• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worlds Warm-up: Who will win it

Well?

• Another favorite and i'll tell you which one:

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Since the Vuelta is done, I'm really looking forward to the worlds and the course doesn't promise a great chance of surprises I think it's time for a poll.

Who will take the most beautiful jersey in cycling (apart from the fish jersey a few vueltas back) next week?

Please motivate :)

I'll go with Cunego. Showed awesome form and is imo the best one-day racer in the world. If the Italian team falls apart like they used to I hope for Canc.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Well i´ll have to guess/predict cunego to win, mainly because of his to stage wins and I think he is drug free and the peloton is getting this way too giving him a great chance. He looks to be on good form, on team italia and I think he had good talent for this type of race.

Although it is very hard to predict who will win, EBH I think will have a very good performance(norway have a large team don´t they?), maybe it could be some guy from the norwegian team surprising everyone :S..... Also Cancellara I think he can´t be written off with it being in switzerland, does anyone know how he plans to approach this, is he focusing on the time trial or the road race(he´s won enough time trials allready) or going all out for both..

My prediction is cunego though.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Aussies will gate crash the spanish and italians party. Evans or gerrans will take home the win.

Gerrans might be up there, I doubt he can compete with the likes of cunego though, and Evans has never convinced me to be a one day rider, so i don't think he will show here, he certainly wont be going solo to the line (he lacks the accelration to drop riders on climbs... we've seen this so much in the past 2 years) maybe he could pull off a sprint. depends on the selection though. highly doubt he will be there at the end though.

Spartacus to surprise in the rr and repeat the olympics.
win ITT
Podium RR
Cunego for the rainbow ,A. Schleck for 2nd. Or visa versa (my top 2 prediction anyway)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Gerrans might be up there, I doubt he can compete with the likes of cunego though, and Evans has never convinced me to be a one day rider, so i don't think he will show here, he certainly wont be going solo to the line (he lacks the accelration to drop riders on climbs... we've seen this so much in the past 2 years) maybe he could pull off a sprint. depends on the selection though. highly doubt he will be there at the end though.

Spartacus to surprise in the rr and repeat the olympics.
win ITT
Podium RR
Cunego for the rainbow ,A. Schleck for 2nd. Or visa versa (my top 2 prediction anyway)

I agree with you on gerrans, this course might be a bit too hilly for him. On evans tho, he's always done well on fleche and if he timed his effort/sprint. right he may of beaten kirchen in 07. Australains do have the 3rd strongest team for the worlds in my opinion though we are putting a very weak tt team in (wurf & hansen). Did you hear that Ch One will be televising the event from 9:30 on Saturday night. I'll be watching that ch all day with the AFL Grand Final then the Worlds. what a day of sport that will be. By the way, who do you barrack for in the footy?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
eagles. :D

In terms of this course I don't think Australia have the 3rd strongest team. Next year they will be a force to be reckoned with; hopefully sutton continues to devolp, he could well be a darkhorse for the 10' title.

and no i didn't...:D but blahhh have something on that night, hopefully get home with some time to spare. but your aware saturday is under womens/23s though? surely they will show sunday too...

Aug 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I agree with you on gerrans, this course might be a bit too hilly for him. On evans tho, he's always done well on fleche and if he timed his effort/sprint. right he may of beaten kirchen in 07. Australains do have the 3rd strongest team for the worlds in my opinion though we are putting a very weak tt team in (wurf & hansen). Did you hear that Ch One will be televising the event from 9:30 on Saturday night. I'll be watching that ch all day with the AFL Grand Final then the Worlds. what a day of sport that will be. By the way, who do you barrack for in the footy?

Hey man is this confirmed?! I knew they were broadcasting it for 2010 (Geelong of course) but are they doing it for this year?!? I've been trying to find an announcement that confirms it but can't. Would be so awesome if they do

EDIT: nevermind had a quick look - http://ten.com.au/hdtvguide_search.htm - select sunday, it seems they are dropping in and out of live coverage? Damn.. would have been awesome to have the entire race.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
battery89 said:
Hey man is this confirmed?! I knew they were broadcasting it for 2010 (Geelong of course) but are they doing it for this year?!? I've been trying to find an announcement that confirms it but can't. Would be so awesome if they do

EDIT: nevermind had a quick look - http://ten.com.au/hdtvguide_search.htm - select sunday, it seems they are dropping in and out of live coverage? Damn.. would have been awesome to have the entire race.

on liggetts twiiter he said that he was doing it with Ch 10/ONE and it would be live. BIG DISSAPOINTMENT if it isn't live

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Cerberus said:
I'll go with Valverde, He's clearly in good shape and he's a great finisher. Cunego look good to though.

I think you might be right about vallverde, he´s a great rider, but I am guessing he´ll be mentally done after the vuelta and wont have the ame motivation to win it now. Although I would not write him off either :S

Infact I wouldn´t write 50% of the starting field off.....

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
One thing I admire about Cunego is how his talent always comes through in the end - he's been called a disappointment and even a wasted talent, but nevertheless here he is as the biggest favorite for the worlds. I hope he can play the part better than at LBL.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
My pick is Cunego...done!! However, I have an upset special....yes..if Cunego falters look no further than Johnny Hoogerland to snap up the rainbow jersey!! You heard it here first!!

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Cunego might very well win this.

I'm not so sure about EBH. Based on his comments in the media lately I think he plans to go all out on the TT and hope for a place on the podium. And there will probably be discussions within the norwegian team during the race to decide who'll they work for. Hushovd or EBH. Hushovd doesn't stand a chance, but I don't think he realises that.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
I voted Cunego, but I think someone unexpected could quite likely do it. Being marked as the favourite won't help Cunego. I sort of think that another Spanish or Italian rider might win. In fact, the Spanish team might end up strongest if the selections are being made on the climbs. Samuel Sanchez? I can't see how Andy Schleck can stay away to win, the climbs aren't long enough to gain that much time. Cancellara and Evans have a home advantage, but I don't think Cancellara will be able to follow the dozens of attacks on the climbs. Gerrans is worth a mention because he's in good form, possibly likes the course, and seems tactically really smart.

1. Cunego, 2. Sanchez, 3.Gerrans.

Funny the faith in Edvald Boasson Hagen.

Especially considering the fact he has proven 0.00000 in hilly races, let stand hilly races of 250+ km.
In the ENECO Tour he was dropped a few times by Joost Posthuma on steep short climbs, hardly the ones we will see in Mendrisio.

Nearly all victories of Hagen this year were mass or group sprints. He hardly showed to be a good races for the type of race Mendrisio is.

I really do not understand the faith in Hagen for this type of world championship.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Pharazon said:
i gotta say Sparticus for this one

I think he'll be good for the TT, but how is he going to beat Cunego, Valverde et al on this type of course? All I would say is I'd be really impressed if he did it.

Evans lives nearby. I hope that gives him some advantage. I just think that like Andy Schleck, he might have trouble taking the victory from the final group.

Anyone think of a rider who is considered a sprinter who may be able to survive the hills?

taiwan said:
I think he'll be good for the TT, but how is he going to beat Cunego, Valverde et al on this type of course? All I would say is I'd be really impressed if he did it.

Anyone think of a rider who is considered a sprinter who may be able to survive the hills?

Freire if he has any form. He also has a strong team to bring him up even if he loses a bit ground. And Cancellara could do his 2 km attack a la Milano Sanremo 2008.

TRENDING THREADS