• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Windows 7 or vista..?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

nikdevid said:
Hi Everyone..

Windows 7 is best.Because it has better features then the other.And Windows 7 is a vast improvement from Vista as it takes up much less ram and has other optimizations such as fast booting times. I recommend Windows 7, and if you really don't want vista and don't want to wait for the final version of Windows 7, you can download a copy of the Release Candidate from the Microsoft website for free and use it up till June of 2010. I am working with the Release Candidate right now and so far I have absolutely no complaints, considering Im a heavy computer use with advanced software.

BEAR IN MIND THE RC CANNOT BE UPDATED TO THE FULL VERSION.. IF YOU BUY THE FULL VERSION YOU HAVE TO DO A FULL INSTALL..

well it will upgrade but its complicated..

I wouldnt recommend downloading the RC unless you have a spare testing PC

ExRower said:
Vista is utter crap, needs 1GB to run. Win 7 OTOH, only runs on 500mb of RAM.

to be honest though ram is so cheap why would anyone run on 500mb...
i picked up 4gb for about £20... cheapest upgrade you can do

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
ExRower said:
Vista is utter crap, needs 1GB to run. Win 7 OTOH, only runs on 500mb of RAM.

I'd like to try Windows 7 but not sure if my machine can handle it.

I have a 2003 Dell with P4 2.3GHz and 1GB of RAM (the max it can handle), and lots of HDD space. Right now running XP pretty well.

Does anyone have a sense if 7 would run OK on this machine?

Thanks,
Murray

A

Anonymous

Murray said:
I'd like to try Windows 7 but not sure if my machine can handle it.

I have a 2003 Dell with P4 2.3GHz and 1GB of RAM (the max it can handle), and lots of HDD space. Right now running XP pretty well.

Does anyone have a sense if 7 would run OK on this machine?

Thanks,
Murray

should run it an absolute peice of cake...

mine is a 1.86ghz celeron, and it has no problems at all..
yes, i do have 4gb of ram, but it ran perfectly well under 1gb you may just find the aero is switched off..
how much graphics memory do you have.. the only reason i went up to 4gb memory is becuase i have onboard graphics so doing that, meant that the onboard was able to steal 512mb for graphics leaving me with 3.5gb for system...

if you go here
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/default.aspx
you can download and run the compatibility tool which will tell you..
i certainly find it runs quicker than xp

the basic requirements are
If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

which to be honest is what xp needed.. the old xp only needs 256mb of ram was hogwash.. but loads of people running se7en with 1gb or 512mb..

A

Anonymous

well i wont be installed the new ubuntu until they fix it..

its still having the problems recognising windows 7 (it did that in 9.04, refused to see the windows 7 installation and had to manually edit grub to get windows to boot, and even then windows wasnt keen)

same problem looks like its in 9.10