• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Contador be on Bruyneel's team next year?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Contador be on Bruyneel's team next year?

• NO, Contador will NOT be on Bruyneel's team next year.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What about Katusha? They lost there GC man earlier in the season (Colom) but they still have Karpets (Top 20 material IMO) and they have a massive arse budget. (18million euros or 32.1m AUD) compared to Garmin (7million euros or 12.5m AUD) which is about the same as most french teams (Cofidis, Bbox, FDJ all around 7m, also same as Cervelo and Caisse). Just a thought.

Edit: Ok just thought id add team budgets. Taken from Ride Magazine "Offical TDF guide" Make of them what you will. Just thought it might give you perpective on the financial situation of all of the teams

Astana $12m Euro or 21.4m AUD
AG2R 7.3 or 13
Agritubel 3.7 or 6.7
Bbox 6.5 or 11.6
Caisse 7.0 or 12.5
Cervelo 8.0 or 14.3
Cofidis 8.0 or 14.3
Columbia 15 or 26.8
Euskatel 6.0 or 10.7
FDJ 6.0 or 10.7
Garmin 7.0 or 12.5
Katusha 18 or 32.1
Lampre 6.0 or 10.7
Liquigas 6.0 or 10.7
Milram 7.0 or 12.5
Quickstep 9.0 or 16.0
Rabobank 10 or 17.8
Saxo 7.0 or 12.5
Silence 6.0 or 10.7
Skil 3.0 or 7.1
Fuji -

So Caisse, Euskatel and Garmin all have similar budgets but all also have GC men. Caisse may not if Valverde goes tho. Astana if it survives and LA + JB go, will also have to fork out for Vino and Kash when they come back.

I'm surprised nobody has picked up on this. It's been running, elsewhere, since the rest day.
Apparently, on yesterday’s rest day, former pro riders Rominger and Lombardi met with Bruyneel and Armstrong at the Astana hotel, Hotel Elite (what else!) It’s rumoured the meeting had to do with the formation of a new LA team with a sponsor called Oracle.

Oracle are a Californian software company, owned by reputedly the 4th richest man in the world, Lawrence Ellison. Ellison also has a foundation to support those with cancer, so there’s a common theme between the main men involved.

In order to be part of the discussions, LA cancelled attending a UCI function at nearby Aigle, something he’d previously agreed on paper with the UCI to do. Contador was also supposed to attend to the function at Aigle, but also didn’t.

Didn't Oracle bail on Discovery?

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Jb's new team won't have a problem getting a ProTour licence - there are two available from the demise of Credit Agricole & Gerolsteiner.

Actually there is only one available as garmin didn't have one in 2008 and now do in 2009. Also you forgot Saunier Duval out and Katusha in. 18 pro tour spots in total, presumably cervelo or sky might want a pro tour spot as well?

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Bumeington said:
Actually there is only one available as garmin didn't have one in 2008 and now do in 2009. Also you forgot Saunier Duval out and Katusha in. 18 pro tour spots in total, presumably cervelo or sky might want a pro tour spot as well?

Nope I didn't forget - there are 18 teams out of a possible 20. SD are now Fuji. Katusha and Garmin in this year but over the last 2 years Credit A, Gerolsteiner, UniBet & Disco are gone.

Cervelo will probably go for one licence but JB has connections in the UCI so as I said it wont be a problem.

A

Anonymous

I'd think that Amgen would be a good fit, sponsor wise, for LA's team...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
colwildcat said:
No chance, he clearly feels betrayed at how this year went.

betrayed? are you assuming that based what has been written in the media?

AC's sole goal for this year was to win the TdF - and that looks 99% in the bag.

would he be in this position without JB? i doubt it. his attack on st17 and the dropping of Klodi shows he still has a bit to learn. it may not have cost him time but that could also be because he has had to do very little work this TdF whilst riding the astana train.

i wouldn't leave a team that has likely delivered 2/2 victories.

A

Anonymous

JB and Lance won't even attend the Tour after party for Contador...and I would be surprised to see Kloden there after today...

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Titaniumtim said:
He is going to have one heck of a price tag on him after Sunday. I think he will go with the Alonso team if it materializes or a Spanish team. I also think he would go to Caisse d'Epargne or Euskaltel - Euskadi for less money to ride for a Spanish team. I don't think he will stay at Astana if he can leave. With Vino back they may not get an invite to the Tour next year. I imagine JBs team will be an option but not the first and with conditions of defined leadership.

I'll take a big punt and go for Contador joining the Cervelo Test Team (with new sponsors).
This punt is triggered by the Alonso connection who I belive has spent time with CTT - so I am riding off the back of this post.

And I think it would be an excellent fit if Satsre and the back bone of this team stays.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
AC wont win next year.. without a Team and 4sure Live$trong will pay the best riders to ensure AC doesnt win..

LA now knows he needs to focus on punch climbing.. dont think for 1 sec hes not willing to pay top coin for a top domestique

May 26, 2009
Visit site
he_man said:
AC wont win next year.. without a Team and 4sure Live$trong will pay the best riders to ensure AC doesnt win..

LA now knows he needs to focus on punch climbing.. dont think for 1 sec hes not willing to pay top coin for a top domestique

Well Armstrong probably is the only rider capable of getting such cash flow to the team as to acquire one or two top-of-the-line domestiques. And I mean riders who by themselves would be capable of winning the Tour.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
RdBiker said:
Well Armstrong probably is the only rider capable of getting such cash flow to the team as to acquire one or two top-of-the-line domestiques. And I mean riders who by themselves would be capable of winning the Tour.

Levi will be one, for sure. He'll come up with a couple more, too. VdV maybe? Would he leave JV to ride with Lance and Bruyneel again? Evans? Landis? When is he eligible to come back?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Not after today. The kid is the best rider in the Pro Peloton, but his fragile ego gets in the way of his talent. Bruyneel likes, and does wonders with, smart riders, but not hot heads.

If he wasnt so good, he would be Cadle Evans...:rolleyes: