• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Worst/Dissapointing season so far

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Cunego has been a failure .No spring classic only one podium and the Giro what can i say, not even top ten and that was his seasons goal.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Ballan has had mononucleosis this spring, so his lack of results were expected. In my mind Cunego has been more of a disappointment. He's had no obvious illness, yet far from reaching his goals.

Evans.... For his sake, I really hope he's figured out why his form was so bad in the tour.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
dekker? :)

the teams lampre and silence-lotto failed this year.
silence didn't even come close to winning a 'home' classic and evans failed horribly at the tour.
lampre as decribed above. ballan was sick, can't help that. but cunego.... :(

i still think with a different state of mind cunego could win every classic that doesn't have cobbles.

These may not be the biggest disappointment, but based on expectations and previous performances these can be considered also (I am trying to list a couple different ones from whats already been put down)

Ciolek- He look like he was ready to emerge as one of the Top sprinters, but has had very disappointing results

McEwen-He is getting up there in age, and he has had injuries, but still he has not performed this year.

Fabiann Wegmann- I just read he is battling back problems, just haven't gotten the big result as of yet.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Carl0880 said:
These may not be the biggest disappointment, but based on expectations and previous performances these can be considered also (I am trying to list a couple different ones from whats already been put down)

Ciolek- He look like he was ready to emerge as one of the Top sprinters, but has had very disappointing results

McEwen-He is getting up there in age, and he has had injuries, but still he has not performed this year.

Fabiann Wegmann- I just read he is battling back problems, just haven't gotten the big result as of yet.
I was expecting Ciolek to break out, but he really was nowhere to be seen and same for the classics and such. Maybe Cavs rapid rise has spoiled my expectations for a young sprinter. I don't think Cipo ripped it up out of the gate and I know Petacchi and McEwen had years for grand tour stage wins.

Jun 30, 2009
Visit site
i don't think it's completely fair to say cunego and ballan. they both had absurdly great 1-offs, and were never really that great of riders. this is more normalizing than it is disappointing. i'd agree with whoever said evans. i'd nominate tom boonen as well.

Worst: Fuji or Silence-Loser

Disappointing: Lampre or Garmin

Certainly it's not Lampre's fault that Ballan got sick, but you have to believe they were expecting Ballan to win before August and more than once, at that; not to mention they probably wanted Cunego to do SOMETHING before Lombardia.

Garmin, well, I like them, like them a lot, but they've been disappointing. At the beginning of the season their main message was, 'this year we win.' What have they got besides stages at P-N and the Giro? Columbia, even with them being the Cav Show almost 24/7/365, has more guys winning races than Garmin.

Garmin would do well to move from 'win the TTT in GTs/do as good as we can in the Tour' mindset to the Saxo mindset. Garmin aims for the GTs, but they can't deliver. Saxo has a rider and a plan to win every race. They have 4 or 5 guys winning stuff all through the year. If somebody on Saxo crashes or has an off race it's not like the team's season is wrecked.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
dekker? :)

the teams lampre and silence-lotto failed this year.
silence didn't even come close to winning a 'home' classic and evans failed horribly at the tour.
lampre as decribed above. ballan was sick, can't help that. but cunego.... :(

i still think with a different state of mind cunego could win every classic that doesn't have cobbles.

Evans was a bit sick as well. He coughed up 1/2 a litre of phlegm early in 1 of the mountain stages. Overall Ballan has been a dissapointing World Champion.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Mr.DNA said:
If Cunego wins Lombardia again, could his season be considered a success?

he'll probably won't consider his whole season a succes.
i would, when you win a monument you're good for that year.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Cad Evans
Iban Bassepo
Micky Rogers
Danny boy Martin
Alex Val boy Green
Danny boy Lucy
Tommy Gun Boooooem
Sweet OGrady
Jens mechanical V
Born again Millar
Sassy Carlos

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Di Luca and Landis. The former performed but then got popped big time (I'd call that disappointing), the latter has not only not won, he has been way, wayyyyyyy off the back.

TRENDING THREADS