didn't win a world championship as a pro but has won as a junior, under 23 and has come very close to becoming a world champioship. Also winning the world cup series 2 years in a row is no mean feat.
I tell you it is a lot easier to win a world champs on the track than to win on the road or mtb. Like i said at the track world champs they hand out the rainbow jersies out like hotcakes at mcdonalds.

So it takes more to win a Jr World Mountain Bike Championship than it does to win one on the track as a professional? Well, that is one opinion.

See, I don't know if you realize this, but there are a lot of champions because there are a lot of events.

Fact is that Wiggins is more talented, and will go on to prove that in the next few years.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
So it takes more to win a Jr World Mountain Bike Championship than it does to win one on the track as a professional? Well, that is one opinion.

See, I don't know if you realize this, but there are a lot of champions because there are a lot of events.

Fact is that Wiggins is more talented, and will go on to prove that in the next few years.

I am saying it is a harder to win a world championship in the senior ranks as a mtb rider or a rider. People who don't even medal in the olympics have world championships. It says alot of how much a track world championship means to a road or mtb championship as it is way harder. We'll see if can prove he is better but really will Wiggins win a tdf like Cadel should twice already with a bit more support and a little bad luck with crashes.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
I am saying it is a harder to win a world championship in the senior ranks as a mtb rider or a rider. People who don't even medal in the olympics have world championships. It says alot of how much a track world championship means to a road or mtb championship as it is way harder. We'll see if can prove he is better but really will Wiggins win a tdf like Cadel should twice already with a bit more support and a little bad luck with crashes.

good job brads got both then isnt it.. ;) in abunandance.. ive lost count of how many medals he actually has

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
i would bet my house on it that cadel will beat wiggins at any other grand tour in the future.

brave? or stupid?

when cadel finishes in front of brad at the giro dont go getting excited.. its a training tour for brad.. ;)

I personally, and this isnt being anti-cadel for the sake of it, but i personally dont think he will podium at the tour ever again..

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:

Thats the thing with Cadel, he is always almost winning. Its kind of his thing. Wiggins has actually won things. Cadel is on the down slope. Wiggins appears to just be getting started. That and he doesn't protect his stuffed animals like a 12 year old girl.

A

Anonymous

Brad Wiggins
Olympic Medals
3 gold, 1 silver, 2 bronze
World Championships
Junior Pursuit 1997
4km Individual Pursuit 2003
4km Individual Pursuit 2007
Team Pursuit 2007
4km Individual Pursuit 2008
Team Pursuit (World Record Time) 2008
Men's Madison 2008

Road record...
2008 - No wins (olympic and worlds that year)
2007 - 4 wins
2006 - No wins
2005 - 2 wins
Already in 2009, with no track to concentrate on
3 wins, 71st in the giro, 4th in the tour...

Cadel
2009 - 2 wins
2008 - 2 Wins
2007 - 2 Wins
2006 - Won the tour of romandie
2005 - No wins
2004 - Won the tour of austria

I think if brad concentrates solely on the road its pretty obvious he kicks cadels ****..

(i hadnt actually realised that cadel had actually won so little)

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Wiggins has one non time trial win and hasn't ever finished in the top 3 in a multistage race and only has one top 10 finish in any multistage race. I also only count two individual wins on the year for Wiggins neither of which is as impressive as Evans victories(Stage 3b ITT, Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde and the Beaumont Trophy (what ever the heck that may be)). Heck Wiggins hasn't even had as impressive a year as Lance Armstrong and everyone is talking of him as the savior of British cycling?

A

Anonymous

talking of wiggo.. just found this pick on velonews..

That flag my freinds.. IS OURS :D him and dave got one from us at the top of the champs.. :D

WigginsparadeTDF21_709-093.jpg

A

Anonymous

dimspace said:
talking of wiggo.. just found this pick on velonews..

That flag my freinds.. IS OURS :D him and dave got one from us at the top of the champs.. :D

Nice flag, but brotha' needs a cheese burger.

Seriously though, that is cool to have given him that. I am a card carrying Wiggins fan now. The guy seems honest and dedicated from the interviews I have seen and read, and I hope he continues to progress.

A

Anonymous

Thoughtforfood said:
Nice flag, but brotha' needs a cheese burger.

Seriously though, that is cool to have given him that. I am a card carrying Wiggins fan now. The guy seems honest and dedicated from the interviews I have seen and read, and I hope he continues to progress.

he was tops.. saw our flags and headed over to ***** beers and took one of jays union jacks, then dave millar headed over and asked for one which he fixed to his bike (with a generously supplied cable tie)...

That for us is what paris is about.. supporting them and letting them know that fans are behind them.. must be an amazing feeling to cycle through paris and know people have paid there hard earned money to be there supporting you..

wife currently has major grinnage going on.. :D

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
Wiggins has one non time trial win and hasn't ever finished in the top 3 in a multistage race and only has one top 10 finish in any multistage race. I also only count two individual wins on the year for Wiggins neither of which is as impressive as Evans victories(Stage 3b ITT, Driedaagse De Panne-Koksijde and the Beaumont Trophy (what ever the heck that may be)). Heck Wiggins hasn't even had as impressive a year as Lance Armstrong and everyone is talking of him as the savior of British cycling?

+1
Someone else needs to shut these stupid poms up;). cadels wins on the road are far more significant bike races than wiggo's wins. Look at some of the events cadel has come 2nd and 3rd in. major races. you don't have to win every bike race to be a great cyclist. he is always consistent and that is why he has earned being one of the best stage racers in the world. Wiggo has road 1 high gc placing at the tour de france. Lets see if he can do it again:rolleyes:. Evans has proved multiple times he can ride high in gc.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Wiggins had a good tour and did himself proud, I think that with luck he can repeat that performance in the future. How did Evans get into this thread?

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
+1
Someone else needs to shut these stupid poms up;). cadels wins on the road are far more significant bike races than wiggo's wins. Look at some of the events cadel has come 2nd and 3rd in. major races. you don't have to win every bike race to be a great cyclist. he is always consistent and that is why he has earned being one of the best stage racers in the world. Wiggo has road 1 high gc placing at the tour de france. Lets see if he can do it again:rolleyes:. Evans has proved multiple times he can ride high in gc.

I repeat

Evans Results
2009 - 2 wins
2008 - 2 Wins
2007 - 2 Wins
2005 - No wins

Brads Results
Multiple olympic champion, multiple world champion and 8 wins on the road since 2003, i make that 8 v 8...

ok.. so we could discount the beaumont trophy, which fyi if a road race he used as part of his training for the tour, high quality domestic field including british champion christian house, british crit champion dean downing, russel downing and the halfords guys ed clancy etc.. brad led the attack with 5 of britains best riders and then just time trialled them all of his wheel one by one.. may not sound much but after that race, i came on here and said (pre tour) "Brad looks to be in the form of his life.." i was right.. ;)

Cadels consistency.. the only thing he does consistently is come close and close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.. would cadel swap some of his seconds for olympic medals or world championships? damn right he would..

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
I repeat

Evans Results
2009 - 2 wins
2008 - 2 Wins
2007 - 2 Wins
2005 - No wins

Brads Results
Multiple olympic champion, multiple world champion and 8 wins on the road since 2003, i make that 8 v 8...

ok.. so we could discount the beaumont trophy, which fyi if a road race he used as part of his training for the tour, high quality domestic field including british champion christian house, british crit champion dean downing, russel downing and the halfords guys ed clancy etc.. brad led the attack with 5 of britains best riders and then just time trialled them all of his wheel one by one.. may not sound much but after that race, i came on here and said (pre tour) "Brad looks to be in the form of his life.." i was right.. ;)

Cadels consistency.. the only thing he does consistently is come close and close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.. would cadel swap some of his seconds for olympic medals or world championships? damn right he would..

lol i cant stand evans, but are you really comparing Brad wiggins (On road, excluding track) to cadel evans... that is a tad ignorant.
fair to say evans victories are a little more impressive, and outside wins he has had some great results (2nd places in: La Flèche Wallonne, Tour (x2) Dauphiné Libéré (x3) - - - 4th in the vuelta and tour ;), and other good results in big races.)

Wiggins is a long way off evans at the moment (again Track excluded)

A

Anonymous

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Wiggins is a long way off evans at the moment (again Track excluded)

no im not,. but the daft aussies want to hail cadel as the worlds greatest cyclist when really he has won absolutely jack, and makes finishing second, third and fourth his speciality.. (you really cant count 2nd 3rds and 4th as wins.. its ridiculous)

They seem keen to point out that being a track world champion is pointless.. when it aint..

Brad has been world champion FACT, brad has been olympic champion FACT, and if you discount the old man and a doper he finished 2nd this tour.. :D

whats cadel doing in this thread anyway...

(oh and the wife says he has a chin like a bum)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
track glory isn't pointless, something to be very proud of. But we are talking road here.

And im not counting evans 2nd, 3rd and 4th places as wins, BUT they are also something to be proud of, give the man some credit, he has had some great results. And on a whole (ON ROAD) has a far better resume then Wiggins. if all of evans plaves mean jack, then wiggins first decent performance at this years tour also means jack.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
track glory isn't pointless, something to be very proud of. But we are talking road here.

And im not counting evans 2nd, 3rd and 4th places as wins, BUT they are also something to be proud of, give the man some credit, he has had some great results. And on a whole (ON ROAD) has a far better resume then Wiggins. if all of evans plaves mean jack, then wiggins first decent performance at this years tour also means jack.
+1
I'LL REPEAT:
It is a lot easier to win a world championship on track than on road or mtb.Even if he hasn't won as many races he has always been 2nd, 3rd,4th in the big races. Cadel may find that annoying that he has always been close but his record and consistency is excellent. He has lacked a little bit of luck in those races were he has come 2nd, 3rd, 4th. you may not like him but you can't deny that he is a great bike rider always there with the best.

TRENDING THREADS