• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worried about next year

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
I have the uncomfortable feeling that Sky are going to keep the program going through Worlds. Whether they do so or not, I think the rest of the peloton has seen enough to conclude they need to step up, or reinstate, their programs if they want to have any results. Problem is, many of them will not do this as skilfully as Sky. Or they may not enjoy the favor of the powers that be. So, I fear we are going to see an increased number of AAFs next year (on non-Sky teams). Cancellara, anyone? He must be feeling pretty frustrated right now.

Unfortunately, this will be taken by some as evidence that Sky is clean, while other teams are not. It's going to get worse before it gets better, folks. Anyone want to talk me off the ledge?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Speedzero said:
I have the uncomfortable feeling that Sky are going to keep the program going through Worlds. Whether they do so or not, I think the rest of the peloton has seen enough to conclude they need to step up, or reinstate, their programs if they want to have any results. Problem is, many of them will not do this as skilfully as Sky. Or they may not enjoy the favor of the powers that be. So, I fear we are going to see an increased number of AAFs next year (on non-Sky teams). Cancellara, anyone? He must be feeling pretty frustrated right now.

Unfortunately, this will be taken by some as evidence that Sky is clean, while other teams are not. It's going to get worse before it gets better, folks. Anyone want to talk me off the ledge?

Why jump when you could get a ringside seat in the clinic?

At least some posters watch it from a safe distance knowing what is going on while others do the fanboy thing wanting to believe.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of certain teams to the Sky program.

I imagine Tenerife will be busy with teams and doctors next year.

Big Doopie said:
why canc?

he was a 0 on the blood doping list leak. a zero.

not saying he isn't doping, but i think he is an odd name to specify here.

That list was only for the run up to the TdF. It says nothing about what the numbers were in the run up to the cobbled classics. For all we know he was a ten in March.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Big Doopie said:
why canc?

he was a 0 on the blood doping list leak. a zero.

not saying he isn't doping, but i think he is an odd name to specify here.

Not saying he is, at all. I wasn't trying to identify other people who are or may be doping. I was trying to think of people whose competitive position is most affected by this year's, shall we say, developments, and therefore who will have the most incentive/temptation to dope going into next year.

Of course, I acknowledge Spartacus may also conclude he would have done just fine but for all the mishaps he had this year.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
That list was only for the run up to the TdF. It says nothing about what the numbers were in the run up to the cobbled classics. For all we know he was a ten in March.

Exactly. I wonder what Tom was this March.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Speedzero said:
Of course, I acknowledge Spartacus may also conclude he would have done just fine but for all the mishaps he had this year.

That's just what I wanted to say reading the first part of your post. Physically, I think he was there for his goals. Without all the injuries, I think he would have won Flanders, podiumed Roubaix, won the Suisse TTs and the Olympic RR, and probably would have gotten bronze in the TT. I think riders such as Nibali might be more frustrated by the difference in physical performance when compared to Wiggins & co.

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Montanus said:
Froome, Henao, Uran and Porte all top 10?

i think there will be more riders doping which makes me really sad because Machado never doped and he has been working really hard to top 10 in this Vuelta, it will be really hard for him to do that with a juiced field :(

May 26, 2010
Visit site
iZnoGouD said:
i think there will be more riders doping which makes me really sad because Machado never doped and he has been working really hard to top 10 in this Vuelta, it will be really hard for him to do that with a juiced field :(

Tiago Machado? He rides for Bruyneel! :confused:

iZnoGouD

BANNED
Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Tiago Machado? He rides for Bruyneel! :confused:

it doesn't necessarily mean he is doping you know
Machado is really innocent he even believes that Lance Armstrong was clean, he admires him a lot :eek:
i think that Bruyneel has a strategy with Machado he will want him to keep racing clean in his own world and then when he get's frustated with not good enough results he will advance to the juice and Machado will win a GT :p

BroDeal said:

is that really how it works? they change supicion rating that quickly? i didn't think they took enough tests to have a "seasonal" suspicion list. i thought the reason the blood passport took a while to operate is that it required multiple testing. how would you go from let's say an 8 in April to a 0 in June. if your tests showed any fluctuation from April, wouldn't you be even more suspect?

btw. not saying cancellera doesn't dope. though his tour form over the years has hardly been less than his spring form.

but please let me know if that is really how the blood passport works. the suspicion list can literally change dramatically month to month? i thought once it has been established over a long period that you have had unnatural fluctuations, you are warned and then targetted.

Speedzero said:

I predict that WWIII will break out before next July as the Anglo-Saxons enter a team in the Tour d'Iran lead by Lance Obama and Bradley Cameron. No TDF to worry about.

Come think of it. It is a good way of exposing cheats and dopers:

A) Take the good westerners (good guys).

B) Beef and juice them up with bulletproof backing and "a program" that is so good and smooth it might inspire Mr Armstrongs second comeback.

C) Frustate the other guys, tease them and make them crumble over something even remotely alike Skys "program" (well, their sponsors is gonna need it) and let them in the process expose themselves into oblivion. Bio-passport is far more insecure and takes too long time.

D) When mission accomplished. Sky are leaving the scene in quiet, with records intact and them damn foreigners cheater exposed and erased. Win-win.

They are here for the good of the sport.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Froome may have something on Sky, but why in gods name would they risk anything with Henao Uran and Porte?

lol
they didn't risk anything with Porte? That top 8 climber at the Tour?

Big Doopie said:
is that really how it works? they change supicion rating that quickly? i didn't think they took enough tests to have a "seasonal" suspicion list. i thought the reason the blood passport took a while to operate is that it required multiple testing. how would you go from let's say an 8 in April to a 0 in June. if your tests showed any fluctuation from April, wouldn't you be even more suspect?

btw. not saying cancellera doesn't dope. though his tour form over the years has hardly been less than his spring form.

but please let me know if that is really how the blood passport works. the suspicion list can literally change dramatically month to month? i thought once it has been established over a long period that you have had unnatural fluctuations, you are warned and then targetted.

I thought that too.

Looking back at the WADA report on the 2010 Tour, they say that

'A rider identified as having a priority index of ten was not tested for either urine or blood from 3 April to the start of the Tour. '

http://www.wada-ama.org/Documents/W...endent-Observer/WADA_IO_Report_TDF2010_EN.pdf

(roughly the middle of page 19)

This suggests that the rider had 'achieved' the 10 before 3 April rather than in the build-up to the tour. Therefore, this lead me to believe that the passport score was one where your score reflected your 'worst' passport performances. Just my guess though.

jsem94 said:
Please, they don't have to humiliate everyone else picking up the ENTIRE podium in Sky. That would make it WAY too obvious.

While this seems like the most reasonable thing to do your guess might be a bit to premature. At some point i´ll guess they want to earn what they have harvest all season long.

But they might save it for the Worlds with Rogers possible in a better shot for the bronze.

TRENDING THREADS