• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Giro be on TV in USA?

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know? Last I checked it wasn't listed on the Versus schedule. I read on CN some time ago that NBC was rumored to be bidding on it. (And, no, I CAN'T watch it on CyclingTV, as I'm stuck with 26k dial-up.)

Mar 16, 2009
www.violetcrown.org
Similar threads were started several weeks ago asking the same question. One person said he'd spoken with Bob Roll at an event in early March, and Roll said Versus would not be broadcasting the race. Another poster mentioned a rumor that NBC was picking it up for US broadcast because of the Lance Factor...

If you're looking for TV coverage, I think the only hope at this point is NBC Universal, which is somewhere on satellite, like channel 191. So you need a dish. IF they pick it up. I think if Lance races in it, they will. NBC Universal also does high quality webcasting, for free, but it's a crapshoot as to what you're going to get.

On the web you have a few choices: Cycling.TV is high quality webcasting. But if you're on dial-up, you'll get a jumpy, postage stamp sized screen. CyclingFans, and Steephill.tv are two sites that try to cover the race for free.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
The irony of Armstrong racing is that his 2 million euro appearance fee has made the TV rights too expensive for Versus.

The online coverage is usually pretty good - I'm sure there'll be some links posted somewhere closer to May

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Want to watch the 2009 Giro Online for free and on TV? Call Direct TV and tell them you want to see Universal Sports! (1800-347-3288) For now, Universal Sports will offer live online and TV coverage of each of the 21 stages of the Giro from your local premium cable provider.

Don't know what channel we're on? Find out here...
http://www.universalsports.com/fls/23000/tv/where-to-find-on-tv.html

Visit UniversalSports.com for up to date scheduling information.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
slowpoke said:
(And, no, I CAN'T watch it on CyclingTV, as I'm stuck with 26k dial-up.)

Dude,
Do you reside in Africa? I was in the rainforest and had better than 26k. Pay some money and get a faster internet connection and then pay for coverage through cycling,tv you cheap Bas-tard

May 4, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Wattini said:
Dude,
Do you reside in Africa? I was in the rainforest and had better than 26k. Pay some money and get a faster internet connection and then pay for coverage through cycling,tv you cheap Bas-tard

Or, ya know, watch it on cable. Universal Sports RAWKS!!

Channel 250 here in the Denver metro on Comcast.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
UniSports said:
Want to watch the 2009 Giro Online for free and on TV? Call Direct TV and tell them you want to see Universal Sports! (1800-347-3288) For now, Universal Sports will offer live online and TV coverage of each of the 21 stages of the Giro from your local premium cable provider.

Don't know what channel we're on? Find out here...
http://www.universalsports.com/fls/23000/tv/where-to-find-on-tv.html

Visit UniversalSports.com for up to date scheduling information.

Universal Sports is rapidly becoming my favorite channel...even before they announced the Giro deal.

As their Exectuve produce said in a VN article - "we are an athlete's channel, not a couch potatoes' channel."

LOVE IT!! Huge props to Universal Sports...espcially since RAI International will not be carrying the Giro this year. First time in 11 years I have not watched the Giro just like the Italians do....:mad: