• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World tour likely to die in 2015

The Hitch said:
victory-baby-2.jpg

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:

Me encante ese bebe! Perfecto!

SafeBet said:
And what's gonna happen next? Does the article say anything about it?

Especulación, puro, basado en el WorldTour actualmente no tiene un mandato UCI pasado 2014. Aún así, me gustaría que ASO y RCS formaría su propia liga.

What replaces it is the biggest question. If Bakala's World Series becomes a reality, it will become a borefest.

Personally I wouldn't like divisions and various cycling leagues running concurrently. Hopefully all the parties can get together and forge a comprise and have one Tour/League with the UCI auspices.

Let's wait until we see what replaces it before we break out the Kool and the Gang.

If it's a bunch of four day races with a flat stage, a hilly stage, a mountain stage and an ITT like was mooted, then this will result in some fugly changes to the calendar.

I have a chaque that unless McQuaid and Hein go AND the UCI is no longer able to create and promote its own races and decide what races have what status OR tailor parcours to suit the riders managed by relatives of the upper echelons of management, this isn't going to be the great carnival we want.

I want race organisers to have more freedom to decide who they have at their races. I want races to stand on their own two feet, not have their status elevated by arbitrary or, worse, conspiratorial decisions designed to strangle those races the UCI can't milk for as much money in the audiences they have deliberately chosen to target for income (read: not France, Italy, Belgium or Spain, since those guys are already watching). I want races to have to prove they have some level of identity and bring something worthwhile to the sport before they get arbitrarily called more important than races like Paris-Tours or Omloop (I don't care if they get arbitrarily called more important than Scheldeprijs though).

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Good news unless it is replaced by this World Series thing or something similar. In which case, it becomes terrible news. Anyone seen the consultation website mentioned in the article?

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
janraaskalt said:
In English please.

SafeBet said:
He says he'd like UCI and RCS to build their own league/program, I guess.

In English please? My friend, have you ever heard the term, LMGTFY? Hehehe, the original is in Espanol, and I felt it might be appropriate to exercise our mouse fingers to navigate on over to the translator.

Oh - and since when does ASO = UCI ????

But anyway - this is speculation. Media dramatics, apparently basing it on the current World Tour or Series or whatever the UCI is currently calling it, having no plans or authorization beyond 2014. Towards the end, they talk about ASO and RCS being strong enough to get together and start their own cycling league. Which, at this point in time, I would welcome.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
World series won't succeed if ASO+RCS+flanders classic stay together against it, what sponsor ultimately care about is racing in the big events ( mainly the tour).
It's time for the organizers to step up and start managing the sport.

hiero2 said:
In English please? My friend, have you ever heard the term, LMGTFY? Hehehe, the original is in Espanol, and I felt it might be appropriate to exercise our mouse fingers to navigate on over to the translator.

Oh - and since when does ASO = UCI ????

But anyway - this is speculation. Media dramatics, apparently basing it on the current World Tour or Series or whatever the UCI is currently calling it, having no plans or authorization beyond 2014. Towards the end, they talk about ASO and RCS being strong enough to get together and start their own cycling league. Which, at this point in time, I would welcome.

yeah I meant aso of course. Guess it was clear anyway.
I don't get the rest of your post nor the acronym.

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
this, except that wt should only be 12-15 teams, no more. then it's perfect
I agree with you on that. I seem to remember that the first 7 teams on the world cup ranking had the right to participate on the biggest races, that imo was a good system cause the ranking could change throughout the season and teams were racing hard to stay in the top seven and also gave race organizers more choice on the teams to invite. I wouldn't mind a world tour with only 15 teams.

TRENDING THREADS