• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Van Den Broeck lead SIL in '10?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I think Van De Broek will be SIL's GC leader next year for the following reasons:

1. Cadel appears to be increasingly upset with his team mates and team managers and will probably leave,
2. Even if Cadel stays I'm sure his team/directors feel the same way as he does,
3. VdB is a strong climber and able to accelerate,
4. His Belgium on a Belgium team

can't wait to see him in the TT and on Mt Ventoux.

your thoughts?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
mherm79 said:
1. Cadel appears to be increasingly upset with his team mates and team managers and will probably leave,
Where does Cadel go? I dont see many teams that have an avalible slot to a rider of his cost and calibier. Of the ones that do, I dont see them wanting Evans. Garmin would rather have Levi, and Columbia has Tony Martin, who should be comming into form next year.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
Where does Cadel go?

i'm not sure - maybe a new team like Sastre did. but i honestly don't think any team will want him, not after the way he has carried on. i wouldn't want him on my team - too much of a negative force.

so he will probably stay, which is why i put down points 2 & 4. i don't think the team is behind him and i don't think he is a podium finisher anymore.

so i think SIL will relegate him to 'super domestique' and they will promote their future, a Belgium leader on a Belgium team.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
mherm79 said:
I think Van De Broek will be SIL's GC leader next year for the following reasons:

2. Even if Cadel stays I'm sure his team/directors feel the same way as he does,

your thoughts?

Yeah, I can see it panning out as you put it above.

Maybe next year is too soon for VdB to really come into his own and be able to ride as a marked man, but it looks like it's just a matter of time.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
mherm79 said:
so i think SIL will relegate him to 'super domestique' and they will promote their future, a Belgium leader on a Belgium team.
I dont disagree, just think his ego wont allow him to ride as a helper. He will be looking for a new Pro team I think and the only place I see him going is to a french squad. Otherwise it is a Conti team where his biggest asperations, the TdF, are not garanteed.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
VDB lost over 5 minutes in the TTT when he tried to speed Evans up a bit by tapping his rear wheel. Of course VDB fell and Silence did not wait. Then I believe he lost 41 more seconds the day of the wind. You have to wonder where VDB might be right now if he were on another team, or if his team was stronger and none of those misfortunes had occurred. Top ten for certain. BTW, he's a "Belgian" on a "Belgian" team. The adjective is used instead of the noun. ;)

Andre

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
benpounder said:
I dont disagree, just think his ego wont allow him to ride as a helper. He will be looking for a new Pro team I think and the only place I see him going is to a french squad. Otherwise it is a Conti team where his biggest asperations, the TdF, are not garanteed.

good call about his ego.

i think a french team will be even less help to him - they only care about long breakaways and tv time.

maybe the rumoured Ozy team will be formed?

or as scribe states he'll lower his price.

maybe to Katusha as was rumoured when they formed?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
mherm79 said:

your thoughts?

I'm not sure Cadel is upset with his team-mates per say, I think it's a team management/nationality issue causing the issues we're seeing. Personally I'd like to see Cadel find a team which is prepared to back him properly. He may never win the tour, but it would be nice to see him have a decent shot at it.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Andre.J said:
VDB lost over 5 minutes in the TTT when he tried to speed Evans up a bit by tapping his rear wheel. Of course VDB fell and Silence did not wait. Then I believe he lost 41 more seconds the day of the wind. You have to wonder where VDB might be right now if he were on another team, or if his team was stronger and none of those misfortunes had occurred. Top ten for certain.

Andre

would certainly be interesting, but then again if he was higher on the GC after the TTT the peleton wouldn't have led him get into so many breaks.

Andre.J said:
BTW, he's a "Belgian" on a "Belgian" team. The adjective is used instead of the noun. ;)

Andre

can i plead english as a second language and say he's "Belge"? :p

May 30, 2009
Visit site
After watching the short of Cadel being "interviewed" going into the tema bus - he came across again as a petulant schoolboy. He had VdB up the road to help and there were other SIL team people around most of the stages.

Only place he got really let down was in the TTT and most of the other teams were in the same position.

However I do agree the management has much to blamed - letting Horner go and not building the team around rouleurs and climbers who are dedictaed to Cadel.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
If Belgium think they've found a GC contendor, they're going to be dissappointed. Don't think he good enough as a climber or TT.

I wont be too concerned about Evans. If he leaves he'll have no problems finding suitors. Genuine GC riders don't grow on trees. Budget permitting, Cervelo actually seems a logical fit. Co-leader with Sastre and reunited with a string of aussies. Given the top teams have 2 genuine contendors (Astana, Liq, Sax) it makes sense to have more firepower on board. Evans for a Giro-Tour, Sastre for Tour-Vuelta.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I think VDb will lead the team though i think Cadel will move teams. I don't think Silence Lotto understand the concept of going for tour de france victory. Cadel hasn't had the greatest legs in the alps so far but other than Van den Broeck who else has really been there for him. Wegelius a little and lloyd a little but who else. I think Cervelo or Garmin might be the right team for Cadel though Cervelo have Hushovd for green at the tour so maybe Garmin... I personally think that Cadel deserves better than a team like Silence Lotto who struggle to get victories throughout the whole season and have no tatical nous at all. I don't think Silence Lotto are a very well run or organised team.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
If he leaves he'll have no problems finding suitors.
I think he will for all the reasons listed above.

Genuine GC riders don't grow on trees.
So true, and Evans isnt one of them. Both he and Sastre and many others need genuine GC teams around them.

Budget permitting, Cervelo actually seems a logical fit.
It is not. In order to pay for Evans, Cervelo would have to get rid of Sastre, Hushovd, or Haussler.

Co-leader with Sastre and reunited with a string of aussies. Given the top teams have 2 genuine contendors (Astana, Liq, Sax) it makes sense to have more firepower on board. Evans for a Giro-Tour, Sastre for Tour-Vuelta.
Again, Cervelo doesn't have even close the budget as those other teams.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
42coppi said:
However I do agree the management has much to blamed - letting Horner go and not building the team around rouleurs and climbers who are dedictaed to Cadel.

as does Cadel. He is the team leader, he choose to resign when other teams where knocking at the door. So, the guys on his team and support is as much his responsibility as it is team management.

Why do you think Lance has been so successful? He hand picked his team.

Why is HTC successful - Cav has the team working for his goals.

Unfortunately, Cadel has no leadership skills and isn't able to influence his team to do it his way.

Jun 13, 2009
Visit site
I think Evans would find a team without too many hassles. He may need to take a pay cut and share the leadership role more often, though.
His value isn't just as a TdF contender (although I think he missed his best chance last year). He races and is a good chance to win (stages at least) the whole year round. ie Paris-Nice, Dauphine, Fleche Wallone.
He may not win a heap of races, but he's always up there.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
VDB probably will lead Silence/Lotto next year but only after Cadel "sees his own ****" (to use a Northern English expression) and after Silence buy in some big names over the winter only for them to have failed a drugs test earlier this season!

benpounder said:

If Evans go to an Continental team, i think it would be guaranteed they get an Invite to the TDF. You would have a rider who has finished 2nd twice in the Tour, and he has had almost no suspicion around him. I would find it hard to believe that they would not get invited.

What about Team Sky? The Brits want a tour win within 5 years(?) (a bit ambitious IMO) andCadel probably has 5 years max in him as GC rider (he has more chance at the Giro or vuelta than the tour IMO), so he could mentor a british rider.

Wouldnt the british prefer an Aussie leader rather than spanish or italian or whatever he is? Since we Aussies are related (in a way):D I think we need some British perspective on this:)

Ok i also put his in the "Where will AC go next year topic." It is a list of team budgets so you can get an idea of the financial situation of the teams. So you can get an idea of where cadel might go if he leaves.

Astana $12m Euro or 21.4m AUD
AG2R 7.3 or 13
Agritubel 3.7 or 6.7
Bbox 6.5 or 11.6
Caisse 7.0 or 12.5
Cervelo 8.0 or 14.3
Cofidis 8.0 or 14.3
Columbia 15 or 26.8
Euskatel 6.0 or 10.7
FDJ 6.0 or 10.7
Garmin 7.0 or 12.5
Katusha 18 or 32.1
Lampre 6.0 or 10.7
Liquigas 6.0 or 10.7
Milram 7.0 or 12.5
Quickstep 9.0 or 16.0
Rabobank 10 or 17.8
Saxo 7.0 or 12.5
Silence 6.0 or 10.7
Skil 3.0 or 7.1
Fuji -

Hope that helps:)

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Carl0880 said:
If Evans go to an Continental team, i think it would be guaranteed they get an Invite to the TDF. You would have a rider who has finished 2nd twice in the Tour, and he has had almost no suspicion around him. I would find it hard to believe that they would not get invited.

Yes, that might be one compelling asset CE has to sell to a prospective team for 2011. Then again, if he performs next year as he has so far in this Tour, his star may have faded to the point where it's no longer the guaranteed invite it would have been this year.

Don't get me wrong, I like CE, in some ways because he's achieved so much in spite of his emotional fragility and his weak team - two handicaps that would have crippled a lesser rider.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Too bad this thread turned out into a 'Where will Cadel go?' discussion, rather than focusing on Van den Broeck. Although both subjects are of course intertwined.

I do agree that Evans most likely will not go anywhere. Although after what he's been showing the past couple of days, his ambitions as a TDF winner will definetely be over, and he'll never get the support again he has right now. With VdB coming up the way does, Silence has two horses to bet on next year. Don't forget that VdB already finished 7th in the 2008 Giro, 5th if you discount Ricco and Sella. And this year he's confirming his potential in the Tour, despite that crash in the TTT. He's a former Belgian TT champion in the youth categories, and he's a very strong and punchy climber. I'm not saying he's going to win the Tour next year, but I think he has what it takes to take a top 5 or even podium spot in the Giro or Vuelta.

So I'd say for next season: keep Evans, give him a half decent team for the Tour, but don't let VdB be his super domestique. Rather give him his own chance in the Giro or Vuelta, and see how far he goes. If he succeeds and Evans fails to deliver yet again, dump Cadel and keep VDB as their number one GC contender.

TRENDING THREADS