• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Carlos Sastre retire?

Will Carlos Sastre retire at the end of the season?

• Vino!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 6, 2009
Visit site
Having seen how he has been riding this year, and after the Giro of 2009, I'm to question his motivation, and has been rather anonymous at the both the Giro and the Tour. He's also meant to do the Vuelta as well, it would be a perfect way for him to go out IMO.

Ferminal said:
I hope so, he has nothing left to give.
Disagree. He's one of the few who's always giving, no matter the circumstances. Obviously his best days have passed but he still tries to make things interesting. He's a superb professional, too. An example for all other riders.

As to whether or not he should retire, that depends. If he wants to go on even knowing he won't be at the top level, all is well.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if he will retire or not, but I do know I admire him for being outspoken about racing.

He continued his attack when his countryman was on the ground. He didn't care who agreed or disagreed with him, but stated something to the extent of, "A racer races". Good for him.

I think he might try one more year. He had some health issues this year. He says he loves riding the Tour but maybe he will try the Giro - Vuelta next year ? He has had some lean times since he won the Tour in 2008 although he did well in the 2009 Giro. He always has something interesting to say. He is good for the sport.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
movingtarget said:
I think he might try one more year. He had some health issues this year. He says he loves riding the Tour but maybe he will try the Giro - Vuelta next year ? He has had some lean times since he won the Tour in 2008 although he did well in the 2009 Giro. He always has something interesting to say. He is good for the sport.

+1
He will not retire yet - there are no problems with his motivation. But I don't see him winning anything big in the coming seasons either.
I think he will be asked to stay by his team management not only to race GTs, but to help breed the new generation of GT contenders for Cervelo, and to help them win

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
will he retire? I don't know, but i don't think he will be a top ten GC rider anymore. maybe he can try to win a mountain stage here and there by going on a breakaway.