• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Will We See Doped Teams in the Tour of Utah?

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
The Tour of Utah, while short (5 days plus a prologue), is billed as "America's Toughest Stage Race". Take a look at the course profiles and you will agree. Other than the ITT's (prologue and regular stage), there aren't any flat stages. Even the single criterium stage has a steep half-mile climb on every lap! Nothing for the sprinters in this race!

The question is this -- there are over a dozen teams in the race, most of them amateur US teams. Presumably these guys aren't doping. But there are two other teams entered that are suspicious. BMC -- Based on his ride at the Tour this year I don't think that Hincapie is still juiced. But what about Ballan? Is the team clean?

The other team I'm suspicious of is the LiveStrong U23 team. Hopefully these guys are still clean. But at what point does Lance put them on the hotsauce?

I'd hate to see doped guys racing against clean guys, although I guess that's what happened last year with Rock Racing in the mix. Your thoughts?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ricara said:
The Tour of Utah, while short (5 days plus a prologue), is billed as "America's Toughest Stage Race". Take a look at the course profiles and you will agree. Other than the ITT's (prologue and regular stage), there aren't any flat stages. Even the single criterium stage has a steep half-mile climb on every lap! Nothing for the sprinters in this race!

The question is this -- there are over a dozen teams in the race, most of them amateur US teams. Presumably these guys aren't doping. But there are two other teams entered that are suspicious. BMC -- Based on his ride at the Tour this year I don't think that Hincapie is still juiced. But what about Ballan? Is the team clean?

The other team I'm suspicious of is the LiveStrong U23 team. Hopefully these guys are still clean. But at what point does Lance put them on the hotsauce?

I'd hate to see doped guys racing against clean guys, although I guess that's what happened last year with Rock Racing in the mix. Your thoughts?

Sorry Merikans don't dope. We live in democracy and are honest.

ricara said:

I think I am going to be there. I'll make a Dopestrong Devil outfit and scare the dopers off the course.

I hope FLandis gives the race director a call and enters.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I think I am going to be there. I'll make a Dopestrong Devil outfit and scare the dopers off the course.

I hope FLandis gives the race director a call and enters.

You think Floyd would do that hard race? Clean?

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
luckyboy said:
2010 Individual Riders
190 Levi LEIPHEIMER

Well, that sucks.

I think we need a new nickname for him. What do you think -- Dopeheimer or Leipdoper?

EDIT: Why do you think RadioShack cut him loose for this? Are they trying to distance themselves from the Gerolsteiner's DS admissions of Levi doping? Will they try to make him the fall guy for Lance? I mean, Geez, they have a 30-man squad and they can't find one guy to ride with Levi? Didn't he just ride some other race by himself also?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ricara said:
Well, that sucks.

I think we need a new nickname for him. What do you think -- Dopeheimer or Leipdoper?

EDIT: Why do you think RadioShack cut him loose for this? Are they trying to distance themselves from the Gerolsteiner's DS admissions of Levi doping? Will they try to make him the fall guy for Lance? I mean, Geez, they have a 30-man squad and they can't find one guy to ride with Levi? Didn't he just ride some other race by himself also?

floyd and levi in race together. your vote, tizzie fit, pump in bicycle spokes, fist fight, slap fight or them ignoring each other. Heck that would be way more interesting then the race itself watching thos e two together.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
floyd and levi in race together. your vote, tizzie fit, pump in bicycle spokes, fist fight, slap fight or them ignoring each other. Heck that would be way more interesting then the race itself watching thos e two together.

It'd be a cat and mouse game of he said that I said that you said, he said, he said. She said.

ricara said:

Well, if he wants to do the race but a lot of the other guys aren't fussed, why not let him? It's not like Radioshack have got anything else to race for, now they've failed both their season's objectives. The old guys haven't got much left in the tank, many of Bruyneel's A-guys never have raced much after the Tour, and are older now than they were then, so let the kids take up the slack of the few remaining commitments in Europe, and let the old guys have their fun wherever.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
This is easy..Levi is looking for a domestic conti team for next year and this is the place to meet, greet, and race his way onto one..

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
some random thoughts

-the domestic bunch is hardly all "clean", though I know first hand that you can get results clean, so I imagine that it's mostly knuckleheads buying stuff off of the internet or drugstore cowboys getting their fix, and in some cases doing as much harm as good. I highly doubt there's any big systematic doping going on. There's neither the money nor the reward.

-BMC seemed to take a paradigm shift after last year. Penance or smokescreen, I don't know.

-I highly doubt they're doping up the Livestrong U23's. If you can't get domestic results clean, you'll never make it doped in Europe. The bigger worry is when they make the transition. Certainly none of their guys are putting in suspect performances. They have some talented guys, and they're performing as you'd suspect. They still all get dropped on the really hard days.

-I'm glad Rock won't be there

-it won't totally surprise me to see another Shack guy show up. Doesn't matter, the Livestrong guys will ride for him as much as they can without getting in trouble

TRENDING THREADS