• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

world's cushiest prison

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mos...ersial-cushy-prison-experiment--catch-UK.html

Can a prison possibly justify treating its inmates with saunas, sunbeds and deckchairs if that prison has the lowest reoffending rate in Europe? Live reports from Norway on the penal system that runs contrary to all our instincts - but achieves everything we could wish for

Most probably agree that the current prison system/approach in the U.S. (and probably in most other parts of the world) is badly broken, but this…? It’s one thing to treat prisoners humanely, quite another to give them comforts that maybe a lot of law-abiding citizens can’t afford these days. I can see a lot of derelicts trying to get sent to a "jail" like this.

How about a boot camp attitude, where prisoners get pushed hard and constantly, but in a way that can make them tougher and more self-reliant? Where they live in harsh conditions, and have to learn basic outdoor survival skills? We all know--particularly maybe, fans of pro sports--that a very tough and demanding life, getting up early and spending long hours honing some skill, can pay huge dividends. You can't force such a life on ordinary citizens, but prisoners have already given up their freedom, why not force it on them? Seems to me most of them would come out of the experience grateful for it. Wouldn't it be preferable to being locked up in a cell for most of the day?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Merckx index said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/mos...ersial-cushy-prison-experiment--catch-UK.html

Most probably agree that the current prison system/approach in the U.S. (and probably in most other parts of the world) is badly broken, but this…? It’s one thing to treat prisoners humanely, quite another to give them comforts that maybe a lot of law-abiding citizens can’t afford these days. I can see a lot of derelicts trying to get sent to a "jail" like this.

How about a boot camp attitude, where prisoners get pushed hard and constantly, but in a way that can make them tougher and more self-reliant? Where they live in harsh conditions, and have to learn basic outdoor survival skills? We all know--particularly maybe, fans of pro sports--that a very tough and demanding life, getting up early and spending long hours honing some skill, can pay huge dividends. You can't force such a life on ordinary citizens, but prisoners have already given up their freedom, why not force it on them? Seems to me most of them would come out of the experience grateful for it. Wouldn't it be preferable to being locked up in a cell for most of the day?

I think deckchairs in Norway are less of a boon than you might think.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Merckx index said:

I draw the line at saunas. the sunbeds and deckchairs no problem but saunas?

The honour surely has to go to La Catedral, the prison where "never again" means that one never wants to leave rather than return.

99% of the world would kill to live there.

Unfortunately to live there it was like a 200 kill minimum.

It gets better.

It was built to house the biggest baddest most succesful criminal in history.

The Colombian government made a deal, or perhaps a better term would be peace treaty with Pablo Escobar that he would stop the war against the government, and hand himself into the authorities and in return the government would give him what he started the war to get - destroy the extradition treaty with the US and allow him to build his own prison.

So he built la Catedral. Took a year to build. Perched on the top of the hill the mansion/ palace had swimming pools, soccer pitches, waterbeds. Every one of Escobars closest men had his own section of the prison.

The entire prisons power control was in Escobars room. The guards were chosen by him.

The Colombian national football team would come over to have kickabouts, the wives would visit every day apart from those days where Brazilian models were flown in instead.

Eventually they even started bringing rival drug bosses into the prison to kill them.

At that point the army was sent in to arrest him for real but he escaped.