• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Kristoff surpass Hushovd as the best norwegian ever?

Title says it all. Hus hovd is retiring this year so his palmares will be finalized. At the same time Alexander Kristoff is going from strength to strength this season with a monument win and his first Tour victory.

When it is time to wrap up Kristoff's career as well do you think he will have surpassed the overall palmares of Thor Hushovd?

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Thor has 8 Tour stage wins( 10 in total with TTT plus 2 point jerseys), a WC and won stages in all GT's. ( as well as days in yellow which are as prestigious )

If Kriistoff can maintain this shape, possibly. But maintaing such shape will be tough too. So gotta say he won't reach his status.

Vino attacks everyone said:
I like Hushovd. The July version mind you, not april Hushovd :p

Thor+Hushovd+Le+Tour+de+France+2011+Previews+N3hClusoENNl.jpg

:eek:

I think Kristoff will come out better.

Ok, the clowns might turn MSR into another Ardennes race, but 8-10 more years going for RVV and P-R should yield a result or two. Cance and Boonen will decline over this period.

I can see two realistic chances for a Worlds title in the same period (favorable parcours). Low probability.

As a stronger sprinter than Hushovd, Kristoff could deliver 1 win/ year in the tour as ASO tries to mix up the flattish stages a bit moving forward (as seen this year).

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I like Thor,he was my favorite sprinter plus he could climb :eek:the july version was top class.Kristoff is good but is not there yet,i don't think he will do it,but he could come very close.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Kristoff already has a MSR which is as good or better then any of Hushovd's one day wins. And he's still relatively young at 27, should just be coming into his prime now. So I could see Kristoff surpassing him with time.

I'd really like to see Kristoff target green at the Tour, could do well in it I think and be a good competitor for Sagan.
And Kristoff's results in some cobbled one days bode well for his future too.

Who would have thought a few years ago that we would be having this discussion about Kristoff rather than EBH?

Knudsen was before my time, so I have nothing to say about how talented he was, but his palmares are not as good as Hushovd's. At this point it also appears likely that Kristoff will eventually overhaul Hushovd. He could rise to the top in one day by adding a second monument win.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
Kristoff is only a couple of months younger than Ed Bos, who has better palmares?

I think EBH overall, but M-SR is better than anything EBH has done and Kristoff seems to be heading in a better direction at the moment.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
If he does surpass thor, hopefully he'll be able to avoid awkward and embarrassing opening ceremonies. I still cringe whenever I see a photo off the other riders bowing to him as he holds a hammer and wears a wig. That is the stuff of nightmares.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
yespatterns said:
If he does surpass thor, hopefully he'll be able to avoid awkward and embarrassing opening ceremonies. I still cringe whenever I see a photo off the other riders bowing to him as he holds a hammer and wears a wig. That is the stuff of nightmares.
LOL :D:D:D

As for kristoff vs hushovd. Yeah I think its pretty possible Kristoff will become legend of Norway.I mean MSR+ 2 stages in Tour,thats massive!

Dazed and Confused said:
As a stronger sprinter than Hushovd, Kristoff could deliver 1 win/ year in the tour as ASO tries to mix up the flattish stages a bit moving forward (as seen this year).
I don't think Kristoff is a better sprinter than Hushovd in his prime.
Afrank said:
Kristoff already has a MSR which is as good or better then any of Hushovd's one day wins.
No. Just no. Not even close.
del1962 said:
Kristoff is only a couple of months younger than Ed Bos, who has better palmares?

I'd say EBH for now but AK is rapidly closing.

To answer the original question, he's got a good shot. I used to dislike him for some vague reason but I've been really impressed with him the last couple of years. I say 50/50.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Knudsen was before my time, so I have nothing to say about how talented he was, but his palmares are not as good as Hushovd's.

So what it was before your time? It was before mine too but I can just realize that Knudsen was a way better time-trialist than Hushovd was, so he had a better engine, period.

Hushovd's palmares might be better but was mainly built up by wheelsucking. Knudsen won dozens of ITT's. That can't lie. Besides, nothing stops you from documentating. A lot of contemporaries could testify how phenomenally strong Knudsen was.

jaylew said:
No. Just no. Not even close.

Obviously Milan-Sanremo is harder than the Geelong Worlds, so yes just yes.

TRENDING THREADS