• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Horner Win The Vuelta 2013?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Horner Win The Vuelta 2013?

• Froome better be afraid, next year the tour!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
I think the competition is rather weak, I belivie Horner is climbing just little better than he did in last years tour where he and Pinot climbed at aproximatly the same level. Roche was a bit behind both now and then.

But Nibali is preparining for Worlds, and the spaniards are tired after the tour. So yes I think he can make it. But Nibali looked stronger than I thuoght, and Basso might still be a thret.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
btw seeing Horners success I've started training. I'm only 27 so by 2020 I should make my Tour debut and then finally win it in 2023. :cool:

A combination of Froome and Horner their story :D

Horner may keep the jersey through the ITT but there are still 6 mountain top finishes left. An amazing amount of hard racing.left. I don't see how he cannot crack in the last week. Although it is possible that every GC contender left has at least one bad day in those 6 stages. But I would expect that Nibali will get better that least week and Horner will fade.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I believe in fairy tale stories, miracles and second-chances; not exactly in the same order.

oc, i voted yes.

if not in podium, then basso wins.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I understand all the emotions about Horner but come on - this stage showed us Nibali is so much in control despite not being even close to 100% yet. Unless the "Basso is eating everyone on Angliru for dinner" comes true this Vuelta is Nibali's. Even if Horner doesn't fade which I think he will.

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
btw seeing Horners success I've started training. I'm only 27 so by 2020 I should make my Tour debut and then finally win it in 2023. :cool:

Let's be realistic. You could probably win the Vuelta by 2023, but to come from nowhere to win the TOUR in 2023 you'd need some sort of blood-borne disease. I hear bilharzia is nice...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
HCl+HN03 said:
I think the competition is rather weak, I belivie Horner is climbing just little better than he did in last years tour where he andopp on the finis Pinot climbed at aproximatly the same level. Roche was a bit behind both now and then.

But Nibali is preparining for Worlds, and the spaniards are tired after the tour. So yes I think he can make it. But Nibali looked stronger than I thuoght, and Basso might still be a thret.

Weak what, starting riders? Gotta disagree with you here. Weak legs maybe, but this race is stacked with a lot mountdon't goats that are gonna give it a dig. IMO, Nibs will look to be on the top step on the finishing day. He and all the others don't want to get beat by an "old man" who just happens to be telling the young pups, with his legs and heart, to " get the f*ck off my lawn(or mountain, if you like)It's a freaking GT! Ffs! Christ, I'd rather win a GT instead of using it for training for WC race. The stripes are a curse. Anyway....UP THE MIGHTY HORNER!! I really don't care for RS, but I like Chris. later.... Sorry for the poor grammar....

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Lord Stanley said:
I understand all the emotions about Horner but come on - this stage showed us Nibali is so much in control despite not being even close to 100% yet. Unless the "Basso is eating everyone on Angliru for dinner" comes true this Vuelta is Nibali's. Even if Horner doesn't fade which I think he will.

The problem with Nibali is that he sometimes leaves things to the end. He should never have allowed Horner a 40+sec lead in the final kms of the race.
By the end of next week, there going to be a lot of riders interested in consolidating the results, instead of going for the kill.

imho, horner will end up winning because the guys like nibali will try to leave things to the final week.
everyone is waiting for angliru to go for the final charge, as if the entire race is limited to one stage. Horner has nothing to lose, so he can put the effort before that stage, and look to just limit his losses there. If the RLT guys plan well, then they can easily take the vuelta away from others. Despite my reservations, i miss bruyneel, the DS.

murali said:
The problem with Nibali is that he sometimes leaves things to the end. He should never have allowed Horner a 40+sec lead in the final kms of the race.
By the end of next week, there going to be a lot of riders interested in consolidating the results, instead of going for the kill.

imho, horner will end up winning because the guys like nibali will try to leave things to the final week.
everyone is waiting for angliru to go for the final charge, as if the entire race is limited to one stage. Horner has nothing to lose, so he can put the effort before that stage, and look to just limit his losses there. If the RLT guys plan well, then they can easily take the vuelta away from others. Despite my reservations, i miss bruyneel, the DS.

Nibali was watching Valverde and Purito. When he attacked I'm sure he didn't expect that Horner could keep his pace until the finish. He is not waiting particularly for the final week, he's getting into shape as he knows better.

Lots of what's gonna happen in the final week depends on the ITT where I expect Horner to loose much of his 40 sec advantage. And before Angliru there are Collada de la Galina one especial and finish on first cat, Peyraguedes with four cat 1 climbs and Aramon Formigal finish 1 cat, but it's gonna be hell starting with Saturday. So no, I don't think Horner can win the Vuelta.

Horner (41, near 42) can only be touched by the old guard of Basso (35, near 36), Rodriguez (34) and Valverde (33). The twilight of your career really does seem to be the time to roll the dice, find the form of your life and get that last big paycheck / shot at glory.

I don't think Nibali will do anything away from his bike in the next fortnight to enable him to compete on a bike with the level Horner is at. Nibali was rocking from side to side of the effort of his burst in the final kms but still couldn't make the slightest inroad into Horner's serene ascent. But Basso, Valverde (and to a lesser extent Rodriguez) - sure. Leopards don't change their spots and Basso is fancying his chances

Like Nibali said "...the most important thing is I’ve got a good level. If we win, we win. If not, well what can we do about that?”. Nothing Vincenzo, it's up to the authorities to do something about it. Horner will be a fitting bookmark to the end of the McQuaid era.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I think the other contenders were all looking at each other on yesterdays climb, now that Grandad has posted his intent with deeds rather than words, Nibali and the Spanish inquisition will be all over him.

Besides he needs to be careful what he eats, the race has been won by the strongest stomach rather than the strongest legs on more than one occasion. :)

TRENDING THREADS