• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Politics

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what was said when the award was announced:

"The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009 is to be awarded to President Barack Obama for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.

"Obama has as President created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts. The vision of a world free from nuclear arms has powerfully stimulated disarmament and arms control negotiations. Thanks to Obama's initiative, the USA is now playing a more constructive role in meeting the great climatic challenges the world is confronting. Democracy and human rights are to be strengthened.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future. His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population.

"For 108 years, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has sought to stimulate precisely that international policy and those attitudes for which Obama is now the world's leading spokesman. The Committee endorses Obama's appeal that 'Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges.'"

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Pub I think you are talking about the bright future the Barrackster told you about. He did not close Gitmo. He could have done it with a pen in the middle of the night, He has nowhere to put the prisoners...oops. The TARP funds were and are a joke he says the whole system was on the brink but the rats scurry to give back his money without so much as a dollar in vig.So far his version of stimulus cash is to shore up unemployment all over, cash for clunkers, it put more cars made outside the US on the road than in the 14 months before the program. I am sure the workers at Kia and Hyundia are happy why wouldn't they be.He controls the government,but even his own party won't vote with him because it will cook their careers. You even added a million to my number 47 million people,living in the US need health care, but he has you saying it also, They are all not Americans and he has frightened the blue hairs all over the country into some us and them thing. People need access to affordable care for themselves and their families he postured and caved to the right .Now he can't bring it up as a human right because some in his party and all in the other party have us debating immigration and health care at the same time as the same subject. It was a civil rights issue but he let the right dehumanize all the undocumented workers to ensure they can't be included..oops. Everybody means everybody he blew it plain and simple. Watch any town hall duke out and the illegal alien rant starts within 20 minutes. Those Taliban sun seekers he bought into Bermuda are having a good time ,maybe all the freedom fighters need a trip to the beach instead of water boarding. You are right,% wise my taxes didn't go up, my income went down all my insurances(car,biz,health) went up by 3%. And my local sales tax went up by .5%.if BO went on vacation for his 3 year balance things wouldn't be any worse. Wait till he tells you that the youth crime/murder rate will go down if we just invest in after school programs,lets say 100 million dollars worth. This guy spends it like a drunk sailor.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
I wasn't acting like anything. I said he wasn't responsible for the current economic situation. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. I was explaining why he has had to spend so much money (or seek authorization to spend so much money). Nothing more. As for the timing of the funds, the tax breaks are already flowing through your paychecks (reduction in payroll taxes), but you are right the bulk of the stimulus money hasn't come out. I'd go through the reasons why, but given your hostility on the subject it seems it would be an exercise in futility.

First I've heard of the Administration directing the Fed not to spend stimulus dollars. The stimulus dollars were awarded to states in the form of direct aid, extended unemployment benefits, payroll tax breaks, and infrastructure projects (the bulk of which aren't in place). Where would the Federal Reserve fit into that equation? The Fed oversees Banks, not the general economy.

My concept of governing isn't about take overs, nor is it President Obama's. It's not like GM and Chrysler were fine until January 20, 2009, and then subsequently tanked thereafter. Billions had been pumped into those two entities by President Bush. We were, as a nation, already going down with those ships. At least we can participate in any upside going forward. When life gives you lemons, you have to make lemonade.

I agree with you that bi-partisanship has been dead for a while, but I would peg it's death at Clinton (Reagan was fairly well received and loved by the nation, I know I was a big fan even if I was way too young to vote)--specifically with the rise of Newt Gingrich. That being said, I'm not sure if that is something to be celebrated. It's a tragedy in my book.

As for President Bush, the only question about his legitimacy had to do with a vote count in Florida and the Supreme Court's rather odd ruling on the matter (they declared it had no precedential value, which is virtually unheard of). Once he was president, he was president. And after 9/11, he had the entire nation behind him. He worked pretty hard at screwing that up. But he did it.

My side didn't tell you anything about Obama being a post-racial anything. Media pundits would like it to be that way, but no one on "my side" suggested that was anything more than a fantasy. But I'd be curious, what is my side?

I going to back up a little here. I get the impression you think I'm attacking you and I'm not. Just a good old fashioned argument like I have with my brother.

It's obvious we disagree on politics but then I tend not to agree with many people. I'm on an island :D

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Always remember,the president is just a figurehead.$$$$$$ controls all.A sitting president has little control,no one person can solve the countries ills.Most policy decisions are cooked up by his advisors.He enacts what they suggest,checks the polls and either takes credit if it works or blames someone else if it fails.Its all a big game.The trick is to get in the loop,but its such a small group unless your born with the proverbial silver spoon and silver tongue your doomed to be in the mass class.Bread and games,bread and games.Check your history.:rolleyes:

Scott SoCal said:
I going to back up a little here. I get the impression you think I'm attacking you and I'm not. Just a good old fashioned argument like I have with my brother.

It's obvious we disagree on politics but then I tend not to agree with many people. I'm on an island :D

I'm very use to the back and forth on these types of issues, so no I wasn't taking it personal.

:)

fatandfast said:
Pub I think you are talking about the bright future the Barrackster told you about. He did not close Gitmo. He could have done it with a pen in the middle of the night, He has nowhere to put the prisoners...oops. The TARP funds were and are a joke he says the whole system was on the brink but the rats scurry to give back his money without so much as a dollar in vig.So far his version of stimulus cash is to shore up unemployment all over, cash for clunkers, it put more cars made outside the US on the road than in the 14 months before the program. I am sure the workers at Kia and Hyundia are happy why wouldn't they be.He controls the government,but even his own party won't vote with him because it will cook their careers. You even added a million to my number 47 million people,living in the US need health care, but he has you saying it also, They are all not Americans and he has frightened the blue hairs all over the country into some us and them thing. People need access to affordable care for themselves and their families he postured and caved to the right .Now he can't bring it up as a human right because some in his party and all in the other party have us debating immigration and health care at the same time as the same subject. It was a civil rights issue but he let the right dehumanize all the undocumented workers to ensure they can't be included..oops. Everybody means everybody he blew it plain and simple. Watch any town hall duke out and the illegal alien rant starts within 20 minutes. Those Taliban sun seekers he bought into Bermuda are having a good time ,maybe all the freedom fighters need a trip to the beach instead of water boarding. You are right,% wise my taxes didn't go up, my income went down all my insurances(car,biz,health) went up by 3%. And my local sales tax went up by .5%.if BO went on vacation for his 3 year balance things wouldn't be any worse. Wait till he tells you that the youth crime/murder rate will go down if we just invest in after school programs,lets say 100 million dollars worth. This guy spends it like a drunk sailor.

Sounds like your problem isn't with President Obama. You've just directed all of your angst at him. Well, good luck with that.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
I thought giving Gore a Nobel Peace Prize for raising awareness of global warming was a total joke, but this is even worse. What happened to giving awards for actual accomplishments?

I think this sort of thing cheapens all Nobel prizes.

I dunno... esteemed company the likes of Al Gore, Jimmy Carter... Yasser Arafat :eek:

Scott SoCal said:
I dunno... esteemed company the likes of Al Gore, Jimmy Carter... Yasser Arafat :eek:

You always know when someone's knock against Arafat winning the Nobel Peace prize is bogus when they don't mention that Arafat shared the prize with Peres and Rabin. Rabin's duties during the six day war included committing war crimes by ethnicly cleansing villages of their arab population.

BroDeal said:
You always know when someone's knock against Arafat winning the Nobel Peace prize is bogus when they don't mention that Arafat shared the prize with Peres and Rabin. Rabin's duties during the six day war included committing war crimes by ethnicly cleansing villages of their arab population.

+1 :) There are no angels in that conflict.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Obama's abandonment of the star wars program is enough to inspire this award. I wouldn't be so quick to say that he hasn't done anything yet.

first i do not think anyone here got a vote on the prize.
second, why is it bad? he is just trying to undo 8 years
of "old europe" policy. among other things. and closing gitmo,
is a big can of worms. i say good on president obama.
as a us citizen i think it is cool. it seems he was not expecting it.:)

usedtobefast said:
first i do not think anyone here got a vote on the prize.
second, why is it bad? he is just trying to undo 8 years
of "old europe" policy. among other things. and closing gitmo,
is a big can of worms. i say good on president obama.
as a us citizen i think it is cool. it seems he was not expecting it.:)

Politically I would say it is bad because it reinforces the meme that he is an empty suit.

He should be fairly embarrassed to accept the prize. Given that he has not accomplished anything of what many who voted him expected, namely closing gitmo, getting out of Iraq, ratcheting down the situation in Iran, going after those who violated American citizens' Constitutional rights, bringing torturers to justice, etc., it makes the award a bit of a joke.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Pub you still missed it, the health care thing is every 4 years,shoot your load or come out with a bad start and it's four more years of do over. Peace prizes for anybody are great and BO deserves one as much as anybody. Not my point. He had a great view and an even better agenda. How could a stand out from Harvard step in **** every time he lifted his foot. The guy can't even comment on a routine arrest without a racial beer summit.He is spent, no arm casts without ID and 3000 dollars for 3 years,good job Barrack.Nobody's that angry just not covered. The guy should be a visionary but only a couple feet in front of his face.Like every other math test save the hard ones for last. He is a great man and has good intentions.He won an election not a country.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
There is a long list of people who are awarded this prize on the basis of voicing their philosophy to change public perception with little else in tangible achievement. Like him or not, he has the pulse of lots of people around the world.

BroDeal said:
Politically I would say it is bad because it reinforces the meme that he is an empty suit.

He should be fairly embarrassed to accept the prize. Given that he has not accomplished anything of what many who voted him expected, namely closing gitmo, getting out of Iraq, ratcheting down the situation in Iran, going after those who violated American citizens' Constitutional rights, bringing torturers to justice, etc., it makes the award a bit of a joke.

Nothing empty about him or his suit. That has been the most insulting thing I've heard repeated. First African-American Law Review Editor at Harvard Law School. He's written two best selling books (not ghost written, but written). He's former US Senator. Now he's President of the United States and handling it quite well from all indications. But some how he's an empty suit. WTF. :confused:

And I don't need to remind you he's been in office all of 9 months. If he hasn't accomplished what he said he would in 2011, then he will be voted out of office in 2012. That's why we have elections. Anyone who thought he would been done with all that is on his plate by now either weren't paying attention during the election or is one his detractors.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Pub again brings up lot of valid gold. Books and Law school accomplishments. All is good don't wait til 2011 to find out the boat is headed for Gilligan's Isle. This guy is a genius and could edit any law review I ever write. He can't deal with money or terrorists. Other than that he is golden.20 % done and things are on fire.Lets give him 40% before we call the dept.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:

I was attempting to point out the corruption of the nominating body. You did it better than me.

A

Anonymous

fatandfast said:
Pub you still missed it, the health care thing is every 4 years,shoot your load or come out with a bad start and it's four more years of do over. Peace prizes for anybody are great and BO deserves one as much as anybody. Not my point. He had a great view and an even better agenda. How could a stand out from Harvard step in **** every time he lifted his foot. The guy can't even comment on a routine arrest without a racial beer summit.He is spent, no arm casts without ID and 3000 dollars for 3 years,good job Barrack.Nobody's that angry just not covered. The guy should be a visionary but only a couple feet in front of his face.Like every other math test save the hard ones for last. He is a great man and has good intentions.He won an election not a country.

Which in this world, sadly, is all that really matters.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I believe this year's nobel prize award to Obama has more to do with Norwegian domestic politics than anything else. Let me explain a little:

At present, Norway is governed by the DNA (labor), the prime minister is Stoltenberg. The previous government was a center right-ish (for Norway) government by Bondevik who ousted Jagland (the boss of the last labor government). Now, Clinton visited Norway during the Bondevik years, and Bondevik is on record saying that Clinton's visit was one of the finest days of his government. I believe that the leader of the Nobel Prize committee (Jagland) would like to "gift" his labor successor (Stoltenberg) a similar event. But they had to wait until the vastly unpopular Bush the lesser had left office. Now the Obama visit is probably going to be even more popular than the Clinton visit, so it's mission accomplished.

Anyway, that's what I suspect. You won't hear it anywhere else, because everybody will assume when the US president gets the prize, it's about the US, not Norway. I beg to differ.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
There is an article by the former President of the Norwegian Nobel Committee that touches on the subject. Choosing Obama seems quite in line with the prize's intentions. Whether this is actually helpful for the cause of world peace is an entirely different matter.

As the 1937 decision shows, political problems could arise if the award of the Peace Prize was seen as an official Norwegian act. The practice of appointing prominent members of the Storting to the committee continued nonetheless - right up to the dramatic year 1973, when Henry Kissinger and Le Duc Tho were awarded the Peace Prize for their contributions to the peace negotiations in Vietnam. [...]

I have cited the general clause in Nobel's will saying that the prizes should be given to those who "in the preceding year have conferred the greatest benefit on makind." With regard to the Peace Prize, Nobel defined this as having "done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies, and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses." The most difficult stipulation to live up to has undoubtedly been "in the preceding year." This is now understood to indicate the most recent contributions in the various cultural fields to which the will refers. Where the Peace Prize is concerned, the wording has been seen as opening up opportunities to engage in processes which have not yet reached a conclusion, but where there has been clear evidence of progress, as in the democratisation process in South Africa or the peace process in the Middle East, for which the Peace Prizes were awarded in 1993 and 1994. The Prize awarded in 1998 to John Hume and David Trimble of Northern Ireland can be seen in the same light. The Prize, in other words, is not only for past achievement, although that is the most important criterion. The committee also takes the possible positive effects of its choices into account. Among the reasons for adding this as a criterion is the obvious point that Nobel wanted the Prize to have political effects. Awarding a Peace Prize is, to put it bluntly, a political act – which is also the reason why the choices so often stir up controversy. http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/articles/sejersted/index.html

The Nobel Peace Prize: From Peace Negotiations to Human Rights, Francis Sejersted. Chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Commitee, 1991-1999, 26 April 2001

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Cookie Crumbler said:
There is an article by the former President of the Norwegian Nobel Committee that touches on the subject. Choosing Obama seems quite in line with the prize's intentions. Whether this is actually helpful for the cause of world peace is an entirely different matter.

It is undeniable that the Obama presidency lets the world see the US in a much better light. To mention just one: relations with Russia have certainly improved recently.

I do not think this is undeserved.

Now, that said, I hope Obama will donate the prize money to ACORN, just to make a few heads explode, literally.

A

Anonymous

Cobblestones said:
It is undeniable that the Obama presidency lets the world see the US in a much better light. To mention just one: relations with Russia have certainly improved recently.

I do not think this is undeserved.

Now, that said, I hope Obama will donate the prize money to ACORN, just to make a few heads explode, literally.

Or maybe he could split it between ACORN and AIG, just to be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS