• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

World Tour Wildcards 2023

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fuglsang would like to do the Giro again next year, so seems like Israel is aiming for that wildcard at least

and according to Froome, they'll also do Tour Down Under ("I'll certainly start the season in January in Australia at the Tour Down Under")

Reactions: pastronef
and according to Froome, they'll also do Tour Down Under ("I'll certainly start the season in January in Australia at the Tour Down Under")
Interesting that Lotto Disny is not on the startlist for the TDU - I'd be staggered if they reject a wildcard with Ewan in the team who is always good for a stage win or two.

Isn't TDU known for never handing out Wildcards, apart from to a National Team with young Aussie kids? Or has there been a new rule stating that all WT races must at least hand out (pseudo-)wildcards to the top ProTeams?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
woulnd't be a shame. the start in Basque Country is worth a wild card. what did B&B did at the 2022 TDF for example? they were invited in any case.
cycling is about racing, but also about tourism and promotion, and ASO knows that very well
I dont think the Tour needs Euskaltel for tournament and promotion reasons. A very bad Euskaltel team does probably not make any difference for the cycling crazy basque fans that will be roadside in the Basque stages.
And for tourism reasons the same, a bad Euskaltel doesn’t make any difference for Basque region. The nature/images is what matters. If Euskaltel were good and could make a difference in the race it would be a nice factor, but they are not.

Which is a shame of course. I would’ve loved to see a Euskaltel team with Landa, Bilbao, Izaguirre brothers etc.

Reactions: Hansi
Isn't TDU known for never handing out Wildcards, apart from to a National Team with young Aussie kids? Or has there been a new rule stating that all WT races must at least hand out (pseudo-)wildcards to the top ProTeams?
sure, same as every other WT race, they must invite those teams. But they aren't forced to offer them the same conditions, of course. I guess usually the teams get additional hotel days for free, and maybe even a flight reimbursement. Without that, a trip to Australia is much less attractive, even with a wild card guaranteed.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Interesting that Lotto Disny is not on the startlist for the TDU - I'd be staggered if they reject a wildcard with Ewan in the team who is always good for a stage win or two.

Well technically there isn't any official start list of the TDU yet. No communication from Lotto's side either, but knowing that Lotto is planning its only trainingcamp in January (5-19) and TDU's history of not really wanting to many PCT teams there and them apparently inviting Israel, I'm also assuming they're not going (same with Total). They do indeed have Ewan and 2 other Australians and they have had good experiences there (+ with also the Evans race there's actually a lot of points at stake there), but it is very expensive for teams to go there for a few weeks (also why Alpecin didn't go in 2020) and Lotto's budget is smaller then everyone thinks right. It took a massive hit because of COVID and I'm pretty sure it got even worse with the relegation.

sure, same as every other WT race, they must invite those teams. But they aren't forced to offer them the same conditions, of course. I guess usually the teams get additional hotel days for free, and maybe even a flight reimbursement. Without that, a trip to Australia is much less attractive, even with a wild card guaranteed.

They only have to invite Total and Lotto, not Israel and they seem to be going. That is definitely a surprise cause like Dane says in the past they only gave some home teams a shot. I remember that it was because of financial reasons (as it is expensive for them to host teams). I'm assuming that Total and Lotto declined the invitation and they think it's worth financially to invite Israel with Froome.

There is always the option of placing Ewan in the Development team of young riders which usually gains a place in the TDU, although I hope it does not feel this way - It will be disappointing for Ewan and the TDU organizers if he does not ride because he is a marquee name at the event.

Tour
  1. Lotto - automatic
  2. Total - automatic
  3. Israel - won two stages this year, still have some big names. Should be in unless Adams have pissed off ASO too much.
  4. Uno-X - Should be the last WC after B&B collapsing.
  5. Euskaltel-Euskadi - only an option because the Tour starts in Basque country. (possibly not allowed if the new sporting criteria comes in)
  6. Q36,5 / Tudor - both teams could field teams that are okay by TdF wildcard status, but should be clearly behind Uno-X.
Looking good for the first Norwegian team now!

There is always the option of placing Ewan in the Development team of young riders which usually gains a place in the TDU, although I hope it does not feel this way - It will be disappointing for Ewan and the TDU organizers if he does not ride because he is a marquee name at the event.

According to Belgian press Ewan and Drizners will indeed participate at TDU and Cadel Evans Race with a selection of the Australian national team. So maybe not the best support for Ewan there, but he will be there atleast. Lotto refused the wildcard invitation because it's expensive to be there and they want as much riders possible at the January training camp.

If there is no rule change Ewans UCI points gattered there should still count for LTS btw.

According to Belgian press Ewan and Drizners will indeed participate at TDU and Cadel Evans Race with a selection of the Australian national team. So maybe not the best support for Ewan there, but he will be there atleast. Lotto refused the wildcard invitation because it's expensive to be there and they want as much riders possible at the January training camp.

If there is no rule change Ewans UCI points gattered there should still count for LTS btw.

It's disappointing that Ewan and Drizners are riding for the National Team which should be reserved for developing non WT riders - TDU subsides teams for travel to Australia, so finances should not be an issue - I think it's strange that Lotto does not support their marquee rider riding in their home races - Anyway, the Aussie National Team is usually competitive in the TDU and Ewan will have a decent support cast.

• Wow
TDU subsides teams for travel to Australia, so finances should not be an issue

TDU pays hotels, that's it. They can't do more cause they also don't have the money.
+ There is a whole week between TDU and Cadel Evans Race. Multiple DS have complained about how expensive the Australia part of the season is for them.

I get the developping young riders argument but Drizners basically still is one and I don't think it's bad for young riders to ride with a star like Ewan. Pretty sure that's also why Sweeny isn't riding (while he will ride nationals), 2 spots for the pros but not 3.

TDU pays hotels, that's it. They can't do more cause they also don't have the money.
+ There is a whole week between TDU and Cadel Evans Race. Multiple DS have complained about how expensive the Australia part of the season is for them.

I get the developping young riders argument but Drizners basically still is one and I don't think it's bad for young riders to ride with a star like Ewan. Pretty sure that's also why Sweeny isn't riding (while he will ride nationals), 2 spots for the pros but not 3.

The TDU is a well resourced because they have the backing of the South Australian Government and Santos as a sponsor kicks in lots of money - At the end of the day it's Lotto's decision BUT more importantly the organisers will be happy because Ewan is a marquee name for the TDU. I am interested in Ewan riding the National's as he can get around the course on a good day - Actually the National's could be a competitive race in 2023.

The TDU is a well resourced because they have the backing of the South Australian Government and Santos as a sponsor kicks in lots of money

A couple of years ago the race director confirmed that they don't hand out more wild cards for financial reasons, though, and the sponsors were the same back then.

So although you are are right that normally "TDU subsides teams for travel", we don't know if this would be the case for an additional PT as well. Flights for ~20 people + hotel, cars and food for 2-3 weeks can easily be EUR 100.000 per team. And all they'd need to pay by UCI rules are EUR 3.500 participation fee (instead of 8.500 for WT teams) and hotel costs for the duration of the race - so if that's what they offered Lotto, the trip to Australia would be very expensive indeed.

The TDU is a well resourced because they have the backing of the South Australian Government and Santos as a sponsor kicks in lots of money - At the end of the day it's Lotto's decision BUT more importantly the organisers will be happy because Ewan is a marquee name for the TDU. I am interested in Ewan riding the National's as he can get around the course on a good day - Actually the National's could be a competitive race in 2023.

I saw the National's course, I thought it looked a bit too hard for Ewan, definitely with the current state Australian cycling is in, with them having a lot of good riders that can get over a hill easily.

I saw the National's course, I thought it looked a bit too hard for Ewan, definitely with the current state Australian cycling is in, with them having a lot of good riders that can get over a hill easily.

Ewan previously came 2nd on the same course to Heinrich Haussler - It's the same venue and the same course for the Nationals every year - I'd be rapt for Ewan to win because he is worthy of the jersey - Doubt, Bike Exchange will feature unless they bring Bling.

Lotto will not do the Giro in 2023, nor Tirreno or Itzulia

• Wow
Giro
  1. Lotto - automatic
  2. Total - automatic (rumors says they will not take advantage of this)
  3. Eolo Kometa - The best italian team, 100% in.
  4. Israel - Sylvan Adams seems to have quite good connections with RCS. Could also send an interesting team with Nizzolo and good stage hunters.
  5. Q36,5 - The new DougRyder team has a strong italian connection and a better squad then Bardiani. (the top 50 in UCI ranking could be an issue for a new team)
  6. Bardiani - The second best Italian team, but their squad for next year doesn't look very exciting imo.
  7. Uno-X - Falls behind the italian / half-italian team. Seems to not have great connections with RCS. After B&B collapse TdF wild card looks good and they will then not send their best lineup to the Giro.
Great news for Q36,5 and Bardiani. If also Total declines the invitation as previously rumored it will be space for both.

TRENDING THREADS