• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Gilbert be victorious at Cauberg once again?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
The course is well suited to him, it's looking like he has finally come into form, and he has a powerful team built around him. I think his chances of taking the rainbow jersey are looking very good at this point.

There are some other guys who I could see challenging him like Nibali, Gerrans, and the Spanish, but as long as Gilbert and Belgium don't let these guys get a big gap on him I think he should be able to beat them in the sprint. Valverde and Purito I think will be his biggest rivals but we'll see if having so many leaders become a disadvantage for Spain.

will10 said:
The Spanish Armada will defeat the Spanish Armada.

Probably.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
nah,alberto can do it
remember LBL with vino, remember olympics 2008?he can
only if he wins the worlds time trial otherwise he will attack a lot in the road race

2008 olympics because he couldn't win himself, he didn't have the legs and there was the ITT a few days later.

And Vino was pretty much the leader of astana, letting him ride there would give him some rest.

There are only 2 examples and there not even really legit. Shows you how he rides.

If he's WC ITT then maybe but even then when he has great legs he will only ride for himself. And i think he's one of the only guys who can drop Gilbert.

It's all up to Spain to make the race hard.

He's got a favourites chance but has the high pressure that goes with it.Tidy little sprint on him too as we know.Ballan seems to think he's a certainty.Sagan is a big danger though,Gilbert will need to rid himself of him before cresting the Cauberg the final time.

Pricey_sky said:
I agree with that, he needs to be clever. He can kick clear of Sagan on the final climb and then can also beat the likes of Purito in a sprint if they go with him.

Yeah definitely,if he goes onto the flat after the Cauberg with a decent gap on Sagan its his for the taking.Nobody would grudge him it after the year he has had plus he's got charisma and appreciates the fans.Would be a result most would be happy with.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Problem is, guys like Valverde and Purito will follow Gilbert's wheel on the final assault and then come around him on the final straight - big danger with Pity being lead out this way. Sagan will probably screw up by going too early and blowing up or waiting too long - not experienced enough.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
orangerider said:
Problem is, guys like Valverde and Purito will follow Gilbert's wheel on the final assault and then come around him on the final straight - big danger with Pity being lead out this way. Sagan will probably screw up by going too early and blowing up or waiting too long - not experienced enough.

That's why Gilbert needs to ride them off his wheel, unfortunately this isn't 2011 when he could easily do that.

A good tactic might be for Gilbert to have one of his teammates attack on the Cauberg, maybe Boonen or GVA if they are still there, Gilbert sits on their wheel and then attacks for the win. If the first guy can open up a good sized gap on the other contenders then once Gilbert goes he may have a big enough gap to stay away.

I doubt the 1.5 km after the Cauberg will make that much of a difference. Everyone will be cooked after the Cauberg anyway, and if you are the strongest there (even if it is only by 2-3 seconds) I think you might just stay away. Unless of course they get an insane organisation going in the background, but I do not see that happening.

Gilbert is still my favorite anyway, because he has a larger engine on the flat than any other favorite (besides Boonen who is not even a favorite in my opinion, and Sagan who I think is a little off-form).

TRENDING THREADS