• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will this bike work? Campagnolo build? Advice sought.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
A while back I found some parts and am thinking of building this bike. Will it shift nicely? Or do any parts stick out as a sore spot?

All parts circa 2005.

Shifters: Campy Centaur 10 speed
Front der: Campy Chorus 10 spd
Rear der: Campy Centaur 10 spd
Crankset: FSA Gossamer Compact (50/34)
Chain: KMC 10 spd
Cassette: American Classic 10spd

I guess the shifting is my main area of question. Will this puppy shift smoothly? Or is the parts mix going to present problems? If so, which parts? I'm hoping for a little advice, before I go ahead with the project. Thanks, mates!

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
In 2005 I believe Campy made 2 front deraileurs, one for compact and one for standard spacing. (I think they merged them into one in '08 or '09). If you don't have the compact model, then I expect a problem. Please double-check, my memory may be off. I know nothing about the Cassette.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Ha
You got all the parts so give it a go they will work but how good or what you expect from a mix like that is another thing.

If it dont work then look for a different front mech on ebay its that easy.

I have 9 speed record Ti rear mech on my 10 speed bike it works better than 10 speed centura. The KMC chain is not as good shifting as campy but its OK

Dont think about it do and get out on the bike.

dylanfly said:
A while back I found some parts and am thinking of building this bike. Will it shift nicely? Or do any parts stick out as a sore spot?

All parts circa 2005.

Shifters: Campy Centaur 10 speed
Front der: Campy Chorus 10 spd
Rear der: Campy Centaur 10 spd
Crankset: FSA Gossamer Compact (50/34)
Chain: KMC 10 spd
Cassette: American Classic 10spd

I guess the shifting is my main area of question. Will this puppy shift smoothly? Or is the parts mix going to present problems? If so, which parts? I'm hoping for a little advice, before I go ahead with the project. Thanks, mates!

It will work fine. Compacts were around far longer than 'compact' front derailleurs, particularly with Campagnolo's superior 'ratcheting friction' type LH/front shifter.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Cassette could be a problem

AmClassic made a Campy-compatible cassetter that for Shimano bodies. If it isn't one of those...
A JTek adapter works well, $40.
And posters advice about the "CT" front derr for the FSA crankset are right.
That chain is one of the narrowest, so if it floats on the inner ring, get a Campy or Wipperman or even a Shimano.

And always use a Campy compatible cable w/ those shift levers.

Chain length is: a much as fits w/o rubbing itself at the derr cage. (This is in the Small-small combo). BTW: Shimano systems have a different rule.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
take it your using the american Classic C-10 cassette to fit shimano 8-9 hubs.
we have used it on team bikes.

no big complaints. the measured cog-cog is .12mm different and it does add up at 7 or 8 tooth.

would put a campagnolo own chain or wipperman runs best.
regardless enjoy