World Politics

Page 292 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2010
2,410
0
0
The way I look at it is..Big oil, the military industrial complex, the health care industry and wall street could have and do anything they wanted while W Bush was president. What they put in place mostly during Bush's 2 terms was to be able to keep on getting what they want. Without disrupting hardly any of the power structures in oil, the MIC, healthcare or the banking industry Obama is opposed by the Republicans on EVERYTHING. Maintain the status quo, conservatism..suspend in place.,go backwards, do nothing, say NO.
 
Mar 21, 2011
77
0
0
Hugh Januss said:
True, but try to picture where we would be with President McCain and Vice-President Twit.
All we seem to get is a choice between bad and awful.
But awful might have the left leaning rebels out in the street marching for reforms and shutting the government down.:eek:

Now a right wing POTUS is seen as a socialist.
 
Jul 9, 2009
7,026
0
0
patricknd said:
hillary was my choice. even if i didn't agree with some things she said, i felt like she had more integrity than any of the other choices, and as i get older, i value that more than anything else.
I think Hillary would do a better job of standing up to the Repubs. I don't think Obama lacks integrity, I do think that it is his race which unites the right wing in lockstep against him, much more than any actual policy, because to be honest he hasn't tried anything at all new or different.
 
Jul 9, 2009
7,026
0
0
L29205 said:
In reference to the bolded part, I believe a simple progressive tax with no deductions would be the best. If you made x amount pay y amount base on the charts. That is it. It would reduce fraud and simplify filing.
Then we would have a lot of out of work CPAs to deal with.;)
 
Back to being inspired by Paul Tsongas. If you look back to what he was talking about, both Clinton and Ross Perot absorbed many of his ideas. The only ones we didn't take on were his desires to have Medicare and Medicaid overhauled, with both Medicare and Social Security means tested on a scaled basis in order to benefit long term budgeting and solvency in them. If we had done what he suggested 20 years ago now...

If it's integrity, in the last election I found Mike Gravel to be of fairly high integrity. Not a great speaker, or idealist, but when he talked you could tell he was saying exactly what he believed. Ron Paul is a lot like that. Same with Dennis Kucinich. Yeah, I know, the crazies. Guys with zero party support.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
1
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
Back to being inspired by Paul Tsongas. If you look back to what he was talking about, both Clinton and Ross Perot absorbed many of his ideas. The only ones we didn't take on were his desires to have Medicare and Medicaid overhauled, with both Medicare and Social Security means tested on a scaled basis in order to benefit long term budgeting and solvency in them. If we had done what he suggested 20 years ago now...

If it's integrity, in the last election I found Mike Gravel to be of fairly high integrity. Not a great speaker, or idealist, but when he talked you could tell he was saying exactly what he believed. Ron Paul is a lot like that. Same with Dennis Kucinich. Yeah, I know, the crazies. Guys with zero party support.
Bill Clinton or his wife Hillary would have done major good for the country during these past 8 years. Ron Paul is rejected by the republican party. They think his ideas are Half Baked. I thought SOME of his ideas were great.../ok
 
May 23, 2010
2,410
0
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
Back to being inspired by Paul Tsongas. If you look back to what he was talking about, both Clinton and Ross Perot absorbed many of his ideas. The only ones we didn't take on were his desires to have Medicare and Medicaid overhauled, with both Medicare and Social Security means tested on a scaled basis in order to benefit long term budgeting and solvency in them. If we had done what he suggested 20 years ago now...

If it's integrity, in the last election I found Mike Gravel to be of fairly high integrity. Not a great speaker, or idealist, but when he talked you could tell he was saying exactly what he believed. Ron Paul is a lot like that. Same with Dennis Kucinich. Yeah, I know, the crazies. Guys with zero party support.
Ron Paul integrity? I can't think of anything I'd want him in charge of..

http://current.com/news/91806520_ron-pauls-racist-quotes.htm
 
Mar 17, 2009
2,295
0
0
Hugh Januss said:
I think Hillary would do a better job of standing up to the Repubs. I don't think Obama lacks integrity, I do think that it is his race which unites the right wing in lockstep against him, much more than any actual policy, because to be honest he hasn't tried anything at all new or different.
i always wonder how much has to do with his age. to a 68 year old he's just a damn smart *** kid. i think he needs more gray in the hair, but i agree about the race issue.

i'm pretty disappointed with his failure to close guantanamo. i really had high hopes that he would follow through on that one. i know most people seem to disagree but i just don't believe that our safety is worth denying basic human rights to anyone.
 
Mar 17, 2009
2,295
0
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
Back to being inspired by Paul Tsongas. If you look back to what he was talking about, both Clinton and Ross Perot absorbed many of his ideas. The only ones we didn't take on were his desires to have Medicare and Medicaid overhauled, with both Medicare and Social Security means tested on a scaled basis in order to benefit long term budgeting and solvency in them. If we had done what he suggested 20 years ago now...

If it's integrity, in the last election I found Mike Gravel to be of fairly high integrity. Not a great speaker, or idealist, but when he talked you could tell he was saying exactly what he believed. Ron Paul is a lot like that. Same with Dennis Kucinich. Yeah, I know, the crazies. Guys with zero party support.
i was in the army at the time and when i talked up Tsongas everybody looked at me like i had leprosy. :D

http://www.musicfrisk.com/acalltoeconomicarmsbyPaulTsongas.php
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
1
0
patricknd said:
i was in the army at the time and when i talked up Tsongas everybody looked at me like i had leprosy. :D

http://www.musicfrisk.com/acalltoeconomicarmsbyPaulTsongas.php
Oh man ... I knew there was a reason I did not like you!:rolleyes:

Army dawgs. who knew! hehe

When I was in the USMC ..... uhh I had a choice to vote for????? Bill Clinton / George Bush / Ross PARROT.

Guess what I did? :)
This should give you an idea....even it meant a pay cut... I voted for the dope smoker,,,,William Jefferson.. why . I thought the country needed a change of pace some balance.

Read the book Jarhead by Anthony Swofford. I was the .....**** disturber... A guy who had 2 and a half years of college..joins the USMC as a O311 which is basically a 1369 in USMC MOS speak. WAR for OIL dawgs... I can not tell you how many times I was told ...Lance Corporal Wilson STFU..... with that dissension ****! LMAO... even then I could not get along like Hugh refers...
 
Mar 17, 2009
2,295
0
0
Glenn_Wilson said:
Oh man ... I knew there was a reason I did not like you!:rolleyes:

Army dawgs. who knew! hehe

When I was in the USMC ..... uhh I had a choice to vote for????? Bill Clinton / George Bush / Ross PARROT.

Guess what I did? :)
This should give you an idea....even it meant a pay cut... I voted for the dope smoker,,,,William Jefferson.. why . I thought the country needed a change of pace some balance.

Read the book Jarhead by Anthony Swofford. I was the .....**** disturber... A guy who had 2 and a half years of college..joins the USMC as a O311 which is basically a 1369 in USMC MOS speak. WAR for OIL dawgs... I can not tell you how many times I was told ...Lance Corporal Wilson STFU..... with that dissension ****! LMAO... even then I could not get along like Hugh refers...
i was a short timer when clinton got elected and within 2 weeks there was a petition circulating the battalion against lifting the ban on gays in the military. i laughed my *** off and refused to sign. when they asked me why i told them i like my paycheck and division finance office is at least 1/3 gay and i didn't give a **** what they did as long as i got my check every 2 weeks. i wasn't exactly mr. popularity after that, but **** em and feed em chinaberries i say.

i was an outstanding soldier for 2 years, but unfortunately i enlisted for 4, so....
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
1
0
patricknd said:
i was a short timer when clinton got elected and within 2 weeks there was a petition circulating the battalion against lifting the ban on gays in the military. i laughed my *** off and refused to sign. when they asked me why i told them i like my paycheck and division finance office is at least 1/3 gay and i didn't give a **** what they did as long as i got my check every 2 weeks. i wasn't exactly mr. popularity after that, but **** em and feed em chinaberries i say.

i was an outstanding soldier for 2 years, but unfortunately i enlisted for 4, so....
During the time you got the petition I probably was receiving the "ALMAR" All marine activities. This message basically stated. "any and all jokes / comics with regards to the Commander and Chief is to stop immediately." I thought I had seen alot but the amount of BS jokes you would hear even in the force that is tasked with his protection was unbelievable. Presidents require the military respect regardless of political views. There is a seperation. We are serving the country and the Commander and Chief NO MATTER YOUR Personal political views.

I guarantee you that Redtreviso and Rubbromers will go ape **** / bat **** over our posts. They will probably LOSE their collective enlightened minds. (ummm that is joke and sarcasm just in the case it is lost on you two.):D

Oh and about your other 2 years of contractual active duty service.....YOU **** BIRD! hehe
 
Mar 17, 2009
2,295
0
0
Glenn_Wilson said:
During the time you got the petition I probably was receiving the "ALMAR" All marine activities. This message basically stated. "any and all jokes / comics with regards to the Commander and Chief is to stop immediately." I thought I had seen alot but the amount of BS jokes you would hear even in the force that is tasked with his protection was unbelievable. Presidents require the military respect regardless of political views. There is a seperation. We are serving the country and the Commander and Chief NO MATTER YOUR Personal political views.

I guarantee you that Redtreviso and Rubbromers will go ape **** / bat **** over our posts. They will probably LOSE their collective enlightened minds. (ummm that is joke and sarcasm just in the case it is lost on you two.):D

Oh and about your other 2 years of contractual active duty service.....YOU **** BIRD! hehe

i did my 4 active and fled, no reserve or guard time for me. my last 6 months i was on special duty at headquarters commandant working nights, in civies, supervising the division duty company cleaning crew and doing building maintenance. i worked for the chief of staff (bird colonel) and he loved me cause i once painted for 48 hours straight getting ready for a change of command ceremony. no p.t. tests, i shaved once a week and had hair halfway over my ears. my buddies hated me. it was great.
 
Jul 9, 2009
7,026
0
0
patricknd said:
i did my 4 active and fled, no reserve or guard time for me. my last 6 months i was on special duty at headquarters commandant working nights, in civies, supervising the division duty company cleaning crew and doing building maintenance. i worked for the chief of staff (bird colonel) and he loved me cause i once painted for 48 hours straight getting ready for a change of command ceremony. no p.t. tests, i shaved once a week and had hair halfway over my ears. my buddies hated me. it was great.
I couldn't hack the level of discipline that being in the Boy Scouts required. I like hangin' with the dudes, but I could not imagine 24/7. You are better men than I.;)
 
May 23, 2010
2,410
0
0
Glenn_Wilson said:
During the time you got the petition I probably was receiving the "ALMAR" All marine activities. This message basically stated. "any and all jokes / comics with regards to the Commander and Chief is to stop immediately." I thought I had seen alot but the amount of BS jokes you would hear even in the force that is tasked with his protection was unbelievable. Presidents require the military respect regardless of political views. There is a seperation. We are serving the country and the Commander and Chief NO MATTER YOUR Personal political views.

I guarantee you that Redtreviso and Rubbromers will go ape **** / bat **** over our posts. They will probably LOSE their collective enlightened minds. (ummm that is joke and sarcasm just in the case it is lost on you two.):D

Oh and about your other 2 years of contractual active duty service.....YOU **** BIRD! hehe
I see that the both of you are the children of Reagan..The stupid generation..
You grew up on "our dearest leader" and believed it..Reagan could have eaten baby brains out of an infant's head on live TV and Joan Lunden would have gushed about how wonderful he is..
 
Jul 9, 2009
7,026
0
0
redtreviso said:
I see that the both of you are the children of Reagan..The stupid generation..
You grew up on "our dearest leader" and believed it..Reagan could have eaten baby brains out of an infant's head on live TV and Joan Lunden would have gushed about how wonderful he is..
You need a big cup of Lighten The **** Up.:cool:
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
1
0
redtreviso said:
I see that the both of you are the children of Reagan..The stupid generation..
You grew up on "our dearest leader" and believed it..Reagan could have eaten baby brains out of an infant's head on live TV and Joan Lunden would have gushed about how wonderful he is..
:D That is the redtreviso I was expecting. :p Not really a Reagan fan. I was more the Carter guy. But hey since It makes you feel better to try and beat me up,,,,I am game.

Dude your post made me spit out my Coca-Cola.

That **** goes for Texas also. As I said. We have sooooooo many ticket pullers that if Osama ran as a Judge on a republican ticket and boom elected. No one would know WTF had happened. LMAO:D
 
Mar 17, 2009
2,295
0
0
redtreviso said:
I see that the both of you are the children of Reagan..The stupid generation..
You grew up on "our dearest leader" and believed it..Reagan could have eaten baby brains out of an infant's head on live TV and Joan Lunden would have gushed about how wonderful he is..
i actually did eat baby brains from the skull, but never on t.v.

after all, i'm not an animal. i support family values, and that's not appropriate viewing for children.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
1
0
Hugh Januss said:
You need a big cup of Lighten The **** Up.:cool:
Hugh,,,, You need to understand that dude is sitting on the top of a Giant Natural Gas Bomb and watching FoxNews while listening to podcasts of Rush! I would be geared tight / CLEARED HOT also! :D
 
My cousin was a Commander in the US Navy, I think a Lt. Commander back in 1992 when the gays in the military topic came up. I (naively) asked him if he thought they should let gays in, and he laughed, "they're already there!" Several years later I asked him about the whole don't ask don't tell thing. He got a pretty good laugh out of that too.

My dad had been a drill sergeant in the Army before I was born. I had all the discipline I needed growing up, and didn't need to join the service for anything. He didn't push me one bit to do so either.
 
May 23, 2010
2,410
0
0
Glenn_Wilson said:
Hugh,,,, You need to understand that dude is sitting on the top of a Giant Natural Gas Bomb and watching FoxNews while listening to podcasts of Rush! I would be geared tight / CLEARED HOT also! :D
You just can't help it..They must have the streets wired with a direct feed from Rush and Beck and it just soaks in through osmosis..At least you try to deny it.

The gas bomb is 8000 ft down.Those diesel generators running 24/7 are sure annoying though.. 600ft is the law and the one I hear is over a mile away..
 
May 23, 2010
2,410
0
0
Glenn_Wilson said:
During the time you got the petition I probably was receiving the "ALMAR" All marine activities. This message basically stated. "any and all jokes / comics with regards to the Commander and Chief is to stop immediately." I thought I had seen alot but the amount of BS jokes you would hear even in the force that is tasked with his protection was unbelievable. Presidents require the military respect regardless of political views. There is a seperation. We are serving the country and the Commander and Chief NO MATTER YOUR Personal political views.

I guarantee you that Redtreviso and Rubbromers will go ape **** / bat **** over our posts. They will probably LOSE their collective enlightened minds. (ummm that is joke and sarcasm just in the case it is lost on you two.):D

Oh and about your other 2 years of contractual active duty service.....YOU **** BIRD! hehe
Gays are a threat to the morality of the military..bwaahhhhhhaaaaaaaaa
"back in my day bla bla blah weep weep weep"

 
Thanks for that link to Tsongas and his call for Economic Arms. He was indeed railroaded by his own party, not just Ron Brown (who was later rewarded to Commerce Secretary) but Harold Ickes, Tony Coelho and the money machine of the Democratic Party.

Tsongas widow, Niki is now in the US House of Representatives.

Finally got around to reading those Limbaugh comments on "Club G'itmo, the Muslim resort". What a gasbag.
 
Dec 7, 2010
8,773
1
0
Alpe d'Huez said:
My cousin was a Commander in the US Navy, I think a Lt. Commander back in 1992 when the gays in the military topic came up. I (naively) asked him if he thought they should let gays in, and he laughed, "they're already there!" Several years later I asked him about the whole don't ask don't tell thing. He got a pretty good laugh out of that too.

My dad had been a drill sergeant in the Army before I was born. I had all the discipline I needed growing up, and didn't need to join the service for anything. He didn't push me one bit to do so either.
I have the same advise to anyone in my family or small circle of friends that the military should be your very last option. Education is #1. I would never want my daughter to join any branch of the US military.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MarieDGarzai Non-Cycling Discussions 2
S Non-Cycling Discussions 12

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS