• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott SoCal said:
You are just wrong. If you want to cite the WHO reports then you might want to look at how the WHO arrived at their conclusions. Why don't you look at cancer survival rates at the US (among other things)?

You mean like infant mortality rates? The U.S. is worse than Cuba, the workers' paradise. Oh, goody, look. I can cherry pick data too. (Source: The CIA fact book, but I am sure that gaggle of nationalists and torturers wanted to make the U.S. look bad so their conclusions cannot be trusted.)

A

Anonymous

Hugh Januss said:
I am tempted to agree completely, except that I think a lot of what seems like lack of movement is caused by an organized resistance and disinformation campaign such as the one that is bringing down healthcare reform.

But that cannot be fought by indecisive continuation of solutions that fall short of your real ideals. George W Bush didn't falter in his support of tax cuts for people in the upper levels of income. His Congress was majority Republican, and he enacted the policies he said he would regardless of any opposition. All Obama is doing proceeding in the manner he does is to ensure that Republicans win mid-term, and he serves one term.

Of course, congress is no better for not understanding that by passing ANYTHING in the realm of health care will still receive the same rhetorical opposition it would if there were a stronger bill passed. Not only that, but because they all acted like wimpy little puppies regarding this issue, their support from people who want health care reform will be watered down. They lose from both sides.

I am appalled by the lack of spine I see in the Democratic party. I registered Independent 11 years ago because I do not fully support the traditional Democratic platform, though I am most certainly predominately Liberal in my leanings. I in fact detest much of the lowest common denominator politics of the Republican Party, but the one thing I will give them is their fortitude in supporting their issues. I also detest Democratic politicians scared of their own shadow, and beholden to being re-elected more than principle just as much. They make me want to puke.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I think the world is coming to the conclusion that in order for all of us to live will some peace that there are going to have to be rules and limits set forth by government.Most of the world's population has government- so I think it's extension into healthcare is a matter of natural human social evolution. In Canada here I don't have to worry about finding and paying a healthcare insurer for myself or my family; when I got hit by a car or when one of my kids gets sick- paying for the hosipital is one thing that is not holding up the necessary medical care.But where I live there was a hospital that was reciently built- I'm not clear about the funding arrangements, but from what I have gathered it was built privately using public funds and donations- it wound up costing about half as much more than it was initially proposed ( eg. 150%); basically a windfall for the developers and the service since it has opened up has been nothing short of appalling. When I needed to go to a hospital reciently for my leg I drove over to the next town and was in and out in less than an hour, whereas in my experience, I would still be waiting a few hours to see a triage nurse at the newer bigger hospital- and of course they get the billing information just as soon as you walk in the door.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
Ok Cobbles, I don't necessarily disagree with you.

So these are the one's who are either corrupt or corruptable that you place your faith in? I acknowledge corruption in the private sector but it is much easier to root that out. Last time I checked Chris Dodd was still in charge of Senate Banking. Compare that with Angelo Mozillo or Hank Goldberg (DB's that got rich BUT are no longer making decisions for their organizations).

No, I don't have faith in most of those guys. Chris Dodd? No I haven't forgotten his corrupt mortgage deal with Countrywide. He's part of the problem and should go. The sooner the better (and he should take Lieberman with him).

I am very cynical about most of the politicians in Washington and I'm not under any illusions concerning Obama either. He's in the pockets of Wall Street, big pharma etc. No doubt. If you want real change of the Washington culture, you've to look at someone who's more of an outsider. In Ohio, we have Dennis Kucinich. I also liked Ralph Nader, and I'm sure there's someone on the other side of the spectrum as well (and no, it's not Palin). For instance, I can respect Huckabee from most of what I've heard. I hardly agree with any of his political positions, but at least he doesn't seem like a corrupt corporate puppet (see Romney, :eek: )

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
There are proposals out there you just are not listening because your mind is made up. We could start with tort reform, med insurance purcahse across state lines, rules regarding pre-existing conditions, major modifications to the HMO structure, no-frills catastrophic coverage policies (for the healthy young these policies would be very inexpensive), expansion of health savings accounts... BUT, I don't think it matters. Once in the benevolent hands of uncle sam everything will be fixed.

Once, just once, I would like someone to point at something (anything) the govt does well from a cost (including administrative overhead) standpoint. Without the profit motive there is exactly zero pressure to be efficient. The US govt has an endless source of revenue no matter how bad they jack things up.

You have made some good suggestions here but I disagree that without a profit motive there would be no reason to be efficient. Where has this profit motive gotten people now. I support a single payer system but if insurance companies are to remain in the picture they should be forced to become nonprofit.

A

Anonymous

titan_90 said:
You have made some good suggestions here but I disagree that without a profit motive there would be no reason to be efficient. Where has this profit motive gotten people now. I support a single payer system but if insurance companies are to remain in the picture they should be forced to become nonprofit.

The profit motive is one of the building blocks of capitalism. If you remove that motive, our system will fail (you may argue that to be a good thing).

a quick read;

http://www.heartland.org/policybot/results/24023/Drug_Industry_Profits_Are_Good_for_Everybody.html

"Profit Is Motive

Despite the proven benefits, drug industry profits are increasingly under fire by those who paradoxically preach the solution to lower costs and greater consumer access to prescriptions is to limit Big Pharma’s profit margins. Such measures have a proven history of strangling new development and significantly rationing new treatment options."

"While critics chant greed, the greater public good results from the higher quality and competitive costs created by encouraging drug industry innovation, growth, and production."

This article speaks specifically about drug production by the pharma's, but the motive applies to every product or service.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
profit motive is that it is all about greed; it is like a banquet table set up with a limited amount of food and you have people who rush and pile food on their plate well in excess of what they need or can eat at the expense of others- I don't see any good in that system

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Watch it there buddy, us Americans don't talk crap about your president or prime minister or grand poobah, whoever he is.

scribe is pretty much agreeing with me, he also thinks bush is a tool and a lot of conspiracy theorists think bush is al qaida.
Ever heard of Q33 NY on Windings. could keep going but won't;)

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
scribe is pretty much agreeing with me, he also thinks bush is a tool and a lot of conspiracy theorists think bush is al qaida.

Stick to cycling. You are starting to sound like BPC.

auscyclefan94 said:

I'm not disputing for a moment that GWB is a moron, but he's our moron,gosh darn it. If anybody is gonna pick on him it's gonna be us.
Actually I was just trying to make a humorous point that the world doesn't criticize your leaders because nobody outside of Aus. knows what they do.
Dammit, I am rapidly catching up to TFF in terms of number of jokes that require explanation.

A

Anonymous

scribe said:
Let's see. GWB's initial offering....

**** off Russians
**** off Chinese
Forget about Al Qaida

Obama alienates our allies (Poland, Czech Republic) by conceding to the Russians. Good idea or bad? Obama chooses not to meet with the Dali Lama (which one would think would have the left in a melt-down) to make the Chinese happy (good move sisnce we borrowed a coupla trillion dollars from the in the last few months). And you are correct. Obama has forgotten about Al Qaida.

He is certainly different than GWB, no doubt.

Scott SoCal said:
Obama alienates our allies (Poland, Czech Republic) by conceding to the Russians. Good idea or bad? Obama chooses not to meet with the Dali Lama (which one would think would have the left in a melt-down) to make the Chinese happy (good move sisnce we borrowed a coupla trillion dollars from the in the last few months). And you are correct. Obama has forgotten about Al Qaida.
Obama has forgotten about Al QaidaHe is certainly different than GWB, no doubt.

Yeah, thats why he is trying to decide what to do about Afghanistan, you remember that place that Bin Laden is supposedly hiding in, which Bush forgot all about in his efforts to wipe out daddy's tormentor in Iraq and get us mired in another police action war.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Scott SoCal said:
The profit motive is one of the building blocks of capitalism. If you remove that motive, our system will fail (you may argue that to be a good thing).

a quick read;

http://www.heartland.org/policybot/results/24023/Drug_Industry_Profits_Are_Good_for_Everybody.html

"Profit Is Motive

Despite the proven benefits, drug industry profits are increasingly under fire by those who paradoxically preach the solution to lower costs and greater consumer access to prescriptions is to limit Big Pharma’s profit margins. Such measures have a proven history of strangling new development and significantly rationing new treatment options."

"While critics chant greed, the greater public good results from the higher quality and competitive costs created by encouraging drug industry innovation, growth, and production."

This article speaks specifically about drug production by the pharma's, but the motive applies to every product or service.

Profiting from human pain and suffering is IMHO immoral and I find it abhorrent. Health care is a basic human need and shouldn't be profited on like it is an iPhone.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Let's see. GWB's initial offering....

**** off Russians
**** off Chinese
Forget about Al Qaida

I thought that Clinton had issues with Al Quaida when he went after the medicine factories in Afghanistan - I am pretty sure the Kennedy irritated the Russians during the Cuban missile crisis (I know this is going to be considered ancient history but the principle is the same).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS