• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worst cyclist that won a monument

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Von Mises said:
Its not about Cavendish, it about the fact that Lomabrdia´s position in calendar hurts it. Riders will say about spring classics "it is my destiny", but they will not say it about Lombardia. I am sure than even in Gilberts mind Lombardia comes far behind spring races.

Gilbert is from Liege lol. Though he said Lombardia was his biggest win in 2010. ;)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Von Mises said:
Its not about Cavendish, it about the fact that Lomabrdia´s position in calendar hurts it. Riders will say about spring classics "it is my destiny", but they will not say it about Lombardia. I am sure than even in Gilberts mind Lombardia comes far behind spring races.

Watch the 2008 edition of Lombardia and tell me no-one cares about it. Utter carnage, everyone going full gas because it was the last race of the season. Even last year in appalling weather you had an absolutely packed field.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Gilbert is from Liege lol. Though he said Lombardia was his biggest win in 2010. ;)

this is the worst rider to win a monument not the most disliked by you. :rolleyes:

As I mentioned Iglinsky, Zaugg probably wont win again whereas Goss, Ciolek are likely to win big races in the future and naming Cavendish as unworthy is kind of pathetic. Gerrans is pretty uninspiring to be fair but you cant argue with his results.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
this is the worst rider to win a monument not the most disliked by you. :rolleyes:

As I mentioned Iglinsky, Zaugg probably wont win again whereas Goss, Ciolek are likely to win big races in the future and naming Cavendish as unworthy is kind of pathetic. Gerrans is pretty uninspiring to be fair but you cant argue with his results.

Cav's a bad one day rider. Pretty much always misses the right group in any kind of one day race that isn't totally flat, even if it's a 1.2 rated race or something. I mention him for that alone lol.

I doubt Ciolek will turn into a big winner from now of on, same goes for Goss and Gerrans.

El Pistolero said:
Cav's a bad one day rider. Pretty much always misses the right group in any kind of one day race that isn't totally flat, even if it's a 1.2 rated race or something. I mention him for that alone lol.

I doubt Ciolek will turn into a big winner from now of on, same goes for Goss and Gerrans.

I agree that Cavendish is more of a bunch sprinter for grand tours. Tactically seems to often get caught out in the classics. I think Ciolek benefited from the shortening of the race at MSR and an impressive win but not convinced that he will now be a regular winner. Goss is a bit of a mystery. Another one of these young riders who starts his career well then goes missing. Not sure what is going on there. Gerrans won MSR with his experience. He reacted immediately to Cancellara when others hesitated and rode a great race. He has always had a decent sprint, easily good enough to beat Cancellara, and Nibali who sprints like a postman. The only way Gerrans would win an Ardennes classic would be if Gilbert, Rodriguez, Sagan etc.....all had a bad day which rarely happens. Gerrans is always considered for top 10 in those races but just does not have the uphill kick to beat the best. At the moment he seems to be getting back to form and will have to be a top 5 contender again for Amstel. Not a regular winner but capable of an upset if things go his way like at MSR.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
del1962 said:
Cuddles

10 char

After the season he'd had it was a wonder he even showed up at the Olympic Games. His participation in the Canadian races, albeit cancelled, was more about sponsor wishes and money than glory. So his absence from the start of Lombardia is irrelevant.

Looking back over the start lists for the previous years it's clear that every year there is a quality field, so devaluing the wins of riders like Zaug on that basis is flawed.

Re: Re:

Jspear said:
jmdirt said:
Every topics should have at least two or three threads! :rolleyes:

I think some people just don't know how to use the search engine. I know I have a very hard time using it, even though it's probably suppose to be very simple.
The search function is poor, but you can also scroll several pages before tossing up a duplicate thread.

EDIT: Doing an old school scroll search is made more difficult by the number of duplicate threads.

Guys Zaugg beat in that supposedly weak Lombardia field:

Philippe Gilbert (1st CQ 2011)
Joaquím Rodríguez (2nd CQ 2011)
Samuel Sánchez (7th CQ 2011)
Vincenzo Nibali (13th CQ 2011)
Giovanni Visconti (16th CQ 2011)
Damiano Cunego (17th CQ 2011)
Greg van Avermaet (18th CQ 2011)
Dan Martin (24th CQ 2011)
Marco Marcato (25th CQ 2011)
Ivan Basso (30th CQ 2011)
Daniel Moreno (33rd CQ 2011)
Domenico Pozzovivo (36th CQ 2011)
Rigoberto Urán (45th CQ 2011)
Jakob Fuglsang (51st CQ 2011)
Rui Costa (54th CQ 2011)
Igor Antón (61st CQ 2011)
Thibaut Pinot (62nd CQ 2011)
Chris Anker Sørensen (78th CQ 2011)
Janez Brajkovic (83rd CQ 2011)

Lots of strong riders in the DNFs too. That was a pretty good field. Like Hitch said in the old thread, it was just weird, Zaugg had an absolute career day, he didn't fluke win it from a miscalculation or get in the right move to nick the sprint from; he was the strongest rider in the race.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

jmdirt said:

Yeah, because I'm really going to look through the entire forum before I create a thread to then necro-bump a thread that has been dead for 3 years. :rolleyes:

Re:

El Pistolero said:
42x16ss said:
Gerrans? Really? Yes, he won MSR in the ugliest way possible but his palmares is fairly solid (Stages in all 3 GT's, multiple top 10's in all Ardennes classics, GP Plouay, GP Montreal, GC TdU to name a few).

Having said that he's not the type of rider you'd expect to win there, a LBL win would be less surprising.

Meaningless races. He's a wheelsucker.

Milan-San Remo:

Cavendish
Freire
Goss
Gerrans
Ciolek

Ronde van Vlaanderen:

Stijn Devolder
Stijn Devolder
Fabian Cancellara
Nick Nuyens
Tom Boonen

Paris-Roubaix:

Tom Boonen
Tom Boonen
Fabian Cancellara
Johan Van Summeren
Tom Boonen

LBL:

Alejandro Valverde
Andy Schleck
Alexandr Vinokourov
Philippe Gilbert
Maxim Iglinsky

Giro di Lombardia:

Damiano Cunego
Philippe Gilbert
Philippe Gilbert
Oliver Zaugg
Joaquim Rodriguez

--

Bolded names have in common that they only won one classic in their career. And Andy Schleck is by far the most talented one of the bolded names.

World RR is a classic. Time to unbold Cav ;)

And Cav may not be able to do anything in Lombardia but Schleck can't do anything on the track, and Cav is better at sprinting than Schleck ever was at climbing

PremierAndrew said:

And Cav may not be able to do anything in Lombardia but Schleck can't do anything on the track, and Cav is better at sprinting than Schleck ever was at climbing

Did you just quote a 3 year old post without bothering to read it?

Monuments. Monuments specifically.

El Pistolero said:
jmdirt said:

Yeah, because I'm really going to look through the entire forum before I create a thread to then necro-bump a thread that has been dead for 3 years. :rolleyes:
Yes, its always best to be lazy and muck it up for others who make an effort! :eek:

You've been on the forum long enough to know that the thread already existed.

It was dead for a reason.

GuyIncognito said:
PremierAndrew said:

Did you just quote a 3 year old post without bothering to read it?

Monuments. Monuments specifically.

Did you just quote my post without reading the post I replied to? Monuments aren't the only classics.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

jmdirt said:
El Pistolero said:
jmdirt said:

Yes, its always best to be lazy and muck it up for others who make an effort! :eek:

You've been on the forum long enough to know that the thread already existed.

It was dead for a reason.

Yes, I can remember every thread ever created on this forum.

Damn, you must be fun at parties.

TRENDING THREADS