• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worlds 2010 - Australia

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
I heard that next year's course in Australia was going to be pretty flat.

The melbourne worlds course is rather scenic for the first 100km out of melbourne with a few tiny bumps. There is 1 x 3km climb in Geelong circuit with some bits of 10 percent but shouldn't trouble anyone really. I know this as i will be there because i live in Melbourne. Keep you eyes peeled.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
The organiser's have acourse desription uphere, but it's pretty useless. Can't find a profile anywhere, but if I find the time I'll make one on bikemap.net. Can't imagine that the climbs will be very long, 1-2km at the longest, given that it's staying in Geelong.

Geelong is a huge city. the circuit is 15km long. The climb is right near the end of the course so it could make for a launch pad for somebody like Valverde to run away for the victory. Overall i think Cav could win on this course. Riders are only going to go over to melbourne if they seriously think they could win here because 20hours of travel is not worth it for a race they don't thinkt hey can win. Different situation if the worlds are in europe.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
auscyclefan94 said:
Geelong is a huge city. the circuit is 15km long. The climb is right near the end of the course so it could make for a launch pad for somebody like Valverde to run away for the victory.

I'll stand corrected on the length of the climb, but according to the officail description, which is vague at best, the climbs are early on in the lap, and the Melbourne to Geelong race is a separate event.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
I'll stand corrected on the length of the climb, but according to the officail description, which is vague at best, the climbs are early on in the lap, and the Melbourne to Geelong race is a separate event.

They start the worlds course at federation square. They go over the west gate bridge and then off to geelong for the circuits. it's all in the one event.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm under the impression that the (Aussie) race is going to go up the Hyland St. hill, is that what you are working on. That's easily the steppest hill in Geelong, but any professional who can't get up that should be shot. A sprinter will win next year.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Buninyong Bunny said:
I'm under the impression that the (Aussie) race is going to go up the Hyland St. hill, is that what you are working on. That's easily the steppest hill in Geelong, but any professional who can't get up that should be shot. A sprinter will win next year.

It goes up Queens Park Road which is a very very short wall, the more interesting thing is it crosses a narrow one lane bridge (where amazingly old fashion road etiquette manages to survive) at the bottom of the climb.

The course map is at
http://www.melbourne2010.com.au/default.aspx?s=the-course

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hoolaparara said:
It goes up Queens Park Road which is a very very short wall, the more interesting thing is it crosses a narrow one lane bridge (where amazingly old fashion road etiquette manages to survive) at the bottom of the climb.

The course map is at
http://www.melbourne2010.com.au/default.aspx?s=the-course

It is a gradual uphill sprint. The sprinters will have to time it right as they will still be there as it is flat.

A

Anonymous

ok.. just a thought.. can we put the 2010 worlds in a seperate thread.. this is gonna get confusing.. we started talking about this year, now we are tlaking about next year.

edit: wow.. pixies.. :D

Apr 23, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It is a gradual uphill sprint. The sprinters will have to time it right as they will still be there as it is flat.

Having lived and trained in Geelong for a large portion of my life, I will be very suprised if this ends in a sprint, I have ridden these hills often in training and the riders will make it hard enough that it will not be one for the sprinters.

Remember the Tour when the riders forced the split in the wind on a dead flat course, anything can happend......

Time will tell I guess.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Actually I don't think the sprint is very gradual at all. Moorabool St. is actually quite steep, and while it isn't a long climb in itself, it will prevent any sprinters from winning. Indeed I think the result will be quite simular to this year Stage 7 in the Tour, as while bumps do exist, they simply aren't long or steep enough for any real attack to be launched. So I reckon Hushovd would have to be the favourite for this course if he doesn't suffer a massive fall in form next season.

TRENDING THREADS