• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wonderboy Blames UCI For His Cancer & USPS/Sponsors For His Doping

The HCG thing has been mentioned many many times. It is still puzzling why it was not detected.
It was suggested that this is how Armstrong tried to blackmail the UCI, by calling them out on it.

Apparently, doping samples were just never tested in those days.

There are examples of other athletes testing positive because the had cancer and having a lucky break in detecting it really early.

UCI not catching the elevated HCG-levels almost cost Armstrong his life.

[edit]

Wait. He doesn't even say that. That article is 2 weeks after the confession and mention what others said in their affidavit.
I'm confused.

Almeisan said:
The HCG thing has been mentioned many many times. It is still puzzling why it was not detected.
It was suggested that this is how Armstrong tried to blackmail the UCI, by calling them out on it.

There are examples of other athletes testing positive because the had cancer and having a lucky break in detecting it really early.

[edit]

Wait. He doesn't even say that. That article is 2 weeks after the confession and mention what others said in their affidavit.
I'm confused.

The board was down for a bit, these 2 pieces(though they might be old), did happen rather recently as far as I saw/found them(the second piece about the USPs, happened a few weeks ago apparently). I was hoping to post them earlier, but again the board was down, so I couldn't.

You're right though.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Almeisan said:

[edit]

I'm confused.

This just goes to how pathological he is. I pointed out some older threads that he was on a serious program at Motorola that mystified Ochowicz and his staff. He managed to put in 6 hr training rides at a multi-week camp, lift weights and gain almost 20 lbs! The staff was asking other riders if they had a clue what LA was doing. His cancer followed the next season and he knew what he'd been doing.

Oldman said:
This just goes to how pathological he is. I pointed out some older threads that he was on a serious program at Motorola that mystified Ochowicz and his staff. He managed to put in 6 hr training rides at a multi-week camp, lift weights and gain almost 20 lbs! The staff was asking other riders if they had a clue what LA was doing. His cancer followed the next season and he knew what he'd been doing.

lol.. Reminds me of his infamous, cocky Nike commercial: "What am on? I'm on my bike, busting my azz 6 hours a day! What are you on?" This commercial is hilarious when you watch it now.

Armstrong and his delusions of grandeur aside it's kind of funny to think that USPS didn't have the slightest idea what was going on. So as any other mega sponsor in cycling. And they did get they money's worth.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
zastomito said:
Armstrong and his delusions of grandeur aside it's kind of funny to think that USPS didn't have the slightest idea what was going on. So as any other mega sponsor in cycling. And they did get they money's worth.

So Sky and Garmin both 'know' whats going on, do they?

Ya think when USPS asked Wonderboy about PEDs he told them, "hell yeah, i dope, how the hell do ya think I win, without the dope and UCI i wouldn't win F**k all" and they said " Oh that's ok" .

Sorry maybe they suspected, but Armstrong never tested positive ;)

Yup, they know just doesn't care. Along the lines of 'there is no such thing as bad publicity'. Rider gets busted they just cut him loose and move on. Frankly, such corporations couldn't afford not to know if they cared about clean sport. And they sure got resources to find out.
If I had big bucks to spend on cycling I would go ZTP, no ex-dopers, no cycling specific doctors, nobody in any way connected to pro-cycling. I have money to burn, I have time, why not start from scratch? Tight internal testing program. It's not that difficult, they just don't care and in that point I agree with Armstrong.

zastomito said:
Yup, they know just doesn't care. Along the lines of 'there is no such thing as bad publicity'. Rider gets busted they just cut him loose and move on. Frankly, such corporations couldn't afford not to know if they cared about clean sport. And they sure got resources to find out.
If I had big bucks to spend on cycling I would go ZTP, no ex-dopers, no cycling specific doctors, nobody in any way connected to pro-cycling. I have money to burn, I have time, why not start from scratch? Tight internal testing program. It's not that difficult, they just don't care and in that point I agree with Armstrong.

Sacked within the week.

Benotti69 said:
Ya think when USPS asked Wonderboy about PEDs he told them, "hell yeah, i dope, how the hell do ya think I win, without the dope and UCI i wouldn't win F**k all" and they said " Oh that's ok" .

I don't think anybody actually asked him. And I'm almost sure he wouldn't tell them. But seeing how full of himself he is, who knows.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
zastomito said:
I don't think anybody actually asked him. And I'm almost sure he wouldn't tell them. But seeing how full of himself he is, who knows.

But it is the contract, which is why Armstrong is in a lot of doohdooh. So perception is one thing, contracts are another. Armstrong has gone on record in a court denying doping.

I hope the QuiTam case sends him back to where he came from. :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In terms of the whistleblower suit I just can't see the government proving damages? They had a windfall sponsorship. LA probably tripled the sponsorship value on investment. On that basis alone maybe USPS should give him a bonus. The only thing that can hurt him is if we stop talking about him. The sooner we finish all the associated crap about him the sooner we can stop acknowledging him the better off we all would be. The picture is clear. LA was just 1 of a very large peloton of cheaters. Just stop giving him all this attention . we know his story and all the crap that surrounded him.

Master50 said:
In terms of the whistleblower suit I just can't see the government proving damages? They had a windfall sponsorship. LA probably tripled the sponsorship value on investment. On that basis alone maybe USPS should give him a bonus. The only thing that can hurt him is if we stop talking about him. The sooner we finish all the associated crap about him the sooner we can stop acknowledging him the better off we all would be. The picture is clear. LA was just 1 of a very large peloton of cheaters. Just stop giving him all this attention . we know his story and all the crap that surrounded him.

They don't have to.

(That's how I understand it)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Master50 said:

I suggest reading the Government's complaint as it is different from Floyd's original filing. It is focused on unjust enrichment, not damages

http://www.scribd.com/doc/137774762/United-States-v-Tailwind-Sports-Lance-Armstrong

The only numbers in the public domain regarding the return on the sponsorship were invented by Lance's team when they were trying to maintain the sponsorship. They also do not factor in that the USPS brand is forever associated with blood bags, fraud, and organized doping.

I am surprised that Armstrong's Motion to dismiss is so weak. He has been hinting for months that the "Should have know" defense was the one they would take but they presented no evidence beyond the French investigation that was closed with no charges. It is surprising that he would proceed with such a high risk case with such a weak defense

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
I suggest reading the Government's complaint as it is different from Floyd's original filing. It is focused on unjust enrichment, not damages

http://www.scribd.com/doc/137774762/United-States-v-Tailwind-Sports-Lance-Armstrong

The only numbers in the public domain regarding the return on the sponsorship were invented by Lance's team when they were trying to maintain the sponsorship. They also do not factor in that the USPS brand is forever associated with blood bags, fraud, and organized doping.

I am surprised that Armstrong's Motion to dismiss is so weak. He has been hinting for months that the "Should have know" defense was the one they would take but they presented no evidence beyond the French investigation that was closed with no charges. It is surprising that he would proceed with such a high risk case with such a weak defense

Isn't that a little dramatic? When I think USPS, all I think about is the mail, and a company I use to ship old ski gear to people. Just like when I think of Festina, I think of.........watches.

PhiberAwptik said:
Isn't that a little dramatic? When I think USPS, all I think about is the mail, and a company I use to ship old ski gear to people. Just like when I think of Festina, I think of.........watches.

Not dramatic in my eyes. I'm in the UK and if I see USPS gear I instantly think of doping, same when I see Festina Watches.

Although, it's getting hard to find sponsors I don't instantly associate with doping, no wonder they are walking away.

TRENDING THREADS