• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Winning Liège-Bastogne-Liège "the Vino way!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
karlboss said:
<snip>

In fact you could almost argue the same things for Iglinsky as Anglos argue for Wiggins, Evans, or francophiles for the renaissance of French cycling, that they are succeeding in a cleaner peloton.

Or you could argue that they have joined the 'program'.

There is the myth of a cleaner peloton being perpetuated constantly. But we all heard that in 1999.

The peloton is no more cleaner than it ever was. They have moved on to other 'training programs', better 'science' and better 'diet'. ;)

Benotti69 said:

There is the myth of a cleaner peloton being perpetuated constantly. But we all heard that in 1999.

The peloton is no more cleaner than it ever was. They have moved on to other 'training programs', better 'science' and better 'diet'. ;)
I think it was cleaner around 2009-2010, but things are getting worse again, especially this year. The history of doping is not linear. For example, 1997 was probably cleaner than 1996, although still dirty as hell. 2002 is another year that's sometimes mentioned as somewhat cleaner, when riders were still adapting to the new EPO tests.

"Cleaner" here doesn't refer to how many riders dope, but how much of a boost they can get away with, of course.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Iglinsky, not even out of the saddle at Saint Nicholas. On top of his form at just the age of 31. Everyone likes to believe in miracles but they just don't happen.

Another University of Ferrara LBL win.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
I think it was cleaner around 2009-2010, but things are getting worse again, especially this year. The history of doping is not linear. For example, 1997 was probably cleaner than 1996, although still dirty as hell. 2002 is another year that's sometimes mentioned as somewhat cleaner, when riders were still adapting to the new EPO tests.

"Cleaner" here doesn't refer to how many riders dope, but how much of a boost they can get away with, of course.

Now he is not on the UCI Panel I wonder if Ashenden will ever reveal what % of the riders on the passport have values that whilst arnt suspicious, simply dont stack up. He must have some idea of how clean the peleton is these days I would have thought.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

That was kind of my point, he is equally suspicious as any other winner, but when a there is a new english, aussie, french winner, it is as the peloton is cleaner, when they are eastern european, because they are doping.

As to cleaner peloton, maybe,
For Evans wins the tour with climbing speeds akin to Lemond etc (note this does not suggest Evans is clean, just he could be)
Against Horner ToC, Cobo, Froome Vuelta,

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:

2009? Contador on verbier, Armstrong on the Tour podium, Cavendish all year, curious choice of clean year.

karlboss said:
2009? Contador on verbier, Armstrong on the Tour podium, Cavendish all year, curious choice of clean year.
*shrug*
I was talking about general trends in the peloton, not about dopers that stand out and might skew the full picture. Admittedly, I was going to say 2008-2010 but then I thought mentioning the year of Riccò, Schumacher, Rebellin and Kohl would just sound silly. I dunno. Maybe it was just 2010 that was slightly cleaner, maybe it was just the 2011 Tour (and not the rest of the season). Maybe it doesn't make any sense, but my perception is that it's getting worse now, so logically it must have been better in the recent past.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
*shrug*
I was talking about general trends in the peloton, not about dopers that stand out and might skew the full picture. Admittedly, I was going to say 2008-2010 but then I thought mentioning the year of Riccò, Schumacher, Rebellin and Kohl would just sound silly. I dunno. Maybe it was just 2010 that was slightly cleaner, maybe it was just the 2011 Tour (and not the rest of the season). Maybe it doesn't make any sense, but my perception is that it's getting worse now, so logically it must have been better in the recent past.

Fair enough. Play ball.

hrotha said:
*shrug*

Good post, I generally agree. Looks like things got better with a sort of peak in 2010-2011-ish, and got 'dirtier' again in later 2011 through to now. I remember in the 2010 Tour that Contador looked almost human in the final TT.

Why don't Astana give Roman the stuff they are giving Gasparroto Iglynski and now Tiralongo?
(post half joke, i have no evidence they are giving the above 3 anything, just observing that their performances this seasons have been significantly better than Roman's)

1. Roman is not awesome enough.
2. Iglinsky is one of the most talented riders in the peloton, but have been fighting mental barriers for years.
3. Gasparotto have 1 third place from before in AGR, this year he was a couple of years wiser and JRod had 1 of his famous "off" days
4. Tiralongo has improved every year in Astana, this year he took the last step + his experience that makes him able to do this.
5. Did i mention Roman is really not awesome enough?

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Benotti69 said:

The peloton is as dirty as it ever was. With an ever evolving armoury of deception the tricks of the trade may have changed. But the omerta is still alive. A different generation charged up on the pharmaceuticals of our time.