• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Horner Win The Vuelta 2013?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Will Horner Win The Vuelta 2013?

• Froome better be afraid, next year the tour!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
One point is fair: this is a rather weak field. When we see Nicholas Roche, Thibaut Pinot, Ivan Basso so upfront in the best mountains, you know that Nibali, Purito or Valverde are not that good.

I'm very curious for the next stages.

SantiBotero said:
One point is fair: this is a rather weak field. When we see Nicholas Roche, Thibaut Pinot, Ivan Basso so upfront in the best mountains, you know that Nibali, Purito or Valverde are not that good.

Pinot had shown the potential to be an elite climber last year so I wouldn't underrated his performance here and by association the same should be applied to the rest here.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
SantiBotero said:

Just looking at the names and the recent history of those names the field does look on the weaker sides. But the way the race has unfolded, the field doesn't strike me as being that weak. The favorites have been attacking each other, swapping the red jersey around, and just making each other work for it. So based on how the race has unfolded so far, I'd say the field is actually stronger then it looks on paper.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
SantiBotero said:

I agree to the point, but not the reason.

I dont think that the trio are in their peak form yet. All three are planning to peak for worlds.

Roche is te only surprise element. but according to his post. it seems that the others were not going full throttle till the end.

Pinot got caught up in the negative racing mentality of the spanish riders.

Jul 4, 2012
Visit site
*G*K*S* said:
Weak what, starting riders? Gotta disagree with you here. Weak legs maybe, but this race is stacked with a lot mountdon't goats that are gonna give it a dig. IMO, Nibs will look to be on the top step on the finishing day. He and all the others don't want to get beat by an "old man" who just happens to be telling the young pups, with his legs and heart, to " get the f*ck off my lawn(or mountain, if you like)It's a freaking GT! Ffs! Christ, I'd rather win a GT instead of using it for training for WC race. The stripes are a curse. Anyway....UP THE MIGHTY HORNER!! I really don't care for RS, but I like Chris. later.... Sorry for the poor grammar....

Well Nibali, Rodriquez and Valverde are all great riders, but for none of them are the Vuelta the highlight of the season. Roche, Pinot and Horner where fighting for 10th spot in what was called "the weakest tour in recent years" by fellow members on this forum.
I agre with that to certain extent. And even if I also bellive all three of them have improved slighty since last year, I am not convinced that this field isnt weak.

Last year the Vuelta where extremly weak behind top 3, Froome craced but managed 4th. And even Moreno and Gesink where fading in the third week but managed 5th and 6th without problem. This year is tougher so far, I belive. However, to win this race, I find its easier this year than last.
But the race is not over, and me might see a bi show in Andorra, Peyragudes or Angliru, that will change my opinon.

HCl+HN03 said:
Well Nibali, Rodriquez and Valverde are all great riders, but for none of them are the Vuelta the highlight of the season. Roche, Pinot and Horner where fighting for 10th spot in what was called "the weakest tour in recent years" by fellow members on this forum.
I agre with that to certain extent. And even if I also bellive all three of them have improved slighty since last year, I am not convinced that this field isnt weak.

Last year the Vuelta where extremly weak behind top 3, Froome craced but managed 4th. And even Moreno and Gesink where fading in the third week but managed 5th and 6th without problem. This year is tougher so far, I belive. However, to win this race, I find its easier this year than last.
But the race is not over, and me might see a bi show in Andorra, Peyragudes or Angliru, that will change my opinon.

Hasn't that been a perennial problem of the Vuelta, though? It's the last GT of the season, riders start to feel the wear and tear come September.

Having that in mind, I wouldn't call this Vuelta field particularly weak. There have been weaker fields in recent years, and quite frankly, the Giro field this year doesn't strike me as being stronger.

1 Vincenzo Nibali (ITA) Pink jersey Astana 84h 53' 28"
2 Rigoberto Urán (COL) Team Sky + 4' 43"
3 Cadel Evans (AUS) BMC Racing Team + 5' 52"
4 Michele Scarponi (ITA) Lampre-Merida + 6' 48"
5 Carlos Betancur (COL) White jersey Ag2r-La Mondiale + 7' 28"
6 Przemysław Niemiec (POL) Lampre-Merida + 7' 43"
7 Rafał Majka (POL) Team Saxo-Tinkoff + 8' 09"
8 Beñat Intxausti (ESP) Movistar Team + 10' 26"
9 Mauro Santambrogio (ITA) Vini Fantini-Selle Italia + 10' 32"
10 Domenico Pozzovivo (ITA) Ag2r-La Mondiale + 10' 59"

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
btw seeing Horners success I've started training. I'm only 27 so by 2020 I should make my Tour debut and then finally win it in 2023. :cool:

Nah, you will not win before best age of 40+ for GT riders. So i predict your first TdF-Win in 2028. Are there any future bets available? ...

Afrank said:
Just looking at the names and the recent history of those names the field does look on the weaker sides. But the way the race has unfolded, the field doesn't strike me as being that weak. The favorites have been attacking each other, swapping the red jersey around, and just making each other work for it. So based on how the race has unfolded so far, I'd say the field is actually stronger then it looks on paper.

Nibali, Rodriguez and Valverde are not at their peak and all three would be aiming for the World's. Obviously they still want to win the Vuelta but I think the real interest is the form of other riders. Basso, Horner Roche etc.........I thought Moreno would have showed more fight but he is another one who will like the course at Firenze. Still he has had a good race without being a chance to podium any longer.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
he is very unpredictable in ITT, he had some really good ones ; he also had some really bad ones. I expect him to lose at least 1:30 in normal situation, but who knows what sort of Horner will show up on the day!

admiring my prediction skills:p:D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
Nibali didn't even take a single second out of Horner's lead from when he attacked.

Grandpa has it in the bag.

It's still possible for Gramps to get the bottom step of the podium (I don't see him losing that much time to Basso), but god, I hope not.

Wallace said:
It's still possible for Gramps to get the bottom step of the podium (I don't see him losing that much time to Basso), but god, I hope not.
considering the amount of MTF stages- he might be able to keep smashing the competition out of the saddle..... but honestly--Angliru will surely kill him no matter what....

TRENDING THREADS