• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will Van Den Broeck lead SIL in '10?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking about this today actually. For sure VdB is knocking on the door, alreadt this tour he hasn't seemed at all interested in helping Evans. He wont contest for a tour victory for a couple years yet i think, but i see his heritage playing a part in the leader role at S-L.

Evans does need to find a new team, but where... and really who would want him.

Apr 27, 2009
Visit site
We do give poor cuddles a rough deal sometimes .. he may not be a fourite with certain parsts of the cycling community, but the guy should have no problems getting aride elsewhere.. and in a new team with decent mangement .. he will prbably be a better rider. VdB needs to move teams, lotto are crap.

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
So VdB is paddling uphill with Armstrong, Nibali, Wiggins and Vandevelde, seemingly with ease. That after rough 2 days in a breakaway. That's pretty awesome, and much better than anything Evans has ever shown this Tour.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
So VdB is paddling uphill with Armstrong, Nibali, Wiggins and Vandevelde, seemingly with ease. That after rough 2 days in a breakaway. That's pretty awesome, and much better than anything Evans has ever shown this Tour.

Yep I agree completely. He has shown much potential so far, even had a punchy attack where Evans only acceletared on Arcalis.

According to Redant, Evans has mental problems which would explain why he isn't riding as well.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
VDB is riding great. I liked yesterday when Pelizzotti looked at VDB to see if he was tired and VDB gave him a stare that said: "What the hell are you looking at?"

Silence Lotto will have to indeed strengthen themselves, and place some domestiques around VDB. I don't see VDB leaving Silence-Lotto though.

I'm also waiting with great anticipation to see what Seeldrayers will do next year, if he goes to the Tour. Kevin now moves up a spot in the Giro after Di Luca's positive.

As far as Evans, he could go to Katusha like the other poster said. Or maybe join up with Vino; he will want to join a team who has strong riders cause he knows what happened in the TTT.

Andre

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Carl0880 said:
If Evans go to an Continental team, i think it would be guaranteed they get an Invite to the TDF. You would have a rider who has finished 2nd twice in the Tour, and he has had almost no suspicion around him. I would find it hard to believe that they would not get invited.
With Astana breaking up into three teams (remember, Vino's return threatens Contador as well as Armstrong) there would be many teams to chose from. I'm not saying that an organizers choice is out of the question, merely pointing out that there aren't a whole lot of those under the current agreements.

Great riding by this guy.

Evans? Maybe AG2R or FDJ would be a good fit.

I don't see him working at Garmin. Wiggins is developing into a good GC rider and Vande Velde is about to finish in the Top 10 for the 2nd year in a row, despite the setbacks he suffered at the Giro.

Wiggins is younger than Evans and Vande Velde is the same age. Do people expect them to just drop everything to appease Evans' tour ambitions when they already have their own, and seem to be improving every year? Evans isn't a step up, if you consider this tour and last years race. Plus, they have Dan Martin and Thomas Peterson, both considered to become solid to very good GC riders.

Then, would Cadel fit in on Garmin? Not to say it's a bad thing, but Cadel's always seemed to like being a loner, and Garmin is hardly a place where a loner fits in.

Columbia, on the other hand, have no real GC contenders, but do have a lot of guys who can finish in the top 15 or so, who could work for Evans in the mountains.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
Garmin have already got VDV & Wiggins, why would they want him? :confused:
I said Garmin would rather have Levi than Cadel as he is a better fit with the team. And it is likely that both will be on the market shortly. Recall that ToC has been reschuled for next year, and a proven US GC rider would fit really well on a US team.

That does not mean Garmin is in a position to get either.

Andre.J said:
VDB lost over 5 minutes in the TTT when he tried to speed Evans up a bit by tapping his rear wheel. Of course VDB fell and Silence did not wait. Then I believe he lost 41 more seconds the day of the wind. You have to wonder where VDB might be right now if he were on another team, or if his team was stronger and none of those misfortunes had occurred. Top ten for certain. BTW, he's a "Belgian" on a "Belgian" team. The adjective is used instead of the noun. ;)

Andre
He would have been 9th, 10th or 11th, around his max right now. Maybe he could keep up with Vandevelde on mountains, but then lose too much in TT, he's a reasonable TT rider, but not super (not like in his junior years when he was world champion in that discipline).

In the future a solid top 10 rider in GT's. (probably already), but I don't see him growing into a real contender, but who knows, we've seen more miracles happen.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If van den broeck was cadel at silence lotto at the moment van den broeck would sill be considered no 1 rider du to belgian influence. Silence lotto do not have the discipline or knowledge to win the tour. Sargeant said that Cadel has taught us how to propeley diet, training plans, get ceratain riders etc for GT. Shouldn't a team already know that. I think Cadel should go to AG2R or Garmin. Garmin could use another guy like Cadel if it is for support or as a leader. AG2R has some strong climbers and i doubt yhat their will be a team time trial next year (or the one like this years) especially due to the amount of crashes and reactions.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
If Cadel goes I hope it's to Ag2r or Lampre. Both are solid teams lacking a GC contender, and it'd mean I'd get to see an army of portly men wearing either brown or pink knicks heading slowly up the road every Sunday morning in summer. Classic.