World Politics

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
1,834
0
0
Hugh Januss said:
That was mostly yesterday with that Ralph guy. It doesn't even matter who started it but it was not so good. It even got the thread locked for a few minutes until I think the mods realized they might have overreacted.
Yea, may have overracted...but when does it cross the line. I have not insulted anyone personally in this discussion that didn't threaten to kick my *** or call me names first. I am allowed to defend myself right? I stepped back yesterday and came back today. I believe things have been civil today.
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
.... and I think the stadium is actually paid off, but it doesn't bring in any revenue. So, either way they're going to have to spend millions of loonies to renovate or bring it down to rebuild.

I'm the one that locked this thread for about an hour until some of you cooled yer jets. Glad to see level heads have prevailed.
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,119
0
0
TRDean said:
I had not heard that yet...I guess I am glad..although I don't live in Chicago. I guess Rio got the bid?
Not yet, Madrid (?!?) and Rio are the finalists. Tokyo got thrown out in the second round, after Chicago.

Isn't Athens still pondering what to do with their 'over capacity' in gymnasiums, or artifical ponds for rowing events?

And London's construction budgets have doubled (?), partly due to the financial crisis?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Bala Verde said:
Not yet, Madrid (?!?) and Rio are the finalists. Tokyo got thrown out in the second round, after Chicago.

Isn't Athens still pondering what to do with their 'over capacity' in gymnasiums, or artifical ponds for rowing events?

And London's construction budgets have doubled (?), partly due to the financial crisis?
I guess the IOC said no to Hope and Change. They are a bunch of racist for not going with Obama on this.

keep it cool
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
Rio got it! CARNIVAL!!

Chicago 1st round dump. Oh well, those Rapha Continental guys that came through here to ride the perspective RR course had a good time though. It was just actually outside of Madison cuz they couldn't find any hills in Illinois.:D
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,119
0
0
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Rio got it! FESTIVAL!!

Chicago 1st round dump. Oh well, those Rapha Continental guys that came through here to ride the perspective RR course had a good time though. It was just actually outside of Madison cuz they couldn't find any hills in Illinois.:D
Yeah go to Rio for the hills....Carnival's on its way!

 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
Bala Verde said:
Yeah go to Rio for the hills....Carnival's on its way!
I went to Carnival 2000. It's tons of fun, but it smells like a$$ crack everywhere you walk. Hence the pic you posted. Easy on the eyes, but not the nose.;)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Bala Verde said:
I couple of weeks ago I read this article (dutch) in the newspaper. Apparently it's also available via CBS 60 minutes

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of this before, but it sort of says that an 'American developing organization' Remote Area Medical (RAM) which generally operates in Africa and the rest of the Americas, (has) set(s) up camps, currently near Wise, VA and another one soon near near Los Angeles, CA. They offer patients from poor, surrounding areas free (dental) treatment, because none of them can afford it. They show up a night in advance, beause the wait is so long, that you could easily miss the opportunity to receive treatment.

It strikes me as absurd that 'development' strategies and interventions, commonly thought to exist only in the poorest of the poorest countries, are deemed necesarry to support a fraction of the American population. It's what they commonly do in failed states, as part of post-conflict nation-building efforts or whenever a natural disaster occurs.
Do you remember Hurricane Katrina? I think a few things were exposed during that disaster. Anytime the "President" of Cuba has to offer AID to the USA seems a bit outa wack?
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
Riley Martin said:
Do you remember Hurricane Katrina? I think a few things were exposed during that disaster. Anytime the "President" of Cuba has to offer AID to the USA seems a bit outa wack?
Pfff. Yeah, really. Bush's plan of so called "aid" was to send in Blackwater mercenaries to stop the looting? For the love of Pete.:(
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Thoughtforfood said:
Very interesting post, and again, some days I do believe it might just work. Then I read the newspaper...I mean, people carry signs with images that depict Obama as Hitler. I am fairly certain on this, but I don't think Hitler rose to real power based on the idea of a public option.
Yeah I seem to remember similar signs and similar images when Bush part 2 was the president. I also remember a few dic-tattors refering to him as either hitler, Satan or both.



keep it cool
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Pfff. Yeah, really. Bush's plan of so called "aid" was to send in Blackwater mercenaries to stop the looting? For the love of Pete.:(
Umm I think you misunderstood my post. I was not disagreeing with him just noting that this organization setting up now is not any new really. Katrina showed the world what was going on in parts of our country for a long time.


BTW the real devastation from the Hurricane was about a 45 minute drive to the East of the Crescent City.



Keep it cool .
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
python said:
your post is full of good points and some striking ignorance. easy to google out: the us is way behind other industrially developed countries per gdp giving foreign aid. georgia? they got 500 million and started a war against another small ethnic minority. most likely with the us blessing and were criticized by the european union. most of the us foreign aid is politically motivated and focused on the middle east. it's this kind of ignorance that makes some (some!) Americans deaf to foreign experience. just sayin'


:eek:

nice stick around post somemore EU knowledge on us ingnorant folk.

keep it cool.
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
Riley Martin said:
Umm I think you misunderstood my post. I was not disagreeing with him just noting that this organization setting up now is not any new really. Katrina showed the world what was going on in parts of our country for a long time.
Nope, you misunderstood my post. I was seconding the thought. :cool:
 
Sep 25, 2009
6,983
0
0
Hugh Januss said:
Since you ask.....It means I think your "debating style" consists of short nonsensical statements structured more to try to get a rise out of folks than to present any sort of reasoned point of view. Is that any clearer?
hugh, you opened my eyes on this chap martin riley. you seem very perceptive and sharp. this chap is after a reaction not a content or a thought. he baits and wants to mock.
 
Jul 14, 2009
2,463
0
0
All people from AU and the UK should ask "what the **** is wrong with those crazy Americans?". The thing I find the funniest about the Obama/health care tread is 2 fold. First most people around the world assume we have good/cheap/free health care. 2nd Obama is the 5th or 6th Pres to bring this up I think we started this thread in @1907, by Teddie Roosevelt a Republican! and we still can't get it right. Now we are so distracted by the messenger that we can't hear the message. Abe Lincoln was a Republican!
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
fatandfast said:
All people from AU and the UK should ask "what the **** is wrong with those crazy Americans?". The thing I find the funniest about the Obama/health care tread is 2 fold. First most people around the world assume we have good/cheap/free health care. 2nd Obama is the 5th or 6th Pres to bring this up I think we started this thread in @1907, by Teddie Roosevelt a Republican! and we still can't get it right. Now we are so distracted by the messenger that we can't hear the message. Abe Lincoln was a Republican!
Good post, but... I'd have to say that most educated people living outside the US know more about us than the locals.

An unfortunate truth.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Riley Martin said:
Yeah I seem to remember similar signs and similar images when Bush part 2 was the president. I also remember a few dic-tattors refering to him as either hitler, Satan or both.



keep it cool
I didn't....................
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I just got back from "Capitalism: A Love Story." And I don't want to talk about this right now.
 
Mar 19, 2009
2,694
0
0
Thoughtforfood said:
I just got back from "Capitalism: A Love Story." And I don't want to talk about this right now.
Give us a review in the movie section. I think Mike Moore would be taken more seriously if he wasn't such a toad.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Thoughtforfood said:
I just got back from "Capitalism: A Love Story." And I don't want to talk about this right now.
I saw a soundbite the other day where Michael Moore was saying he is in the "irony" business. For a guy that loathes our economic engine he sure does pretty darn well by it. I'd guess he is as conflicted an individual as there ever has been.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Scott SoCal said:
I saw a soundbite the other day where Michael Moore was saying he is in the "irony" business. For a guy that loathes our economic engine he sure does pretty darn well by it. I'd guess he is as conflicted an individual as there ever has been.
Regardless, I think that you will be surprised by some things and say "Yep, bout what I expected" with others.

He does go into something I have been screaming for months, and that is the fact that with the bail out for banks, the people with real money and power took something they pay millions to convince you is evil. They have always relied on those with far less money to do their bidding in the voting booth. Unfortunately, they are VERY successful and when the time came for their gubment check, they lined up like a greasy crackwhore.

I am not with him on completely ending Capitalism. I do however believe his point of view needs to be heard. I am also certain that it will be ridiculed by people with real money, and that ridicule will take the form of propaganda and not factual refutation of any of the salient points of his documentary.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Give us a review in the movie section. I think Mike Moore would be taken more seriously if he wasn't such a toad.
It's jumbled and less focused than any of his other documentaries. Roger and Me will never be topped IMO. He has become less influential because of some of the liberties he has taken in his films. However, he is an important voice in many ways because too many "journalists" would rather take the easy way out (and keep their jobs) and avoid being too confrontational. Most just fake it these days. I honestly want to move to Germany.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Thoughtforfood said:
Regardless, I think that you will be surprised by some things and say "Yep, bout what I expected" with others.

He does go into something I have been screaming for months, and that is the fact that with the bail out for banks, the people with real money and power took something they pay millions to convince you is evil. They have always relied on those with far less money to do their bidding in the voting booth. Unfortunately, they are VERY successful and when the time came for their gubment check, they lined up like a greasy crackwhore.

I am not with him on completely ending Capitalism. I do however believe his point of view needs to be heard. I am also certain that it will be ridiculed by people with real money, and that ridicule will take the form of propaganda and not factual refutation of any of the salient points of his documentary.

There are many people who should be in prison over this financial crisis. Angelo Mozilo (Countrywide), Chris Cox (SEC Chair), Henry Paulson (Treasury), Hank Greenberg and Marty Sullivan (AIG), Chris Dodd and Barney Frank for starters. You could also include the A-Holes at JP Morgan/Chase as they basically torpedoed Washington Mutual which took out Wachovia... I mean this list is long and there are greasy corporate types and greasy politicians in the mix. Corrupt to the f'ing bone.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Scott SoCal said:
There are many people who should be in prison over this financial crisis. Angelo Mozilo (Countrywide), Chris Cox (SEC Chair), Henry Paulson (Treasury), Hank Greenberg and Marty Sullivan (AIG), Chris Dodd and Barney Frank for starters. You could also include the A-Holes at JP Morgan/Chase as they basically torpedoed Washington Mutual which took out Wachovia... I mean this list is long and there are greasy corporate types and greasy politicians in the mix. Corrupt to the f'ing bone.
I detest that tanned champion more than any. Unfortunately, I was in the industry, so far be it from me to talk about prison time for shady lending practices. I am still looking for ways to make up for that period of my life.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S General 4
Similar threads
2019 Rugby World Cup

ASK THE COMMUNITY