• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Contador be on Bruyneel's team next year?

Will Contador be on Bruyneel's team next year?

• NO, Contador will NOT be on Bruyneel's team next year.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Not only would he probably not want to be on the Hogs team, it might not even be possible if his contract with Astana extends through 2010. My bet - Contador goes to Caisse, LA and the Hog go to Nike/Livestrong...

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cobber said:
Not only would he probably not want to be on the Hogs team, it might not even be possible if his contract with Astana extends through 2010. My bet - Contador goes to Caisse, LA and the Hog go to Nike/Livestrong...

Astana dont have his contract - JB's company does and yes -you are correct - it is valid until the end of 2010. But I expect him to request a release for him and his loyal domestiques.
Also LA will want a team built around him as the sole leader for next years Tour.
Yes - I expect one of the Spanish teams to go allout to get him, Caisse or perhaps a new team.

A

Anonymous

Dr. Maserati said:
Astana dont have his contract - JB's company does and yes -you are correct - it is valid until the end of 2010. But I expect him to request a release for him and his loyal domestiques.
Also LA will want a team built around him as the sole leader for next years Tour.
Yes - I expect one of the Spanish teams to go allout to get him, Caisse or perhaps a new team.

Yep, because he wants to ride against Contador next year to prove he still has what it takes to win. It should be an interesting year.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yep, because he wants to ride against Contador next year to prove he still has what it takes to win. It should be an interesting year.

Let's just hope the organisers don't drop the ball with the course design next year!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

Yea but, word is Garmin had him sewed up before the TDF (thinking Astana was gonna fail).

Garmin would be a great team for him though I'm not entirely convinced Vaughters is a DS worth writing home about. Some of his decisions seem a little dim.

If I'm Contador, I want the strongest team around me I can get. Just ask Cadel Evans.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Could Armstrong's mysterious new sponsor be the Spanish sponsor talking to Contador?

Remember, JB and AC have a successful relationship too, and success in this year's Tour will mostly strengthen that.

JB lives in Spain...

I gotta think it's Nike. Maybe Trek too?

What about Contador going to Columbia? Is there room for a GT contender to go with Cav? They really don't have one now.

Saxo would be unbeatable with Contador but the Schlecklet is sort of the ordained man there.

A

Anonymous

Ninety5rpm said:
Could Armstrong's mysterious new sponsor be the Spanish sponsor talking to Contador?

Remember, JB and AC have a successful relationship too, and success in this year's Tour will mostly strengthen that.

JB lives in Spain...

considering armstrong refers to the mysterious partner as "american" i think its unlikely..

contador will either be at the new astana, or much more likely santander.. but if hes still with JB i will eat the proverbial hat

richwagmn said:
Yea but, word is Garmin had him sewed up before the TDF (thinking Astana was gonna fail).

Garmin would be a great team for him though I'm not entirely convinced Vaughters is a DS worth writing home about. Some of his decisions seem a little dim.

If I'm Contador, I want the strongest team around me I can get. Just ask Cadel Evans.

If I were Contador and had to pick a new team right now, it would be Garmin. Gotta keep the TTT in mind (assuming Leipheimer and maybe even Klodi go with Armstrong). And Wiggins & Vande Velde would make KILLER domestiques in the mountains.

...I really hate the TTT. :mad:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Obviously Caisse but Euskadel as an outside option.

No way for Garmin. Wouldn't pass the medical scrutiny. Can't see Wiggins playing faithful lieutenant given his new found abilities.

richwagmn said:

Garmin might be an excellent team for him. Curious if they have the budget to pay for him.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Garmin might be an excellent team for him. Curious if they have the budget to pay for him.

I thought I'd heard Garmin being referred to as a "small" team, as in small budget. I hope Contador goes to a Spanish team.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
colwildcat said:
No chance, he clearly feels betrayed at how this year went.

Has his year to date gone all that badly?

He might have felt insecure after Armstrong came back, but he also might be reappraising the situation when he's waving the flowers about at the end of the Tour.

AC could & would be alongside with JB IF LA wasn't around--so he'll be looking for new offers or, as speculated, he would build his own team
but again: IF this new LA team is put together and AC sticks around for JB-Can he really trust him at all?- can they get the Pro-License?
AC could get it done easily with his possible new team if he wins the Tour and get the setup together Ala "cervelo" and not bother with the LA factor

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
AC could & would be alongside with JB IF LA wasn't around--so he'll be looking for new offers or, as speculated, he would build his own team
but again: IF this new LA team is put together and AC sticks around for JB-Can he really trust him at all?- can they get the Pro-License?
AC could get it done easily with his possible new team if he wins the Tour and get the setup together Ala "cervelo" and not bother with the LA factor

Is there any question whether Armstrong and Bruyneel would be able to get a PT license?

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
If I were Contador and had to pick a new team right now, it would be Garmin. Gotta keep the TTT in mind (assuming Leipheimer and maybe even Klodi go with Armstrong). And Wiggins & Vande Velde would make KILLER domestiques in the mountains.

...I really hate the TTT. :mad:

I would assume that Levi, Popo, and Horner would most likely follow Armstrong to Nike/Livestrong and that Paulinho and Zubeldia would follow Contador wherever he goes. Klodi was with Vino from the start with the Astana project in 06 (they came together from T-Mo). I assume he will stay with Vino on the new Astana next year.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
richwagmn said:

Garmin would be a good team but I think they were only able to afford him for this season (effectively the Tour) by bringing in a new sponsor.
I also think that it was a reaction to VDV not being 100% for the Tour.

Now with the transfer merry-go-round now in full swing the possibility of other teams joining the hunt will increase.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Jayarbie said:
Is there any question whether Armstrong and Bruyneel would be able to get a PT license?

Jb's new team won't have a problem getting a ProTour licence - there are two available from the demise of Credit Agricole & Gerolsteiner.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
He is going to have one heck of a price tag on him after Sunday. I think he will go with the Alonso team if it materializes or a Spanish team. I also think he would go to Caisse d'Epargne or Euskaltel - Euskadi for less money to ride for a Spanish team. I don't think he will stay at Astana if he can leave. With Vino back they may not get an invite to the Tour next year. I imagine JBs team will be an option but not the first and with conditions of defined leadership.

TRENDING THREADS