• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Windows 7 or vista..?

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi to all
I am planning to buy new laptop.But confused little which system to buy.So please share your experience so i can get some ideas.which one is better..?

A

Anonymous

Windows 7 By a country mile... it is a million times quicker and more stable than vista.. Been using it since april and it is by far the best os they have ever brought out... its faster than XP...

Even if you buy a vista pc you will probably be entitled to a free upgrade to w7... check the list here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/upgrade-option.aspx

but yeh, its an easy one for me.. windows 7 is the first MS Os since w95 that im happy with..

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
I have Vista and which is ok once you spend an hour or two tweaking - but the IT people tell me that Windows 7 (which they have been using pre-release) uses less memory and is much more stable, it also has incorporated the tweaks that I had to personally run for Vista. So my suggestion is Windows 7.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm upgrading in a couple of months.
Can anybody tell me why i should by a Mac?
Since the usual argument is nothing more than: "Buy a Mac", I ask why would I?

I like to play games on the PC, I don't really care how it looks (wires are manly, har har), I really didn't like the Apple products I've owned/used so far, I want to be able to upgrade components every once in a while, I demand a multiple button mouse, I'm not willing to pay money for a brandname and I want to be able to connect it to an Xbox.

So?

A

Anonymous

CentralCaliBike said:
I have Vista and which is ok once you spend an hour or two tweaking - but the IT people tell me that Windows 7 (which they have been using pre-release) uses less memory and is much more stable, it also has incorporated the tweaks that I had to personally run for Vista. So my suggestion is Windows 7.

its miles ahead.. twice the speed, much better use of resources
much more secure, ive had one bsod since april and that was a driver issue
filesystem is more organised as well

bsaically vista should never have been released..

A

Anonymous

titan_90 said:
Ubuntu or XP Pro. Vista is junk and Win 7 hasn't been out long enough.

windows 7 has been used by millions of people for a year..

its the first windows OS that was truly tested before released.. something like 3 million people downloaded it legally from ms, and god knows how many million from bittorrent..

its certainly the first OS to receive such widespread testing prior to release..

Xp is very vulnerable is the main problem, and MS are getting slower and slower at fixing holes.. full support for it has ended although they will continue doing updates for five more years

as someone whos used everything since windows 3.1 (well dos before that), and linux since the early red hat days, this is the best OS MS have produced by a country mile..

remarkably quick and im using it on a very average system 2mhz proc, 4gb ram.. very stable.. its vista underneath so all the drivers work, so its not like going from xp to vista where you need new drivers, all the old vista drivers (well, pretty much all) work fine with Se7en... the media centre in it kicks major ****.. and they have finally got the backup system and things working properly..

as i say, ive been using it since about feb with no problems at all, and im not even on the final Release.. im still on 7600 which was the rtm (ish)

and it is ten times quicker than XP as well.. you really notice for instance changing a desktop wallpaper, which is a simple process, its instant.. none of that annoying applying them lark going on...

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
windows 7 has been used by millions of people for a year..

its the first windows OS that was truly tested before released.. something like 3 million people downloaded it legally from ms, and god knows how many million from bittorrent..

its certainly the first OS to receive such widespread testing prior to release..

Xp is very vulnerable is the main problem, and MS are getting slower and slower at fixing holes.. full support for it has ended although they will continue doing updates for five more years

as someone whos used everything since windows 3.1 (well dos before that), and linux since the early red hat days, this is the best OS MS have produced by a country mile..

remarkably quick and im using it on a very average system 2mhz proc, 4gb ram.. very stable.. its vista underneath so all the drivers work, so its not like going from xp to vista where you need new drivers, all the old vista drivers (well, pretty much all) work fine with Se7en... the media centre in it kicks major ****.. and they have finally got the backup system and things working properly..

as i say, ive been using it since about feb with no problems at all, and im not even on the final Release.. im still on 7600 which was the rtm (ish)

and it is ten times quicker than XP as well.. you really notice for instance changing a desktop wallpaper, which is a simple process, its instant.. none of that annoying applying them lark going on...

There will always be issues and problems with software even if it was in development for 100 years. And I like to be on the safe side with a new OS release. I like to wait a few months before I switch over, Ubuntu 9.10 has just been released and I haven't done a clean install yet. That being said Windows 7 is a good step for Microsoft. But it's still bloated IMHO as it take up 16gb of hdd space but that's how MS has always done things:rolleyes:

Maybe I am a little biased anymore when it comes to Windows, I have been using Ubuntu for awhile now and I don't have all of the headaches that comes with using Windows and I am loving it:D

A

Anonymous

titan_90 said:
There will always be issues and problems with software even if it was in development for 100 years. And I like to be on the safe side with a new OS release. I like to wait a few months before I switch over, Ubuntu 9.10 has just been released and I haven't done a clean install yet. That being said Windows 7 is a good step for Microsoft. But it's still bloated IMHO as it take up 16gb of hdd space but that's how MS has always done things:rolleyes:

Maybe I am a little biased anymore when it comes to Windows, I have been using Ubuntu for awhile now and I don't have all of the headaches that comes with using Windows and I am loving it:D

it can be forced into a lot less...
it puts about 2gb aside for virtual memory
2gb for hibernate.sys and about another 2gb for system restore points.. it is possiblt to bring an install in at about 12gb..
the bulk of the install is the winsxs folder.. mine currently runs at about 5gb, its basically folders full of copy dlls, several in some cases but it stops all the problems you used to get with xp removing a program and suddenly finding things didnt work because it reverted to the wrong dll for them..

16gb really isnt an issue anyway.. i dont think there are many people run with a hard drive smaller than 120gb.. you can pick up a 200gb drive now for less than £30.. (ive just got a 200gb toshiba laptop drive for 29.99)

i dual boot with ubuntu btw.. but i cant use it full time as neither my DPT, graphics or movie editing packages work with it (and dont install under wine or crossover either).. ubuntu still has its problems..my inspiron graphics drivers still wont give me a decent resolution, tv support is poor, there is no real substitute for media player, and drivers can be a pain in the bum.. web browsing is badly effected by cookies as there is no linux cleaning program for distruptive cookies, its good, but it has issues..

i never actually used vista.. the laptop arrived with it, i lasted an hour before i nearly threw it across the room.. and then spent three days trying to get xp on it, because it was a laptop built for vista and there where no xp drivers from dell.. was a nightmare, but worth it.. but when i switched to 7.. i was amazed.. i never expected it to be quicker than xp.. and certainly didnt expect even a beta to be more stable..
the system tray and start/task bar as well is massively improved thumbnail preview of closed windows is great, the library system for document directories was long needed to be as good as this.. no more my documents..

quite a good review/comparison of windows/ubuntu here
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/oct/27/ubuntu-koala-windows7-review

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't like the setup of vista's programs. they are a bit all over the place and not straightforward. i don't actually know anything about windows 7. Can anyone tell me about the practability and is it easy to use.

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
I don't like the setup of vista's programs. they are a bit all over the place and not straightforward. i don't actually know anything about windows 7. Can anyone tell me about the practability and is it easy to use.

in what sense.....????? when you say setup what do you mean..

its the vista engine underneath, improved and streamlined with, well, basically it works...

installation and organisation is as it was, root/program files, user files as they always where with my documents etc... but with the adition of libraries, essentially shortcut folders, so youre documents library contains my documents, but also any other folders you specify..

function wise, i had no issues transferring straight from xp to w7.. it took me a little while to find some things, but mainly because it is now more intuitive.. so setting up wallpapers, system settings etc is easier.. start menu is improved and you can now just type the name of the program you want to open and it opens, or as soon as you start typing op.... opera and open office appear on the start menu..
searching is much much quicker..

if you have XP upgrade when you are ready and you will see a performance increase, and some things are vastly improved, backups, stability
if you have vista its well worth upgrading for a dramatic performance increase.. for instance on a laptop you get 1 extra hour on average out of the battery just by upgrading..

couple of good videos here
Top 20 windows 7 tips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-h1qHPUw4g
Quick Tips and Tutorials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvO2JhS5t98
windows 7 demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKDQlTbPmoI (worth watching the end just to see how quick it runs on a netbook with 1gb ram)

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Windows 7 without a doubt. Have been using it for the last year and it is much better then my Vista box.

Other OS Opinions, Linux pick any distro, the best of anything out there. I run my personal email server, website, etc off of a dead headed Linux box with a P3 700Mhz processor and only a 1 gig of memory. Apple is to computing as LA is to cycling, marketing MARKETING. Get the public behind the product and they will follow. When Apple markets the fact that their OS is Linux I will respect them, just like I will respect LA if he ever mans up and admits EPO.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
in what sense.....????? when you say setup what do you mean..

its the vista engine underneath, improved and streamlined with, well, basically it works...

installation and organisation is as it was, root/program files, user files as they always where with my documents etc... but with the adition of libraries, essentially shortcut folders, so youre documents library contains my documents, but also any other folders you specify..

function wise, i had no issues transferring straight from xp to w7.. it took me a little while to find some things, but mainly because it is now more intuitive.. so setting up wallpapers, system settings etc is easier.. start menu is improved and you can now just type the name of the program you want to open and it opens, or as soon as you start typing op.... opera and open office appear on the start menu..
searching is much much quicker..

if you have XP upgrade when you are ready and you will see a performance increase, and some things are vastly improved, backups, stability
if you have vista its well worth upgrading for a dramatic performance increase.. for instance on a laptop you get 1 extra hour on average out of the battery just by upgrading..

couple of good videos here
Top 20 windows 7 tips http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-h1qHPUw4g
Quick Tips and Tutorials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvO2JhS5t98
windows 7 demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKDQlTbPmoI (worth watching the end just to see how quick it runs on a netbook with 1gb ram)

I don't like thier programs. it's just all over the place and not easy to use. Me and my many friends find that as well. What i was wondering is Windows & easier to use. Thanks for the vids dim

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
it can be forced into a lot less...
it puts about 2gb aside for virtual memory
2gb for hibernate.sys and about another 2gb for system restore points.. it is possiblt to bring an install in at about 12gb..
the bulk of the install is the winsxs folder.. mine currently runs at about 5gb, its basically folders full of copy dlls, several in some cases but it stops all the problems you used to get with xp removing a program and suddenly finding things didnt work because it reverted to the wrong dll for them..

16gb really isnt an issue anyway.. i dont think there are many people run with a hard drive smaller than 120gb.. you can pick up a 200gb drive now for less than £30.. (ive just got a 200gb toshiba laptop drive for 29.99)

i dual boot with ubuntu btw.. but i cant use it full time as neither my DPT, graphics or movie editing packages work with it (and dont install under wine or crossover either).. ubuntu still has its problems..my inspiron graphics drivers still wont give me a decent resolution, tv support is poor, there is no real substitute for media player, and drivers can be a pain in the bum.. web browsing is badly effected by cookies as there is no linux cleaning program for distruptive cookies, its good, but it has issues..

i never actually used vista.. the laptop arrived with it, i lasted an hour before i nearly threw it across the room.. and then spent three days trying to get xp on it, because it was a laptop built for vista and there where no xp drivers from dell.. was a nightmare, but worth it.. but when i switched to 7.. i was amazed.. i never expected it to be quicker than xp.. and certainly didnt expect even a beta to be more stable..
the system tray and start/task bar as well is massively improved thumbnail preview of closed windows is great, the library system for document directories was long needed to be as good as this.. no more my documents..

quite a good review/comparison of windows/ubuntu here
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/oct/27/ubuntu-koala-windows7-review

Have you given Ubuntu Studio Edition a try? It's geared specifically for multimedia production.

A

Anonymous

titan_90 said:
Have you given Ubuntu Studio Edition a try? It's geared specifically for multimedia production.

i havnt.. ive got a new HDD coming over the next couple of days and im moving to the new ubuntu then so i may try that..

trouble is ive been using the same dtp, video and graphics software for years (serif), and im dont really want to move, the wife also uses them at school now, so she will use the laptop sometimes, we transfer work etc etc... and they will not play under wine..

but i may look at ubuntu se..

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Buy a Mac.

Win 7 if you really really have to buy a PC.
Mac is a good computer yes, but a PC for that price is just as good, depending of what you want to do with it, gaming->pc, graphic desing/audio->maybe mac.

And windows 7 is superb

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi Everyone..

Windows 7 is best.Because it has better features then the other.And Windows 7 is a vast improvement from Vista as it takes up much less ram and has other optimizations such as fast booting times. I recommend Windows 7, and if you really don't want vista and don't want to wait for the final version of Windows 7, you can download a copy of the Release Candidate from the Microsoft website for free and use it up till June of 2010. I am working with the Release Candidate right now and so far I have absolutely no complaints, considering Im a heavy computer use with advanced software.

TRENDING THREADS